SAU Community

Fcking Ants

Ronin 09

So I don't drive the GTR often, and in winter it sits under a cover.

Yesterday i get home from work and i notice a conga line of ants going up the power cord into the engine bay, with the trickle charger on.

the little bastards were everywhere in the engine bay, and a few in the cabin too!

What do I do to keep em off??

I started it up and ran it for about ten mins, then shut the bonnet... they seem to have evacuated a bit.

time will tell though, this afternoon, if they're still there...

As my car is quite old (see under my avatar, etc.) it used to get a lot of spiders and spider webs. Nothing much to worry about as they were always outside the car, and they were only garden spiders anyway. I guess the mould attracted them a bit too..

Anyway, what seemed to solve the issue (mostly) for me is driving it daily, or even once every two days. I've only had two spider webs since I got my P's. :)

All my webs prior to this were on the outside panels, wheels, mirrors, bumper bars, door handles, etc.

Your situation is difficult due to it being near mechanical and electronic things though.

I guess you could build a moat around your car..

Wash the car with a high pressure hose to get them off the outside.

Do you have a compressed air trigger gun? You can blow the ants out of the engine bay as I would not want to spray water in there.

Vacuum clean the inside of the car.

Since the car sits under cover, where ever its parked, spray Insect / Surface Spray 'around' the car (as if you were marking out a rectangle box).

That should keep the insects away and make sure to respary the same outline weekly and see how you go.

I had ant's in my old R31 Pintara (in the awesome color of "Nissan Racing Beige", it was one of those quality cars that was built in Clayton :) ), if the above don't work get some Ant-Rid.... it works ACE!

I figured the only reason teh Pintara got Ants, was the shear lack of powah and speed. :worship:

yeh surface spray around the bottom of the tyres works well (near, not on them)

Homebrand type cheapest possible surface spray around window frames will keep spiders out for at least 3 months.. its the most toxic crap tho, wear a mask.. I spray it on the vents and manholes etc too

Alternatively you could throw some ant sand on the ground

i had the same problem with my stagea not that long ago, cept my problem was i only left it for 3hours.

came through the quater panel down in the door and bang inside, i just got out the raid, spary anything and everything, paintjob also,

then went down to the car wash and used the vacum and washed the car, spraying high pressuer along any gaps.

not one any left :)

my mate also had an ants next under his rear seat of his VL (na, free) .. pulled the seats out and got BAYGON . about 1ltr sorted that out

just put some ant rid in a lil bowl in ur engine bay. come back 24 hours later with a vacume and your cars ant free..

ants are machines.. they can get in the most weird places.

I know it sounds weird, but TalcumPowder drives them crazy! They hate it. Sprinkle some either directly on them or form a Talcumpowder barrier around your car. Cheaper than any insect spray AND wont damage your paint. Not sure if I would put it in your engine bay, but definately around it.

Just keep applying every few days. Its only because of this hot weather. When it starts to cool down, you wont notice them as much.

I know it sounds weird, but TalcumPowder drives them crazy! They hate it. Sprinkle some either directly on them or form a Talcumpowder barrier around your car. Cheaper than any insect spray AND wont damage your paint. Not sure if I would put it in your engine bay, but definately around it.

Just keep applying every few days. Its only because of this hot weather. When it starts to cool down, you wont notice them as much.

Lol @ talcum powder....so when you drive off it's like a crime scene!!

I'd put some ant rid solution nearby so when they take a whiff of that they evacuate the car and head for that instead.

i checked it last night, and it seems to be ant free... I'm taking it out for a long drive tomorrow, I'll freak if they start coming at me from the vents!!

I'll keep the ant rid and talc solutions in mind; also I heard they hate cucumber skins??