SAU Community

Help I Accidentally Added Disel Into The Petrol Tank

MFC05

pull offf fuel return and run pump till empty, then fill up with fuel and drain another 10 or so litres out just to flush. We used to get all the hire cars with the same problem.

this is definitely the advice i'd be following too, except I'd pull out the fuel filter too, or even just pull the fuel feed line off the filter and drain it from there (pre filter). pump it all out. put 8-10 litres of fresh fuel into the tank and pump that out too. then fill up and drive. then fill it with some good fuel and hope for the best. pay more attention next time!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Query I guess, to URAS and Richard?

I understand that the 9 litres approx of fuel that you put into the tank, is intended to dilute down any residual diesel.

My query is...

i) would alcohol in V-Power Racing or even E10 be any more efficient in dissolving the diesel or

ii) would toluene be of help as an additonal item to the fuel or

iii) it wouldn't make any difference since 98RON has enough surfactants/detergents as additives anyway???

Tez

my car got through compliance without a fuel nozzle size thingy in it and it was complied legit and went through the normal channels, can't see why there aren't others out there without the nozzle hole, anyway those nozzles always fall off if they don't use the right glue..... still gotta be a duche to actually fill up the car with diesel and not notice.... plenty of warning..... the 30 odd cents/Litre price difference should have made you think lol....

good luck with the flushing, there shouldn't be any engine damage because the car wouldnt run on that much diesel, if it doesn't run theres no damage being done....

the car will smoke after its flushed and the spark plugs might clogg up....

^^^ Query I guess, to URAS and Richard?

I understand that the 9 litres approx of fuel that you put into the tank, is intended to dilute down any residual diesel.

My query is...

i) would alcohol in V-Power Racing or even E10 be any more efficient in dissolving the diesel or

ii) would toluene be of help as an additonal item to the fuel or

iii) it wouldn't make any difference since 98RON has enough surfactants/detergents as additives anyway???

Tez

it wont really matter as a bit is actually not too bad.....

on another unrelated note engine flushes are pretty much diesel anyway., so if your worried about it getting injected into the engine it will only clean up the carbon :P

my car got through compliance without a fuel nozzle size thingy in it and it was complied legit and went through the normal channels, can't see why there aren't others out there without the nozzle hole

Mine made it through without the nozzle restrictor, so much better without it.

The actual pump you'll find - wont go into the hole.

Thats what people are struggling with.

Diesel by law has to have a different fitting, so that this doesn't occur.

Actually, some servos have 2 different sized diesel pumps.

A few Caltex servos near me have a larger quick fill pump and a very unleaded sized diesel pump, I presume for VW's etc.

The small pump is even on the same bowser as the 91RON unleaded. When compared, I could not notice the difference in size between the pumps...

Having said that, seriously. How can you not look which pump you have picked up?

I mean, it's you pride and joy man!

I accidentally added the wrong fuel into my tank, what do i need to do now ?

sorry to be rude........

but how the hell did you put diesal in???????????

the 2 pumps at gastations have 2 different nozzles...............the pump u used shouldnt even of fit into your car........

the diesal has a larger nozzle which helps pass high amounts of diesal to trucks etc...but also they made it NOT to fit a petrol cars tank......

the petrol pump has a thin nozzle........which can sometimes be accidently put into the diesal tank but NOT the other way around......

• 4 weeks later...

Work in roadside assist for most euro veh and bmw is the only manufacture to produce deisel vehicles with different fuel nozzle.

Ulp bowsers dont fit or release catch. bmw is only manufacturer to offer assist when filled with wrong fuel!

deisel in ulp vehicle ok, flush it and go!

deisel veh with ulp = bang 5 metres up road!

I wish more vehicle makers follow bmw's lead!

100's of phone call each day from vw owners! dumb kents!!!

insurance companies must love it as not warranty(user error is not covered under warranty) and engine is usual 1/2 cost of new vehicle!

Edited by RED513