SAU Community

Oil Restrictors --- Pics

Hi guys, just removed the head to fix a blown gasket, and i noticed three oil restrictors in the head.

I just wanted to clarify if these are standard ? I was under the impression from all the talk of fitting restrictors to limit oil buildup in the head meant there wasnt any at all to begin with ..

Was i assuming incorrectly , and you guys just modify them by fitting smaller orifice ones ?

Gary

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

Hi Gary

they are the standard nissan restrictors,

tap them down into the block and then install the new ones on top of them.

? Really?

I have no idea how to do the restriction mod, but it sounds wierd! Do you really just tap them into the block and have them float around? ahah

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification Darren. Im not going to put any in , but i have the rear oil drain back to sump on its way up here. I just wanted to check if they were std.

Gary

dont think they will go into the block as the hole goes a fair way down just pushes them in a little bit so you can install the new ones it wont float around

Never thought of that. Makes perfect sence!

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification Darren. Im not going to put any in , but i have the rear oil drain back to sump on its way up here. I just wanted to check if they were std.

Gary

Is this an engine out job? Do you think you could fire up some pics when its in?

I do a bit of track work in my R33, and havnt done either mods yet... bandad it with overfilling the oil slightly. And dont go quite as hard.

But it still makes me nervous!

Yeah i track my car also, just on a small circuit up here. Haha first round is next saturday !, wonder if i'll make it .... :P

This is just a head off operation.... You do need head off (or motor out) to fit the rear oil drain. Im getting it off Tufrx3 on here.... nice bit of gear.

I don't rev mine past 7000, but it still concerns me abit. But hasn't died in two years of racing it ....

I'll do pics when done..... Check the "automatic performance thread" for pics and updates.

Gary

Oh well, so be it. It hasn't blown up in 16 years street and two years + racing, i just see the rear drain as an additional help. And honestly i really just dont like the idea of limiting the amount of oil the factory deemed necessary. Just my personal preference. And i dont rev it over 7000 , which i assume makes a difference ?

Gary

thats what i was thinking,

plus they cost next to nothing from a machinest

Don't even need a machinist.

6mm black rod from the local metal supplies on O'sullivans beach road + a drill press with a 1.5 or 1.2mm drill bit and you have a restrictor. :thumbsup:

---

Gary,

Sorting the Nissan oil issues begins with the oil restrictors. Second... I personally prefer venting the sump rather than the mess of drilling/tapping the head for an additional oil drain especially if its being raced.

---

Fastrotor... My issues with excessive oil occurred over 5000rpm and 95psi oil pressure with 2 x 1.8mm oil restrictors.

It really depends on the oil pressure and setup you have if your going to experience problems or not.

I now run a single 1.5mm up front front and blocked rear with stupid hydraulic lifters. Zero issues.

Edited by TheRogue

Thanks for the tips. I can whip up a restrictor myself no probs.

The oil drain im using is a shrink fit into welch plug hole.

So you guys are that concerned for my motor, totally stock top end, 7K factory limit...... you really want me to go restrictors , ie its that close to a problem ??

I have hydralics still and VCT ..... so there is only the 3 restrictors to do ?? I assume i'll leave the vct one as is, and reduce the other two. ?

What size are std , 1.8mm rogue ?

Didnt anyone here try and search for this already and find SK's guide on oil control? That thread has everything you need.

search "Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift" - SydneyKid

Didnt anyone here try and search for this already and find SK's guide on oil control? That thread has everything you need.

search "Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift" - SydneyKid

+1

Size and location of restrictors is dependant on head and oil pump used aswell as intended application.

Youre all forgetting its a standard engine? Why would you need restrictors with a standard oil pump? You dont have any extra flow or pressure...nor will the standard pump empty the sump as quickly as an aftermarket pump would so why limit supply to the head?

I hadn't read the thread yet as i only posted this to show what i saw and ask if it was stock or not. I initially had no plans to add the restrictors.

Upon reading SK's threads first few pages and from alot of suggestions to do it from you guys, i'm going to block off the center feed only. Im not going to restrict the rear one, as i figure halving the supply is enough in combo with the rear head drain i have coming. Coupled with the std pump, and std rev limit. I feel this is a reasonable compromise.

I have some copper welding tips here close to 6mm i can sand down to fit (using a drill to keep round) , then solder up the center hole. Easy.

Gary