Sandisk V-Mate (~$80 ebay)

Sony 1/3 ccd camera (~$90 ebay)

SD card of your choice

Cables and DC convertor

have a look here

http://www.bmsc.com.au/forums/rallying-tec...ing-system.html

Its a bit diy, but can save a wad of cash

time for a bump :-)

With something like the above, any idea how you would mount the V-mate and it's enclosure?

I want to avoid any drilling/cutting and in most cases will have a full interior?

time for a bump :-)

With something like the above, any idea how you would mount the V-mate and it's enclosure?

I want to avoid any drilling/cutting and in most cases will have a full interior?

Stick it in the Glovebox if your not keen on drilling etc

Yeah, thats' what i was thinking.

Glovebox then stuffed with some rags or something to stop it banging around.

Just gotta make sure i remember to put it in after scrutineering :-) A few places I've been to check the glovebox.

I was talking to the Hutch TV blokes and the cost of their footage was about the same as buying one of those cheap cameras, guessing they are the Go-Pro ones. Given I could buy a camera for the hire charge I didn't see the point but if Go-Pro are rubbish (especially in a rally car) maybe hiring is the way to go!

I took Russ' advice and bought a VIO POV1 from http://www.racerecall.com/pov1.html.

Its the 3rd system I've used but a real winner because its so easy to install and use. And recording to SD card in HD is great.

Now all I need is a video editor that is dead easy and handles widescreen HD footage. I've always used Windows Movie Maker in the past because its easy but it doesn't seem to handle widescreen or HD.

Hey everyone , thought I'd let you know about my little units I bring in from the US, "Archos ", 420 line bullit camera's that record onto either a 30,80,160 or 320 built in HDD or there is a version that has SD card recording as well, These units have a 4.3 inch tft touch screen for seting up and playback, plus can be used for lots of other stuff.

Link below is from a XU-1 on a BSCC Tarmac Rally at Willowbank on the 1st March this year. I use the 30 gig unit myself .

post-5226-1237821398_thumb.jpgpost-5226-1237821416_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone , thought I'd let you know about my little units I bring in from the US, "Archos ", 420 line bullit camera's that record onto either a 30,80,160 or 320 built in HDD or there is a version that has SD card recording as well, These units have a 4.3 inch tft touch screen for seting up and playback, plus can be used for lots of other stuff.

Link below is from a XU-1 on a BSCC Tarmac Rally at Willowbank on the 1st March this year. I use the 30 gig unit myself .

post-5226-1237821398_thumb.jpgpost-5226-1237821416_thumb.jpg

I use one of those. I have a 80gb 605 Wifi w/ DIY extended camera cord. Works good enough for me! the unit is actually a media player..i use it more for that...got mine when i was over in the states last year.

here's my sample -

That looks quite good mate. What sort of money is that setup?

Depending on the hard drive size , starting at $950 for the kit , which includes 12 volt adapter so you can record all day , bullit camera holder and bag.

Brad

Brad, when recroding on the track do you use the hard disc or and SD card?

I was looking at soemthing like this but everyone told me to saty away from the hard disc units as every bump causes it to skip and you loose anything recorded.

it wont skip on every bump, but track use will wreck the Hard disks in most cam corders and DV recorders. the constant vibration and sharp shocks will eventually wreck them. it's purely because hard disks have moving parts, and the platter is spinning at high rpm so all the vibration and sharp bumps don't do it any good. much better to stick with ye olde dv tape, or solid state memory (CF, SD card etc).

how does it compare with the POV kit on quality, ease of use? spec? it's pretty close on price.

it doesnt..video quality of the POV is much better..the difference is that the archos isn't just a video recorder..its a full on media player that does a fair bit that happens to have a helmet cam attachment.

the pov, being purpose built..would be better suited if you were serious about video recording imo.

i paid $670 for my archos + helmetcam + tv dock in in 2007

Aaron: Racechrono seems to work pretty well. I just downloaded it. Sweet! What GPS device do you use?

yeah it works really well..on flatter tracks anyway (haunted hills results were a bit mixed) ..i use a 10hz bluetooth gps from ebay

it doesnt..video quality of the POV is much better..the difference is that the archos isn't just a video recorder..its a full on media player that does a fair bit that happens to have a helmet cam attachment.

the pov, being purpose built..would be better suited if you were serious about video recording imo.

i paid $670 for my archos + helmetcam + tv dock in in 2007

ok, now we are getting closer to beer baron money. $670 is more like it. any advice on where and what to get to piece together a kit with a bullet cam and DV that records to SD or CF card?

ok, now we are getting closer to beer baron money. $670 is more like it. any advice on where and what to get to piece together a kit with a bullet cam and DV that records to SD or CF card?

i was actually looking at a previous post above with the DIY sandisk v-mate recorder + sony bullet cam from ebay and think its very reasonable..quality looks good too...thats if you can get these items still on ebay, etc.

Saw some of the guys samples

http://www.cullenrallysport.com/_mgxroot/HighQuality.mpg

http://www.cullenrallysport.com/_mgxroot/newcamera.mpg

and think that its great quality vs cost. only thing is i think he screwed up the aspect ratio that he recorded in..as the sony bullet cam's are not widescreen..if you have VLC or something change the aspect ratio on these videos to 4:3 and thats what you should expect..

if your hdd is mounted the right way (with the platters vertical, not horizontal), it should survive everything barring a latril impact.

i just shove mine in the glove box/center console surrounded by tshirts or whatever else thats soft you can shove in there to absorb sharp movement

Brad, when recroding on the track do you use the hard disc or and SD card?

I was looking at soemthing like this but everyone told me to saty away from the hard disc units as every bump causes it to skip and you loose anything recorded.

I use the HDD , the trick is not to hard mount the unit , put it in a paded bag and and wrap it around rollcage, seat, what ever you can , but have it dangling.

Brad

"how does it compare with the POV kit on quality, ease of use? spec? it's pretty close on price"

quality is good not far off DVD , very easy to use , soon as you plug in the camera it's ready to record via inline remote which also has the mic in it .