SAU Community

My Project Car

So recently Ive picked up a fairly damaged s13 for a project car, mechanicly the car seems fine but the panels on the car are wrecked and I have almost finished the process of replacing the wrecked panels and will be giving the car a respray. My goal is to use the car as a daily driver (so i ca garage my 34 to drive on sundays), but also use as a sleeper. Of course Im going to be doing an engine conversion but to decide the type of engine im going to put in the car is seeming to be almost to difficult for me. So here are a few ideas that have come to mind, and please take note that the car needs to be automatic.

1jz

2jz

rb25

1uz

rb20

these are jsut a few engines ive had in mind. currently im leaning towrds the 1uz as its something a bit different, 1uz s13's are rarely put together, and the engines are strong and i can lean towards either turbo or supercharge.

1jz,would be the obvious way to go as th engines are quite strong and standard internals can handle quite a bit of power as im looking at keeping the engine relatively standard and not opening it up, im aiming more towards an affective power to weight ratio and the 1jz are quite light in comparison to an rb25.

R25 would be a more straight forward instalation, I have more experiance with the rb25, I have parts lying around that would make good upgrades for the engine but with the engine being a bit heavier than the others Im concerned about the weight distrabution and would prefer not to hafto do too much to the firewall to even up the weight.

2jz, from what I understand these are a difficult engine to put into the silvia, the sump is a problem so you need to find a 2j from an aristo for a good match and i dont know of any conversion kits made for the 2j and s13 body.

rb20, tough as guts but lots of potential but will require alot more money put into it to get it making the power im looking for. Positives are this conversions been done a million times before into s13's and parts are redily available.

So just wondering what everyone elses opinions are and/or ideas.

ur budget will also contribute alot to the project as well

the engines that u have stated veray greatly in price

1uz $1700

rb20 $1000

rb25 $2000

1jz $2000

2jz $4000

the toyota prices are fairly accurate as i was recently looking for a conversion for ly ls400 and these are the prices i got.

ill be honest with u, u wont be able to do much for less than around 10 grand. half of the motors need some serious custom shit to make them fit in + the wiring will be a nightmare and add huge costs to it also.

if i were u i would put an s15 motor and s14 gearbox and it would hammer hard as

but if u have the funds then definatelty go the 1uz. that would be sick

a v8 silvia lol

ur budget will also contribute alot to the project as well

the engines that u have stated veray greatly in price

1uz $1700

rb20 $1000

rb25 $2000

1jz $2000

2jz $4000

the toyota prices are fairly accurate as i was recently looking for a conversion for ly ls400 and these are the prices i got.

ill be honest with u, u wont be able to do much for less than around 10 grand. half of the motors need some serious custom shit to make them fit in + the wiring will be a nightmare and add huge costs to it also.

if i were u i would put an s15 motor and s14 gearbox and it would hammer hard as

but if u have the funds then definatelty go the 1uz. that would be sick

a v8 silvia lol

oh its a project that will happen over time and i have more than enough funds to support it. Mostly I want to do the majority of the work myself for the satisfaction. Added bonuses of the 1uz are the weight in comparison to the rest of the engine I have stated, there alot lighter suprisingly. And seem to be a very nice fit into s13 enginebay, there cheap as you stated above. Supercharge maybe with ITB's i dunno.

What do you have in mind as the purpose for the car? If it involves track work then any of the engines proposed will make the car handle worse than it does stock.. If you just want a toy that is fun and a bit different then go for which ever you like/have the budget to support.

What do you have in mind as the purpose for the car? If it involves track work then any of the engines proposed will make the car handle worse than it does stock.. If you just want a toy that is fun and a bit different then go for which ever you like/have the budget to support.

deffinetly not a track car, or else id look at an sr20. Mostly as a daily driver and for a bit of fun/project. Mostly as its something to work on myself and get some self satisfaction out of besides the few ovbious bits and pieces like wiring etc. What I will do once I get the rest of the panels and start sanding/prepping the car for spray is start a post up on progress.

deffinetly not a track car, or else id look at an sr20. Mostly as a daily driver and for a bit of fun/project. Mostly as its something to work on myself and get some self satisfaction out of besides the few ovbious bits and pieces like wiring etc. What I will do once I get the rest of the panels and start sanding/prepping the car for spray is start a post up on progress.

Since it's going to be a daily you would want to probably look at making it legal. Engineering might be something else you're going to need to factor into the cars cost and could persuade motor choice.

For ease of conversion and lower costs with still enough power on tap, RB25 with RB30 bottom and a GT30R off the side.

If budget isnt really too much of a conern, 2JZ with a T04Z. Stock internals you'll be up in the 400rwkw's with ease

For ease of conversion and lower costs with still enough power on tap, RB25 with RB30 bottom and a GT30R off the side.

If budget isnt really too much of a conern, 2JZ with a T04Z. Stock internals you'll be up in the 400rwkw's with ease

budget isnt really a concern. As I said the downside to rb25's is the weight of the engines. I still want to retain some form of handling and they are by far the heavier engine of the lot and will require internal work to be done sooner if i end up chaseing more power. As a 1j or 2j may be more costly to install, they have alot more room for power without cracking open the engine.

budget isnt really a concern. As I said the downside to rb25's is the weight of the engines. I still want to retain some form of handling and they are by far the heavier engine of the lot and will require internal work to be done sooner if i end up chaseing more power. As a 1j or 2j may be more costly to install, they have alot more room for power without cracking open the engine.

Well if budget isnt a concern, the BEST would be the 2JZ. Ive got a supra with a 2JZ, awesome motor, the motors are a lot cheaper than people think if you look around. Throw either a 35R or a TO4Z on there and the widest/most grippy tyres you can afford. Heaps of fun!

Do you really think adding 2 more cylinders will turn the car into an understeering shitbox pig?

Ive been in a few 6cyl S chassis's now and they're not utterly shit as most internet mechanics would have you believe. Of course its not as ideal as a 4cyl, but if weight is that important, change the front panels for alloy/fibreglass.

Worst case, you get the suspension setup to suit. Depending on what those specs are your tyre life could suffer.

If it were me, I would go with an RB25 or 25/30. If it's going to be your daily do you really want a 400rwkw 2jz monster? Mind you it would be damn cool...

In saying that so would an RB25.

So recently Ive picked up a fairly damaged s13 for a project car, mechanicly the car seems fine but the panels on the car are wrecked and I have almost finished the process of replacing the wrecked panels and will be giving the car a respray. My goal is to use the car as a daily driver (so i ca garage my 34 to drive on sundays), but also use as a sleeper. Of course Im going to be doing an engine conversion but to decide the type of engine im going to put in the car is seeming to be almost to difficult for me. So here are a few ideas that have come to mind, and please take note that the car needs to be automatic.

1jz

2jz

rb25

1uz

rb20

these are jsut a few engines ive had in mind. currently im leaning towrds the 1uz as its something a bit different, 1uz s13's are rarely put together, and the engines are strong and i can lean towards either turbo or supercharge.

1jz,would be the obvious way to go as th engines are quite strong and standard internals can handle quite a bit of power as im looking at keeping the engine relatively standard and not opening it up, im aiming more towards an affective power to weight ratio and the 1jz are quite light in comparison to an rb25.

R25 would be a more straight forward instalation, I have more experiance with the rb25, I have parts lying around that would make good upgrades for the engine but with the engine being a bit heavier than the others Im concerned about the weight distrabution and would prefer not to hafto do too much to the firewall to even up the weight.

2jz, from what I understand these are a difficult engine to put into the silvia, the sump is a problem so you need to find a 2j from an aristo for a good match and i dont know of any conversion kits made for the 2j and s13 body.

rb20, tough as guts but lots of potential but will require alot more money put into it to get it making the power im looking for. Positives are this conversions been done a million times before into s13's and parts are redily available.

So just wondering what everyone elses opinions are and/or ideas.

rb25 for sure

If it's going to be your daily do you really want a 400rwkw 2jz monster?

lol, yes!

I plan on doing this soon, have started getting bits together, for the ease of installation the bottom end will be RB30 or RB26. About 350rwkw, GT35R, etc. Daily driven of course :)