SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

Great stuff Mark!

I'm looking forward to receiving mine, and I know Roy ordered one yesterday for delivery to Europe for his and Beer Baron's executive tour of Euro race tracks... the poor bastards!

Another mate, Aaron, ordered one yesterday, says it will be usefull for his circuit car/enduro bike, and his snow ski trip next week.

I reckon this system value is second to none.

Edited by Marlin

There is a mob in the UK which when i was there last year I went in and looked at what they had with the intention of getting a POV1.0 (The 1.5 had just been releasted) I was told that they are a good thing, the only real problem is that if you are driving along and turn a corner and are now heading into brighter light etc then they dont handle the changes in lighting as well as the POV1.5!??! But really, how in the hell would you know unless you tried it? Mounting position, refraction of glass etc would all impact it I imagine.

But, that was my concern, the ability to handle changing light when mounted in a car...i hope i chose the right camera! :P

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.driftinnovation.com/en/hd170-action-camera

Has similar features 1080P

LCD

External Mic

Remote start

I've just got them in stock. Video quality is good and it has nice strong mounts with a solid tripod thread for roll cage mounts etc. Audio is average but an external mic adaptor is promised in the future. Not suure when this is happening though. Wireless remote and LCD screen work a treat. Godd value for $499.00.

Mark sells both units, so you can compare the two Paul :)

Video quality is absolutely awesome. We've got 14 of them at Targa West this weekend and feedback has been excellent. Black Magis Media will be using them as their camera of choice for ARC on One HD etc. Here's some sample video and you can judge for yourself.

Great stuff Mark!

I'm looking forward to receiving mine, and I know Roy ordered one yesterday for delivery to Europe for his and Beer Baron's executive tour of Euro race tracks... the poor bastards!

Another mate, Aaron, ordered one yesterday, says it will be usefull for his circuit car/enduro bike, and his snow ski trip next week.

I reckon this system value is second to none.

Roy's camera is on its way and I'll send yours next week. Look forward to your usual "interesting" videos. BTW, how's the fence mending skills coming along? LOL!

Edited by martyboy26

With the Radcam's, how well to they handle the 12v signal from the car, do they suffer much interferience from it? Also if you have two camers, can you use one remote to start and stop the recording on both of them?

And a pleasant surprise, living in the one hotel in India for two years has its perks. Just got a Sony digital 80GB Videocam. Has 1220min record time and 2 hour battery life so should be good to set up corners with a tripod. Maybe bag some footage worth splicing into the in car with the Radcam.

I think the 12v is to charge the battery, not a direct power feed to the camera. Does that make any difference?

You can use the 12V charger to continuously record video. It keeps the battery charged and it keeps recording. I just did a test today and got 13 hours in 720P on a 32 GB Card. Some car ignition systems may cause interference when the power is connected, but that can be easily rectified with the addition of a noise filter. We did exactly that for filming Top Gear Australia this year.

how is this any better than the hd hero? could almost buy 2 for that price.

LCD preview screen, digital zoom, external power if required, external audio input, full control over exposure settings, white balance, contrast etc, better mouting options etc etc

With the Radcam's, how well to they handle the 12v signal from the car, do they suffer much interferience from it? Also if you have two camers, can you use one remote to start and stop the recording on both of them?

See the answer below on interference. You can start multiple cameras with the same remote.