SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

hi roy

i just bought a new camera and it has been great , records straight to sd card

great sounds and great vision

really easy to use , has remote control and external microphone point which i use.

easy to get out of car and watch on telly or copy straight to computer.

http://www.vsport.com.au/ecommerce/?categoryID=157

this is vision from it recently, and it was setup quickly as i had bought it that day! the quality is quite a bit better again without the downgrading it for you tube.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6opg6Mdt0

cheers russ

+ 1

Well worth the money.

Hey guys, anyone seen/heard/used one of these?

http://www.hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;Product_ID=315

You are going to need one with gyro bw - other wise all your vids will be of where the car is facing rather than where it is going.

My experience is - the more you spend, the better it is.. We have 4 x 520 TVL bullets running to a quad box. these are then recorded onto a handicam. We also have handicam mounted centre of the cage.

I have it on good authority the handicam is the only way to shoot in differing lights. ie from inside the car looking out. The bullets must be mounted in a constant light source like pressed up against the screen.

For TT this year we are putting all the footage into a 2 x channel solid state recorder (XM-DVR Pro) so it is set n forget every morning. then we can upload from CF card to hard drive every evening.

The other thing we are using is a lanc.

The current system is horn except for the duration of the tapes when in SP mode.

google PDR100, DVR1000, XM-DVR Pro, GV-D1000, FFV Mini DVR Pro. They are a good price spread of recording devices.

TT

Cheers Greg!

Russell has kindly lent me a "box" which can take 4 pencil cams, but I have 2 only. It also has an aux microphone, a lance to switch the handycam on/off.

If I use this I'll still need to but a camera, and so far I haven't been able to get any sound from it. This is the problem we had at Burnie.

The main worry for me is the amount of bloody wiring in the system, if I do eventually get it all to work it just seems SO easy to bump one lousy wire in the heat of getting a helmet or whatever, and she's all over......

I'm torn, really am......

I bought a Hoytech camera and the footage was very average and the sound is delayed. I sent it back they said it was fixed, but it was still the same. Hoytech ended up returning my money.

I now use the POV1, I purchased mine form one of the guys I race against, here is his website

http://mgr.net.au/

His name is Mark Greenham, he is very easy to deal with and has the same interest as us, going fast in racecars. Tell him Ashly Barnett gave you the contact details and he might do a bit better!

For incar footage from my Series 6 RX7 see these links. You can click watch in high quality and the click full screen.

The footage is actually beter than the you tube stuff as you have to compress it for YouTube.

The best thing about this camera is how easy it is to download and edit on your computer.

Hope this helps

ashly

Guys, anyone know if the POV1 has anything uniquely motorsport related about it?

Was looking on the web yesterday and you can pick up a DV Recorder 320gig for around $300, add to that a small mic and camer, which plug straight in, and your only around the $500 mark.

Here is the recroder,

post-194-1233876106_thumb.jpg

Sharp Cam $120

post-194-1233876373_thumb.jpg

I got a Panasonic Digi Camera DMC FX36 which has a HD vid function and with a 16GB high speed card has heaps of memory. It's pocket sized, great quality, you get a free still camera with it! with a Leica lens (no joke in a lot of applications this gives my DSLR a very good run for its money). Biggest limitation is sound, which is important, and I don't think you can hook up an external mike either. Just a thought.

You got any sample vids? Im after another compact digital camera at the moment and if it does good HD and I can use it in-car it would be great..

Guys, anyone know if the POV1 has anything uniquely motorsport related about it?

Was looking on the web yesterday and you can pick up a DV Recorder 320gig for around $300, add to that a small mic and camer, which plug straight in, and your only around the $500 mark.

Here is the recroder,

post-194-1233876106_thumb.jpg

Sharp Cam $120

post-194-1233876373_thumb.jpg

These items use a hard disk to recorder to. The first bump you hit the drive corrupts and requires a format.

using solid state memory such as CF and SD cards (which have no moving parts) overcomes this.

These items use a hard disk to recorder to. The first bump you hit the drive corrupts and requires a format.

using solid state memory such as CF and SD cards (which have no moving parts) overcomes this.

Cool thanks Tim,

I've actually found an SD version which I'm waiting on pricing for, out of the UK. It's listed as 199 pounds which is far cheaper than the POV1. No doubt the quality won't be as good, but for someone like me who just does the odd track day should be fine. Comes with a screen to review, mic, cam and recorder.