SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

So is it actually a simple process? ie able to be done by the average bear

And I take it that Dashmate is basically an "enabler" that lets you combine the two lots of data

If so, how/where do you get the input of rpm/throttle/brake?

Or do you just run with a GPS data feed which will presumably show speed and G?

It would be a good thing with a breadcrumbs style overlay showing either track position, or location through a special stage. GPS feed should allow that to happen too?

I wouldn't say its simple, its not hard (well I don't find it hard), just tedious.

You can put what ever input you want into it if you have a source. IE if you have some sort of data logger for rpm/gear/brake force etc you can put it in the software.

I only have a GPS logger so I can only get speed/ acceleration/lateral G's and position.

Looking into an OBD logger or something for extra data, but at this stage its unneccessary.

As for track position have a look at the top right of my video here

• 1 month later...

Just finished testing my lastest offering. It's the RadCam Extreme. It's a fully featured FullHD onboard camera that we're offering for only $289. Here's some sample footage from Phillip Island yesterday. Light was terrible, so it did a fantastic job considering the heavy overcast day. More details here

RadCam Extreme test at Phillip Island

Here's one in normal sunlight

RadCam Extreme Resolutions Demo

I bought one of these a few weeks ago. 1080p 30fps and 135 degree viewing angle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QGSYZ4

$175 is a bargain, I sprung the extra $25 for the suction cup mount. Maybe I should have bought the GPS recording version

Edited by Tektrader69

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002QGSYZ4

$175 is a bargain, I sprung the extra $25 for the suction cup mount. Maybe I should have bought the GPS recording version

any comments/recommendations/footage from this yet?

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002QGSYZ4

This is my Contour GPS, using Dashware makes it simple to export the video.

I have had a fiddle with it and its very good. Should definitely have bought the GPS version. The software is fantastic very easy to use.

Here's a link to their blog site. Terrific video here.

You get a helmet mount as well as a goggle mount. You can run 2 of the high end units linked so you can sync video.

http://contour.com/stories/hand_picked

video quality is perfect, best I have seen. You really do need 30fps for car stuff.

The GPS version will blutooth with an Iphone (via an App) which you can use as a preview device to make sure its aimed properly.

It is quite small and light.

I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE GPS VERSION :rant:

Have you got a link to the DASHWARE software? Think I will get a GPS unit as well

Edited by Tektrader69

I have had a fiddle with it and its very good. Should definitely have bought the GPS version. The software is fantastic very easy to use.

OK I've done a bit of reading now and it seems the goods. I'm assuming there's no issues using the GPS version in Australia?

Now to find the best price...

Oh yeah and the Dashware software looks good as well...where can we get it??

Cheers

Scott

OK I've done a bit of reading now and it seems the goods. I'm assuming there's no issues using the GPS version in Australia?

Now to find the best price...

Oh yeah and the Dashware software looks good as well...where can we get it??

Cheers

Scott

Amazon Scotty, Even if you find a better price the postage from elsewhere will be more expensive. Amazon postage is $16

Amazon Scotty, Even if you find a better price the postage from elsewhere will be more expensive. Amazon postage is $16

Yep can't beat the Amazon price anyway...gotta throw in the suction cup adapter thingy too...

Come on tax return!!!

http://www.dashware.net/

You can download and fiddle with it for free, cannot export the video till ya pay.

Contour do a roll cage mount as well. No Issue with the GPS in AUS.

Make sure you flash the firmware with the latest to get 4hz.

The live view app is now available for Android.

http://contour.com/software/mobile

Exporting the trackmaster data looks to be a bi of a nightmare as its not in the format that Trackvision uses for any of its dashes. So I supose that means you have to manually tweak the speadsheet so the formatting is correct ? I am just using the trial versions at the moment to get a feel for whether its worthwile for my next few track days

Sheeet contour has come a long way in a year.. i bought the 1080p version while snowboarding in Ak..

that gps and + version look very nice! might have to make another trip to the states..

i've not tried to log any track data yet. but will give it a go next time i go to the track.. what is the best program to use to put data up using the contour??

The GoPro HD Motorsport 1080p is easy and versitile, with the option of 170 degree wide angle or 135 degree wide angle, it is hard to go past. This guy has the GoPro HD Motorsport on special, $369.00 including a free 16gb SDHC card. That brings the camera price right down. Lots of videos on their web site too. www.cameras4sport.com.au