SAU Community

New Turbo = Car Runs Like Crap

Or you could do what all of us are saying and buy a form of engine management that can be setup for the upgraded turbo.

That size turbo will NOT run properly on a stock ECU with a SAFC, it is not designed for it. The SAFC is to trick the ECU slightly when you go a bit beyond the capabilities of the stock ECU. You are going WAY over its limits.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still drives like shit as soon as it wants to go above 10psi , It never did it beofre but it must be new turbo characteristics! . . I've wasted over $3500 on new turbo plus fitting/Tune and it runs worse then it did on Old turbo

I think im ready to throw it all in and sell everything and go back to stock R33 ..

Thats about the dumbest thing you've said. Your almost there, you have everything you need to make the power you are looking for, buy an ecu, even try a rechip [its a bit cheaper] from one of the guys on SAU [i can't remember his name, Doctor something], get a Z32 and you'll be fine. Mods aren't cheap, never havc been. But they are cheap compared to buying a car 'off the shelf' with equivalent power. If you back out and sell now, you'll be a quitter...........lol

Listen to what we are all trying to tell you, we say it because it works, you can't beat experience.

Thats about the dumbest thing you've said. Your almost there, you have everything you need to make the power you are looking for, buy an ecu, even try a rechip [its a bit cheaper] from one of the guys on SAU [i can't remember his name, [b]Doctor something[/b]], get a Z32 and you'll be fine. Mods aren't cheap, never havc been. But they are cheap compared to buying a car 'off the shelf' with equivalent power. If you back out and sell now, you'll be a quitter...........lol

Listen to what we are all trying to tell you, we say it because it works, you can't beat experience.

Dr Drift.

• 2 weeks later...

ok , here is one for all of you guys that said running a aftermarket turbo of the size that i'm running will not work on a stock ecu .. Not to piss in your pocket or anything but yesterday i decided to play around and just reset my ecu using the paper clip method and to my suprise it completly fixed everything i've been whinin about .. It now boosts FINE at around 15-16psi and pulls hard right to redline .. I've got no hesitation and no popping and everything is great car pulls harder then before and really has some torque .. I was at 220kw @ wheels with old turbo and i can really feel something around 250kw + .. Very suprised with my setup that everything that i have you guys deemed would not work but it does , i don't see the need to upgrade the air flow or injectors yet maybe for power later but i'm going good now , a power fc is my future upgrade but i'm happy with stock ecu and safc neo

grab a chip ecu tune from Toshi here on sau

you'll be even happier !! :D

Im using the toshi ecu chip with safc and sitc... will be upgrading the slide turbo (225kw) to a gt2876r or gt3071r soonish~

It now boosts FINE at around 15-16psi and pulls hard right to redline .. I've got no hesitation and no popping and everything is great car pulls harder then before and really has some torque .. I was at 220kw @ wheels with old turbo and i can really feel something around 250kw + .. Very suprised with my setup that everything that i have you guys deemed would not work but it does , i don't see the need to upgrade the air flow or injectors yet maybe for power later but i'm going good now , a power fc is my future upgrade but i'm happy with stock ecu and safc neo

Given the factory airflow meter and injectors are pretty well useless at those power levels, even though it seems to go pretty good all may not be as well and good as you think. It MIGHT be ok but without checking air/fuel ratios, fuel pressure and knock you may actually be well on a path that you'd rather not be on - you just haven't realised it YET.

Edited by Lithium

ok , here is one for all of you guys that said running a aftermarket turbo of the size that i'm running will not work on a stock ecu .. Not to piss in your pocket or anything but yesterday i decided to play around and just reset my ecu using the paper clip method and to my suprise it completly fixed everything i've been whinin about .. It now boosts FINE at around 15-16psi and pulls hard right to redline .. I've got no hesitation and no popping and everything is great car pulls harder then before and really has some torque .. I was at 220kw @ wheels with old turbo and i can really feel something around 250kw + .. Very suprised with my setup that everything that i have you guys deemed would not work but it does , i don't see the need to upgrade the air flow or injectors yet maybe for power later but i'm going good now , a power fc is my future upgrade but i'm happy with stock ecu and safc neo

You should really check out the AFRs on that, AFM and injectors max at at around 200-210 rwkw, if ur making that much power, id say ur leaning out hard.

MAte, the GT 3071 is a good turbo, capable of 260-270 rwkw on rb25. Ur nearly there, z32 AFM, injectors, PowerFC and dyno tune are all u need and u will be safely running over 250. Don't risk a blown motor now, remember, the poor man always pays twice!

GL with it anyway

Mate of mine thought his car was running mint as... till oil started coming out the air filter.

As the others have said, get your car on a dyno and make sure the A/F ratios are ok, factory injects usually running at max dutycycle on 220rwkw

Edited by daxter

well i spoke to hills they said it was something to do with the spark so i tried my mates coil packs and got new plugs and does the exact same thing!

One thing I had to do when I boosted my RB20 up to 22psi was to shorten the gap on the plugs to .10mm as the spark was scattering. She used to fart and carry on above 16psi until I did the gap and Splitfire coil packs.

Keep it in mind......

I say let this guy go, his car running mint now, so everythings fine, just wait for him to post saying "Why is my car running rough like its on 3 cylinders and oil coming out of the intake and blue smoke coming from the exhaust?"

just because everyone said it was a direct bolt on doesnt mean that its all gona run perfectly straight away, shame on u for thinking that.

when people say that its a bolt on it means that all the parts should bolt straight up with no custom work to be done. this does not mean that its gona run properly, shit if u didnt think u need an aftermarket ecu u got problems. u can get t88 n t51r's as bolt on kits but u still need everything else to be able to support them

y would u even consider doin a turbo like that without an ecu, bigger injectors and other correct supporting hardware?

from what i know injectors run out around 270rwkw! and im not running standard fuel system , ive got Walbro 255LPH , SARD Rising Rate FPR set to 33PSI on idle . I checked the plugs today that i put in last week and they are running rich , they are kinda black all over the tip . Also it backfires like crazy off throttle. So i dont know the ARF's but i will definatly keep it on 11PSI now all i was saying is it works on stock ECU , might not be safe but everything runs sweet though ( from a driving perspective ) not mechanically wise im sure