SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

Cool thanks Tim,

I've actually found an SD version which I'm waiting on pricing for, out of the UK. It's listed as 199 pounds which is far cheaper than the POV1. No doubt the quality won't be as good, but for someone like me who just does the odd track day should be fine. Comes with a screen to review, mic, cam and recorder.

Before you go and spend in bulk have a look at these

Sandisk V-Mate (~$80 ebay)

Sony 1/3 ccd camera (~$90 ebay)

SD card of your choice

Cables and DC convertor

have a look here

http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/rallying-tec...ing-system.html

Its a bit diy, but can save a wad of cash

I thought they brought it down to 100g unless mounted to floor as of 1 January 2009, but looking on the CAMS website, I can only find a document saying "NOTE FOR COMPETITORS: It is foreshadowed that from 1 January 2009, the maximum weight of any camera, lens or recording unit mounted to other than the floor shall be 100g" however cannot find anything to say its mandatory yet.

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/techdocs/T-401[1].pdf

I suspect that it is mandatory, but I can't find any reference to it yet in the new CAMS manual.

Does anyone know if something happened to force the rule change? ie camera comes loose, fly's through cabin, knocks out driver, car out of control hits wall.

Or is it CAMS being CAMS

Does anyone know if something happened to force the rule change? ie camera comes loose, fly's through cabin, knocks out driver, car out of control hits wall.

Or is it CAMS being CAMS

That is an interesting question....I'd imagine that it would take a fair amount of force to break a camera away from its mounting (assuming it is a 1/2 decent mount) let alone it travelling with enough speed etc to hit a driver wearing a helmet and knock them out. In which case the car would've already been involved in an accident of some sort.

I'd say it the ol' OH&S people getting a little out of hand....

That really sucks. I just bought a camera late last year, and had a camera mount built into my cage... Not happy Jan

haha dane...doesnt built into the cage beat out bracket? otherwise just bolt it on like they've asked...or maybe it becomes part of the interior now haha

pain in the arses

A cradle should be attached to the safety cage where present by means of a clamp style bracket secured by at least two 6mm class 8.8 bolts.

• Where no safety cage is present, the cradle should be securely mounted to a substantial section of interior bodywork

• 1 month later...

I think the rule tightening came about due to the increased usage of in car cameras and video recorders now due to the relative cheapness of them and the explosion of youtube type video sharing sites.

It is an interesting thing and i have seen plenty of poorly mounted cameras in cars especially at club days and supersprints,

matt