SAU Community

Safe Boost Level

Jnr

Whats the highest safest boost level for a S1 with standard smic, cat back 3inch and panel filter?

cheers

Jnr

Hey Jnr, I'm probably the worst person to answer this, and I think you'll find its been covered many times,

but I think you can run 10psi without any problems at all.

some say that 12 is ok but I think 10 is the 100% 'safe' level.

I would say 10psi is safe....12psi is ok but you are pushing the absolute limit of the turbo 14psi + will destroy the turbo (this is assuming you have the stock turbo)

I've currently running 11psi on my car

Stock Turbo

Stock SMIC

Panel Filter

Full 3" Exhaust system

Blitz iD Spec R Boost controller

• 2 years later...

If you're talking about maintaining a long life for the turbo, then 10psi should be as high as you go.

I've got an EBC set at 9psi low and 12psi high, but VERY rarely drive on high boost.

ive got an EBC on my M35 have run daily on about 9psi, when i wanna have a bit of fun 12-14 psi..... for the last three months.

wouldnt mind hijacking this and asking what people run on their M35s? :thanks: (and of course how long they have run it for! :D)

Yep, 1bar will be fine for your M35's engine.

RS from factory run about 0.8bar (11.6psi) and it would seem that the ARX comes from factory running around 1bar (14psi) - maybe due to the extra weight?

Keep in mind that the turbo WILL pack it in at some point, whatever pressure you run, but once it is rebuilt 19psi for everyday driving is fine (just keep the engine temps down as much as possible)

Edited by iamhe77

RS from factory run about 0.8bar (11.6psi) and it would seem that the ARX comes from factory running around 1bar (14psi) - maybe due to the extra weight?

Keep in mind that the turbo WILL pack it in at some point, whatever pressure you run, but once it is rebuilt 19psi for everyday driving is fine (just keep the engine temps down as much as possible)

[/quote

I'm, at long last, running on 10 psi. Cruise drive mostly about 6/7. At that boost, oil temp stays at around 80 celsius. When pushed up the mountain,as you do, oil temp can go to 110.There is a small water cooled oil cooler std on the S1, but I think i will be getting front mounted air cooled one for the oil.

that with any mods? injectors and ECU all ok running 19psi?

Any pinging? you 98/95/100 ron?

Stock ECU & injectors (although they will be about at full cycle)

Shell Vpower, Mobil 98 or BP Ultimate, no pinging.

Intake and turbo back exhaust will be needed.. AND ideally a good intercooler

• 4 weeks later...

Stock ECU & injectors (although they will be about at full cycle)

Shell Vpower, Mobil 98 or BP Ultimate, no pinging.

Intake and turbo back exhaust will be needed.. AND ideally a good intercooler

I had mine at about 19 with a little turbosmart boosty

I think I gave it a week before the turbo told me to "F off" and died.

i didnt think it would be safe right now seeing as it says on the informeter that the injectors are running 94% off 14psi(Stock) but maybe thats me running rich.