SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

That is why I paid $13k for an LPG powered Patrol, same thing running diesel would have been $23k+, and I feel comfortable with 2.5t in front of the Gtr. Sure there is no point spending a million on a tow/daily but having 2t of pride and joy behind a 1.8t tow car (plus tools etc) is begging for trouble, and if your tow car is overweight I am guessing your load is not covered by insurance either..

A Falcon would be the fallback tow vehicle for me, once some business is sorted then I'll know how much $ is available. Spent heaps on the track car, now it's time to get something decent as a dual purpose only one vehicle thing. Could get a gearbox chewing BMW X5 or Merc dodgy everything SUV if 'style' was the main goal :)

That last pic... Farken hell!

If anyone is looking for a falcoon tow car, hit me up, just moved house and it won't go down the side of the driveway I need it to while empty yet alone with a car trailer. (major advantage 4WD, ground clearance)

I use a 92 EB Falcon wagon to tow 2 tonne of race car/trailer plus tools/fuel etc in the back of the wagon to race meets for last 2 and 1/2 seasons. It's a 4L straight 6 which is a rare 5 speed manual (was an ex Ag department tow vehicle) and done well over 500K+ in its long life. I wouldn't say it does the job easily but it does the job and hasn't let me down yet. What was needed to get it over the line as a tow car was: 1. Properly rated tow package - Ford item is only rated to 1500kg 2. Air springs on rear - essential to keep car level (and stops the mud flaps doing any work!) 3. Electric brakes on both axles with override system - legal requirement if over 2 tonne which pretty much any Skyline will be on a trailer. My car weighs 1250kg but trailer is 700kg. Add a spare trailer tyre, some spares inside car and couple of jerry cans and well over the legal 2 tonne limit for single braked axle trailer) 4. Stay out of 5th gear - is always going to be the first one to snap! Is being retired once my new Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD arrives!! (This week hopefully after 4 month wait!)

post-67248-0-80484900-1344256430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nissanmania

wheel there ya go

keep it under two tonnes or ya f**ked

15.2 All other trailers that do not exceed 4.5 tonnes ATM

These trailers must be fitted with an efficient brake system that complies with ADR 38/-. Except for over-run brakes, all brakes must be operable from the driver's seat of the towing vehicle.

For trailers up 2 tonnes GTM, an efficient braking system is considered to have brakes operating on the wheels of at least one axle. Over-run brakes may only be used on trailers that do not exceed 2 tonnes GTM.

Every trailer over 2 tonnes GTM must have brakes operating on all wheels. The brake system must cause immediate application of the trailer brakes in the event of the trailer becoming detached from the towing vehicle. Under these circumstances, the brakes must remain applied for at least 15 minutes.

You guys should just get lighter cars ;)

Trailer is 420kg's and the car is around 550kg's wet. I was previously towing it with my AU Falcon, which does it with ease. Have also towed it with a 2010 Jeep Cherokee, and obviously it's no sweat.

As I now require more space for spares I've just picked up a Q7 4.2 FSI with air suspension and a 3500kg towing capacity. The space in the back for parts is ridiculous, and should do the job very nicely indeed.

well after moving to perth and towing my R32 gtst behind my 2002 holden rodeo with 3.2 V6 manual petrol, i can catagoricaly state that it is not a great tow vehicle. it got 300k's to a tank, and with a strong headwind at one point about 250k's. it worked out to almost 20L/100kms.

Probably not to bad for towing to the local racetrack, but shithouse over long distance. technicaly it is overweight by a couple of hundred kilo, as the rodeo is only rated to 1800 kg's.

Its a great car in a lot of other ways, and im not going to get rid of it, but i wont be towing the 'line very far purely because it costs too much.

I use a 92 EB Falcon wagon to tow 2 tonne of race car/trailer plus tools/fuel etc in the back of the wagon to race meets for last 2 and 1/2 seasons. It's a 4L straight 6 which is a rare 5 speed manual (was an ex Ag department tow vehicle) and done well over 500K+ in its long life. I wouldn't say it does the job easily but it does the job and hasn't let me down yet. What was needed to get it over the line as a tow car was: 1. Properly rated tow package - Ford item is only rated to 1500kg 2. Air springs on rear - essential to keep car level (and stops the mud flaps doing any work!) 3. Electric brakes on both axles with override system - legal requirement if over 2 tonne which pretty much any Skyline will be on a trailer. My car weighs 1250kg but trailer is 700kg. Add a spare trailer tyre, some spares inside car and couple of jerry cans and well over the legal 2 tonne limit for single braked axle trailer) 4. Stay out of 5th gear - is always going to be the first one to snap! Is being retired once my new Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD arrives!! (This week hopefully after 4 month wait!)

Ahh, you won't regret the new car. My 8 month old diesel Grand is for sale now (financial reasons)!! any takers?

Just another reason that GTR's suck. They're over 2k on a trailer. Nearly 3k if you carry enough engine oil to keep the shitbox full for a day's sprint......

:P They are cool!

well after moving to perth and towing my R32 gtst behind my 2002 holden rodeo with 3.2 V6 manual petrol, i can catagoricaly state that it is not a great tow vehicle. it got 300k's to a tank, and with a strong headwind at one point about 250k's. it worked out to almost 20L/100kms.

Probably not to bad for towing to the local racetrack, but shithouse over long distance. technicaly it is overweight by a couple of hundred kilo, as the rodeo is only rated to 1800 kg's.

Its a great car in a lot of other ways, and im not going to get rid of it, but i wont be towing the 'line very far purely because it costs too much.

A friend has a 'cruiser and averages about 25l/100km towing his Radical, though it is an enclosed trailer so the aero would be rubbish.

You guys should just get lighter cars ;)

Trailer is 420kg's and the car is around 550kg's wet. I was previously towing it with my AU Falcon, which does it with ease. Have also towed it with a 2010 Jeep Cherokee, and obviously it's no sweat.

As I now require more space for spares I've just picked up a Q7 4.2 FSI with air suspension and a 3500kg towing capacity. The space in the back for parts is ridiculous, and should do the job very nicely indeed.

you could use an excel to tow the radical phunky.they are so light