SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

I had a big post of the silly adventures of its first night of use...but really. It didnt read well and didnt show me in good light ...and nobody cares....but basically. Radcam works well when sober. Makes sure you are familiar with its operation sober before piloting it drunk! ;)

But it arrived after paying the UK govt a bribe, i mean a tax and now all set for Monday! :)

Edited by Roy

Well, I will post up the Radcam footage in a few days...and will post last years POV footage in a Caterham vs Radcam in a Caterham from today. Basically..Radcam kills it! Sound is a bit funny, took a while to get decent sound, the mic needs a sock for sure to drown out background noise

Well, I will post up the Radcam footage in a few days...and will post last years POV footage in a Caterham vs Radcam in a Caterham from today. Basically..Radcam kills it! Sound is a bit funny, took a while to get decent sound, the mic needs a sock for sure to drown out background noise

We found the built in mic works a treat. It's got auto wind noise reduction. Used em in 6 cars at the Muscle Car masters for Channel 7 on the weekennd and got some awesome footage. Just waiting for permission to post some video. To whet your appetite, here's a screen grab from Glen Seton's BMW, chasing a very familiar and famous GTR.

post-47107-1283802279_thumb.jpg

Edited by martyboy26

We found the built in mic works a treat. It's got auto wind noise reduction. Used em in 6 cars at the Muscle Car masters for Channel 7 on the weekennd and got some awesome footage. Just waiting for permission to post some video. To whet your appetite, here's a screen grab from Glen Seton's BMW, chasing a very familiar and famous GTR.

The internal mic is definitely the go. I've attached a short clip (reduced and pixelated for copyright reasons) to give you an idea of the audio quality. This was in a Aussie race Car with no side windows and the recorder mounted in the front.

Radcam HDPro Audio Demo With Internal Mic

Edited by martyboy26

I tried a few different arrangments. And reviewing all the vids this morning you are right. The first run i did not use an external mic and just had the hand unit strapped to the passenger seat. It seems fine. Perhaps should ot have mounted it so close to the harnesses which just flap around at speed. Thats part of the noise i thought was wind noise.

The run with the external mic up under the dash with no sock is far the worst. The run with my ipod headphone foam thinkgies on the mic seems to be maybe just better then the internal mic. So I guess thats what you get when trying to listen to a crappy laptop speaker at a track day with cars deafening you...maybe shoudl have jsut stuck with the internal mic.

Well i just uploaded some footage to youtube. It doesnt do the quality justice.

See post #5 ... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Si...za-t335975.html

I recorded it in 1080 60Hz...and struggling to understand what format to save it in using Windows Movie Maker? Any tips on what format when uploading to youtube , i want to avoid the back box around the footage?

Well i just uploaded some footage to youtube. It doesnt do the quality justice.

See post #5 ... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Si...za-t335975.html

I recorded it in 1080 60Hz...and struggling to understand what format to save it in using Windows Movie Maker? Any tips on what format when uploading to youtube , i want to avoid the back box around the footage?

Nice vid. I'm glad you got your camera on time. Mount looks solid on that car. Next time try the built in mic and you'll find it works pretty much anywhere.

Movie Maker doesn't really work well with HD videos. If you just want to trim the beginning and end and save in the original untouched format, then use MPEG Streamclip free from http://www.squared5.com/ is the go. This will give you the best quality on Youtube with zero quality loss. If you want to edit and add titles etc the get hold of a copy of Pinnacle Studio HD http://pinnaclesys.com Save the finished file to MPEG-4 1080 or 720

Also, if you want to widen the view, use 720P. It widens the view to 140 degrees (from 120 for 1080P) Can be good for some shots.

Keep em coming. Cheers from Mark at RaceRecall I've attached some screen grabs from the Muscle Car Masters. Both of these were in the same car, just using the 2 different settings. Hope that helps.

post-47107-1283895401_thumb.jpg

post-47107-1283896568_thumb.jpg

post-47107-1283896635_thumb.jpg

Edited by martyboy26

LOL, that explains why one minute you could see the gear changes and my feet (720p) then the next you couldnt (1080p) :) 120deg vs 140deg :(

Thanks for the links...Not sure i will have time to play with the footage...but will for future vods and the Silverstone vids when i get back to Aus

Edited by Roy

LOL, that explains why one minute you could see the gear changes and my feet (720p) then the next you couldnt (1080p) :action-smiley-069: 120deg vs 140deg :(

Thanks for the links...Not sure i will have time to play with the footage...but will for future vods and the Silverstone vids when i get back to Aus

Why do I bother to include instruction booklets???? No-one ever reads em. LOL!

Instruction booklet? One question....does the camera had a max time record setting? I came in one session and the camera was already stopped. I thought i may have hot the remote in my pocket by accident...bit far fetches but could not explain it....maybe find the instruction booklet :action-smiley-069:

Instruction booklet? One question....does the camera had a max time record setting? I came in one session and the camera was already stopped. I thought i may have hot the remote in my pocket by accident...bit far fetches but could not explain it....maybe find the instruction booklet :action-smiley-069:

No, it'll record until the battery goes flat or the card fills up. When you start the camera up, you'll see a display at the bottom of the screen that shows how much recroding time is left on the memory card. Once it's recording, it shows how long the recording has been running.

Edited by martyboy26