Merli

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep... Exedy Twin Plate...

i wonder if i could get them trade price cheaper than out of japan? ive been getting very good deals on excedy clutches through work.

I'm not a big fan of carbon clutches in a daily driver, their operating temperature window is too narrow. They slip like crazy until they get up to temperature. Even in a race car I have had one inexperienced guy kill one, just on and off the trailer and driving around the pits.

Cheers

Gary

<sigh>

Thanks for the heads up guys...

I've been through seven different twin plate clutches (and one triple) in my travels, some good, some bad, some excellent....

I thought I'd try something new, but after hearing the above reports, I'll stick with the tried and true OS Giken TS2CD. It'll be my THIRD one :)

At least it'll be a known quantity, but I miss out on trying new technology ;)

Merli,

I also tried the Exedy carbon twin plate clutch.

it's no good. keep slipping above 5000rpm, even when properly warmed up!

went for ceremic one, no problem whatsoever.

If you want to go carbon, ATS carbon is way better.

Thanks Baboo...

I'll stick with the known quantity OS Giken one for now, and consider trying a carbon one later down the track when I'm chasing extreme weight saving :)

Mark Berry, Russell Neuman, Mark Jacobsen and Paul Diemar use NPC twin plates.

Buy a real clutch Merli...not one that comes in a shiny box with fancy stickers.

I'll second the NPC. I've had it in the car for over 2 years and it's never slipped at the circuit or the drags and it's really easy to drive on even with the push/pull converter.

<sigh>

Thanks for the heads up guys...

I've been through seven different twin plate clutches (and one triple) in my travels, some good, some bad, some excellent....

I thought I'd try something new, but after hearing the above reports, I'll stick with the tried and true OS Giken TS2CD. It'll be my THIRD one :)

At least it'll be a known quantity, but I miss out on trying new technology :cool:

I have an OS Giken Twin Plate in my own R32GTST, I just service the plates regularly, just like brake pads they wear out. In the race cars we only use AP Clutches, 7" in the turbos and V8's and 4.5" in the 4 cylinders and rotaries. They are not cheap, but nothing good ever is. It's the combo road and track cars that I have the most problem with clutches, the compromises seem unavoidable. Either they are snappy and heavy for daily driving or can't handle track work or they wear out real fast. Depite many years of looking I haven't as yet found one that doesn't have at least one compromise.

Cheers

Gary

I've heard nothing but good things about NPC clutches, may try one down the track.

I use an OS twin plate which I just had rebuilt after doing this to it...

post-8405-1245108597_thumb.jpg

Lasted a long time though, and copped some fair abuse. I'm a big fan of it.

post-3052-1245112552_thumb.jpg

Twin plate Direct racing clutch, manufactured by "DIRECT CLUTCHES" here in Brisbane....great clutch and easy to use.

Had one in my STI for years of trouble free driving...recently tried the Excedy....worst clutch by far and after using it for the past 4 weeks, I will be getting the Direct clutch rebuilt.

I originally purchase the pictured clutch for the GTR....but after a test drive in AtomicBomberman (Chris) GTR, decided to give the carbon ATS clutch a go

ive used extreme single plates, os giken quad plate, direct clutch twin (older version) and a npc twin and the npc is the easiest to drive, handles 600rwhp drag launches time and time again, plus hard shifts with a dogbox and it is awesome to drive around town, the engagement is sooo smooth. The os qaud was an absolute pain to take off from lights etc i didnt like it one bit.

NPC twin is $2000 from memory, these are cheap as to rebuild as well unlike the os giken ones, definately top notch. My twin plate is bigger than the quad plate, its definately a serious piece of workmanship.

ive used extreme single plates, os giken quad plate, direct clutch twin (older version) and a npc twin and the npc is the easiest to drive, handles 600rwhp drag launches time and time again, plus hard shifts with a dogbox and it is awesome to drive around town, the engagement is sooo smooth. The os qaud was an absolute pain to take off from lights etc i didnt like it one bit.

NPC twin is $2000 from memory, these are cheap as to rebuild as well unlike the os giken ones, definately top notch. My twin plate is bigger than the quad plate, its definately a serious piece of workmanship.

$2400 retail...a little cheaper for trade

ARP flywheel bolts $110 retail...again a little cheaper for trade.

Edited by DiRTgarage

thats a sprung centre one, mines a solid centre and still a treat to drive, they are absolutely huge for a twin plate too

ive never had to drop the engine xmember to put box in either, just tip the motor right back and ya fine.

Edited by unique1