SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

You need to put in an application to change engine number, if it is the same engine they will do it in 5 minutes, if it is a different or larger capacity one they may send you back a list of conditions that you must meet and have a full inspection to prove that you have done the items.

Defected should not make any difference.

So Rolls if i was to put a neo engine in my 33, would i still need to revert everything back to stock or would they just check the engine numbers and away i go?

I'm confused, you are putting an engine from a defected car into a non defected car? If so providing the engine is stock you will be fine, when you swap an engine they do an engine number check, however if they notice that it is obviously modified they will refer you for a full roadworthy, eg what happens when you get defected, so if it is modded you will almost certainly need to return it to stock.

If the car is registered then you don't need an engine number check and you just fill the form out and away you go, so could get away with mods this way, though imo you should be making an effort to make them all stock and use a high flow, that way you have no issue with getting defected because it WILL happen if you drive a modded skyline.

Edited by Rolls

I'm confused, you are putting an engine from a defected car into a non defected car? If so providing the engine is stock you will be fine, when you swap an engine they do an engine number check, however if they notice that it is obviously modified they will refer you for a full roadworthy, eg what happens when you get defected, so if it is modded you will almost certainly need to return it to stock.

If the car is registered then you don't need an engine number check and you just fill the form out and away you go, so could get away with mods this way, though imo you should be making an effort to make them all stock and use a high flow, that way you have no issue with getting defected because it WILL happen if you drive a modded skyline.

Mine was a different scenario to the guy that asked about transferring a "defected cars engine to a non defected chassis". Already have it fairly stealth and registered however there are a few parts that would need removal if i got defected. Just wanted to know the process here for switching an engine if need be. I don't really want to go over the pits if i don't have to like most people.

Don't know if the rules have changed or not, about 5 years ago i put a 1JZ into an NA ma70 supra, i called the rego office first and they told me to just fill out the vehicle modification form, they didn't even need to check the car.

• 4 months later...

Heya guys,

Does anyone know the rules for baby seat anchors? My car has 3 welded in but only 1 bolt screwed in the middle seat, the two side ones had been unscrewed when I got the car and were not supplied with it. The side ones can not be seen unless the parcel shelf is removed due to speakers covering them, will I need bolts screwed in all 3 to pass regency?

I didn't have them and the guy at regency said you need them, however as that was the only defect (minor) he said "I trust you will install them" and didn't worry about it.

You have to cut holes in the carpet on the parcel shelf to put them in so up to you what you want to do, maybe just temporarily remove the parcel shelf so it is harder for them to argue. Call them up and ask even.

Mine has holes through the speaker grill, and the bracket it screws in to sits under the speaker, so someones taken them out to install speakers instead.

I've also got a bit of a crack on the front bar and front mud guards removed from inside the wheel well, likely to be problems? Trying to push it through before Christmas but if I need a front bar/guards/repeat visit it's unlikely! Just remembered the reo has a couple of nicks taken out for FMIC also, but I've heard varying reports on people getting picked up for that.

Cheers for the tips.

Edited by nicr4wks

• 2 months later...

hey guys has anyone ever heard of the type mr r33 coming with a factory turbo timer? mine has one, its a button with the same turbo pic on it as the one on the dash cluster and its molded into the the plastic next to the steering wheel, its in no way hidden and looks very stock. Anyone heard of that before, i worry about it getting me defected.

Haven't heard if it.

If worried remove it. Actually just remove it. They are dead set pointless.

I bet it is not standard anyway. Go digging behind the dash and see what you find.

Edited by Ben C34

• 3 months later...

Fs

R32 front gtr uprights and hubs $300

R32 gtr plastic brake ducts guard liner 100

R32 gtr pwr steer reserve 40

R32 gtr booster master cylinder

R32 gtr booster n clutch cylinder

R32 gtr abs module

R32 vertex side skirts 150

R32 drivers door $80

R32 boot with s spec wing 100

R32 bare cradle hicks 20

R32 front strut brace 50

R34 front disk n calipers

R33 hks supper dragger exhaust 200

R33 steering column and key 80

R34 ac compressor

• 7 months later...

So my car got stolen several years ago, the aholes stripped it completely and left it on the side of the road. The compliance plate was removed from the firewall as was the ID plate - I got the ID plate but not the compliance one...

I've been able to register it still so long as I apply for an 'exemption for compliance plate' each year, which I do,

has anyone else been through this process? Is it a return-to-stock regency job or just an ID check?

Nothing dramatic, I have however cut the reo bar to fit the GTR front bar & FMIC.

When it was stolen they attempted to torch it so i had to buy a complete interior, including seatbelts etc. which I've replaced, I'm just not too sure how far they'd go over it with a fine toothed comb.

If you do have to go through regency, the cut reo bar will be a no-no. It's a bit shitty you have to do this every year. What happened last year when you had to do the same thing?

Edited by Burger

• 1 year later...

Anyone give me opinions/info/insight into legally modifying cars in SA. I just want to know how lenient or strict they are in passing cars that are modified in SA.

I have a stock Nissan 370Z, just been lowered and have aftermarket wheels on. I have the plan on doing a Twin Turbo conversion with many smaller/supporting mods.

Below is my full mod list i am planning on doing soon:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAM TT RHD Kit :

http://aamcompetition.com/i-24074943-aam-competition-rhd-nissan-370z-twin-turbo-system.html

AAM R Line Oil Cooler kit:

http://aamcompetition.com/i-21817934-aam-competition-370z-r-line-oil-cooler-system.html

AAM 4 Bar MAP Sensor:

http://aamcompetition.com/i-24074896-aam-competition-4-bar-map-sensor.html

CJM S1.E Fuel System Upgrade:

http://cj-motorsports.com/products/cjm-s1e-fuel-system-vq37vhr

OEM GTR Spark Plugs:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/ignition-system/nissan/oem-vr38dett-spark-plug-p-6053.html

340lph Fuel Pump:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/fuel-system/aeromotive/aeromotive-340-lph-stealth-fuel-pump-11142offset-inlet-inline-p-5289.html

DeatschWerks Upgraded fuel pump relay kit:

https://conceptzperformance.com/deatschwerks-fuel-pump-hardwire-installation-kit-fphwk_p_13447.php

Deatschwerks 650cc Injectors:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/fuel-system/deatschwerks/deatschwerks-vq-drop-in-injectors-p-3165.html

Fast Intentions 3" Twin Turbo CBE w/ 18" resonators:

http://www.fastintentions.com/product_info.php/products_id/165

Z1 Urethane Motor Mounts:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/z1-motorsports-370zg37r35-urethane-motor-mounts-p-5587.html

Z1 Urethane Transmission mounts:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/z1-motorsports-370zg37-urethane-transmission-mount-p-6580.html

CSF Upgraded Radiator:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/cooling/csf/csf-automatic-upgraded-radiator-with-condenser-370z-g37-p-4891.html

Whiteline Differential Bushing kit:

https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspension/whiteline/whiteline-differential-bushing-kit-350z-370z-g35-g37-p-5801.html

25 Row transmission cooler

EcuteK Tune

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that I am to complete a request for modification form and have it sent to DPTI. They will issue me statement of requirements and possibly require an engineers report. Then I am to book in for a roadworthy testing and possibly emissions testing.

I already have all the parts above except the Exhaust system, just waiting on that before I go ahead with the build. Planning on Willall racing do the build for me. Will keep the stock Akebono brakes, I think they should handle the increase in power.

I am aiming for about 310-330 rwkw on Pump98, stock is about 190-200 rwkw.

It is my only car and my DD currently. I am on the alcohol interlock system so I legally can only drive this car atm.

Just wanted to get peoples opinion if they think I will pass a road worthy inspection and or emission testing after the full build is done. Cheers.

Edited by shadow85

You have absolutely zero chance of getting any of that engineered or through Regency. They are VERY, very strict.

Pretty sure there are no circumstances in SA where you could get an aftermarket TT system engineered.

Last I heard we don't even have an emissions testing centre or anyone that can do it (used to be at Mistubishi, which is long gone). If I were you I would have a very long chat with Martin Donnon from Willall, but if you are wanting all of that to be legal, I can almost guarantee you that the answer will be a very strong NO. Your first and biggest problem is that no aftermarket ECUs/tuning solutions are street legal.

IMHO for the amount you are going to spend plus the value of your Z34 you would be MUCH better off buying a $100k 2nd hand R35GTR, which will make that sort of power stock and be built to properly handle it.

Hey mate I don't kow how correct you are about not being able to add a turbo charger to an N/A car and not being aloud to tune the ECU at all.

I was just reading the SA aftermarket modification webpage:

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/vehicles/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/aftermarket-components

And it seems in both cases I can add the Turbo kit or ECU tune, aslong as I can pass the emission testing. I am going to call DPTI and Martin later to confirm this.

And about the getting the GTR for $100K, I did consider this approach but even if I sold my Z and all the parts I have for my TT build, I would be lucky to get $70K. I would still be short $30K for a GTR. So that option is definitly a no go for me.

Fine, don't listen to my advice. I know it is technically possible, but you are up shit creek without a paddle as far as legality is concerned. You have obviously never dealt the Regency/DPTI before. For that matter it seems like you have never been pulled over by an SA cop before.

You are also forgetting to add the 10s of thousands it will cost you to get engineered/emission tested in your $70k vs $100k comparison. You seriously are not listening to what you are up against $$$-wise.

By far the biggest issue for you is the fact that even if you go the expense and trouble of getting it all engineered, the engineering certificate is not worth the paper it is written on. Time and time again SA cops have proven that even if you have the engineering paperwork in your glovebox they 1). can't and won't understand what is written on the document so send you to Regency to sort it out, and 2). their assumption always is that you have then gone and modified the car beyond the engineering specifications (which let's face it everyone does - even if it is adding 1psi of boost). The first time you get pulled over they WILL defect you if they are in even a mildly bad mood or their quota is low.

But go speak with Martin, I am sure he will tell you in one second whether it is a good or terrible idea. I know which one I am voting for. Honestly, I wish you good luck, but you asked for advice, and I am giving it. Having owned pretty highly modified S15s and R34s, I have been up against SAPOL/Regency many, many times. It is not fun.

It costs 10s of thousands to have a car engineered?? Wtf, I did not know this. If it were a few $K I would be ok with it but if you are really being honest its over $10K then yes I would be pretty f**ked.

You are rite I have never dealt with regency and SAPOL about car modifications before. I have no idea in this field that's why I came here.

I thought Regency are the ones who approve and give you the paper work or certificate to say it is legal and roadworthy to register and drive the car? So why do SAPOL send you back to the ones who issue the certificate, wouldnt that just be sending you in circles. And if they did suspect you modified the car more after the certificate and you proved to them you didnt by taking it to regency, can't you sue them or get the money back for making you goto Regency again for no reason? Surely they couldn't just continue to make you goto Regency and pay all the fees just because they suspect something?