SAU Community

Gtr Twin Plate Clutches

What about the ATS Carbon Twin Plate? Anyone ever had any experience with these? Particularly on R34 GT-R's? To my understanding they have to be converted to push type to fit this clutch?

Also I have read that the ATS twin plates are very easy to drive (like stock), handle decent power & easy on the gearbox???

Im thinking of getting on of these, or the Nismo Twin Plate...

Cheers,

I have an ATS twin plate carbon clutch in my R33GTR and also Have one in my missus R32GTR (daily driver) and have another that will be going into my R33 when I do the Getrag 6 speed conversion am just waiting for the pull to push conversion to turn up for my getrag. These are a brilliant clutch by far the best I have ever used/driven they have a good feel very progressive pick up, light pedal very close to standard they handle plenty of power I have the 900ps version in my R33 and the 800ps version in my missus daily. They also last 2-3 times as long as convensional clutches. I cant recomend these clutches highly enough. Once you use one of these clutches you will never go back to a conventional clutch. I will be selling the R33 clutch once I have done the getag conversion so if anyone is interested keep an eye out in the for sale section.

when I do the Getrag 6 speed conversion am just waiting for the pull to push conversion to turn up for my getrag.

I was thinking of getting the Type S 1100kg ATS Carbon Twin Plate for my R34 GT-R as I will only be running around 300awkw's. This one should suit my application?

Also, are the pull to push conversion kits seperate to the ATS clutch? As in, ATS dont offer them as part of the clutch? To my understanding you need the following parts to convert... (and also for complete installation)

• Nissan clutch fork (30531-01S00)
  • Flywheel bolts x 6 (12315-04U00)
  • Bearing sleeve (30501-N1604)
  • Clutch Bearing (30502-14601)
  • Spring (for pivot) (30534-E9000)
  • Spring (for sleeve) (30514-14600)

I got the above info from the American ATS website. Reference: http://www.carbonetic.net/match/others_nissan.htm

They say that the above parts actually come with the clutch?

Cheers,

The conversion kit is not included with the clutch to the best of my knowlage well it didnt come with mine anyway but ATS sell everything as a kit wich I have on the way should arrive within the next week or so and will then be installing the box straight away. Though my clutch was purchased in japan so ATS USA may supply the conversion kit with the clutch no doubt at a greater cost if that is the case.

hey HKS twinplate l/w flywheel, real sweet, i havent driven many different clutches but had this from brandnew, a lil rattley but hey a real nice clutch.....

That's what's in mine. Nice to drive, great bite and shift feel when working but a touch noisey. A few years old now and needs to be rebuilt or replaced as it can't handle high boost in high gears and is getting worse. I'll be replacing it and am now considering what with, so it's certainly great to read this thread right now.

hey HKS twinplate l/w flywheel, real sweet, i havent driven many different clutches but had this from brandnew, a lil rattley but hey a real nice clutch.....

How loud would you say the "Rattle is" out of 10? 10 being deafning 1 being can just hear it?

and the launch factor also being one clutch engages then the second i assume it launches hard still?

Cheers for your advice!!!

i asume its the HKS Max twin plate also?

post-43477-1245562119.jpg

I fried a ATS Carbon in under 1000k's but reckon that had more to do with temps than anything.

Supposedly the carbon needs to get up to a good operating temp to get good grab and mine got put in at start of winter 2007 and died by the end. We have -5c to -20c so reckon that had alot to do with it.

I have one for sale that needs rebuild. done 1000 k's..

Been running Nismo Copper Twin since and fantastic clutch..Never misses a beat!!

I also have the HKS GD Max Twin Plate. I got mine second hand then had it rebuilt by jim berry with 3-puck solid plates.

Its pretty noisy but I love it! The solid plates make my gearbox rattle and chatter and sound like a diesel truck under 2,000rpm. Doesnt bother me though.

Its very driveable, not too heavy, not too bitey, but when you dump it, its insane! Never missed a beat.

I used to have an exedy single plate 5-puck with 320kw, it never slipped but it 'welded' itself to the flywheel countless times...the last time it did it I ripped it out and put the HKS in because I couldnt un-stick it haha.

Id never use an exedy ever again.

Were about to put an OS Triple Plate in my mates 33, will let you guys know the results.

OS triple are good. I had one in my 32 for a while. I liked it. replaced it with an OS twin and was just as happy. it was a pretty brutal clutch though (the triple). solid centre so not much give either.

ive got a direct clutch services solid center twin plate its actually pretty easy to drive i was surprised the first time i drove the car with it fairly heavy and a little noisey but the only thing that i can fault is the take up its either on or off in a big way no middle man but being solid center that is too be expected

one clutch i will never recommend is extreme clutches bloody poo the lot of em used two now and both were below china spec on performance

• 2 weeks later...

Heslo does anyone in SAU in SA or fellow GTR drivers that you know own

a HKS Twin Plate or a OSGIKEN STR Twin plate hoping to get a a few cars across the board

and hope to get a chance to compare clutches/pedals/drive-ability and

chat to these including your self of course about Characteristics and compare these Clutches

Kewl Kewl

Thanks Heaps Guys all of this helps as there are varying opinions

But most will of course know Twin Plates and GTRs go hand in hand!!!

Happy Cruising and Launching

post-43477-1246757492_thumb.jpg

post-43477-1246757432.jpg

^ same, orc 709d. When new it was a right bitch to get going, unless using a generous serving of rev's and a rapid release.. now it is very nice but with a decent bite. Seems to handle everything I have thrown at it so far, and I'm not real kind. Jangles like everything is stuffed with the clutch in, makes a funky noise on cranking.. all part of the character.

Considering one of these right now. I have the HKS which is slightly noisy, I wonder how this will compare. :P

Had an ORC twin plate - horrible friction point, very short. Noisy as, but handles launches really well.

Ended up putting a Jim Berry single plate in there and it was significantly nicer to drive, as well as handling the launches just as well (320rwkw)

Edited by TommO

I am on my 2nd clutch replacement plates for HKS GD Max Twin Plate. Love the bite and the lighten flywheel doesn't lose power on hill climb. Only problem was the pedal height need to be readjusted correctly so that the bite is not on the very last bit when releasing. Would like to try the Ogura Twins as the next replacement with the conversion kit.