SAU Community

Gtr Twin Plate Clutches

Sure can $2600 RRP

I Paid $2200 from believe it or not AUTOBAHN

I installed the clutch myself in the garage on the floor

Its my tenth GTR clutch change including mates GTRs of course

and $100 in Castrol Syntrans

Easy ass really well its a bit of work crawling in the floor etc

but Rather do myself and take my time then pay $500 to a mechanic, who usually Stuffs things up !!!

:laugh:

UPDATE : is still a little shutter and does smell a bit if you get a launch wrong

But so far Launching Hard as no mercy for the Drive Train

Really Positive , starting to allow a little slip to take Harshness out of a Launch

Update soon on the progress from a hills run

Not sure what's going on there Dennis. Mine was smooth as from day one, not a problem and never has been. Come drive mine and see for yourself

• 2 weeks later...
So how many kilometres do you reckon you 'run it in' for?

It took around two weeks of driving half an hour to work

clutch is Temp related more than Nismo advertise

Pull type may have a better design for plate control???? guessing???

i bet you could buy 10 nismo clutch kits and they would all differ some what

this is just my experience and it still does shudder at little now and again

• 2 weeks later...

i have an ORC 559 in my gtr, launches hard, doesn't slip.

Pretty noisey clutch, people who dont know what it is think the cars stuffed. Also makes a distinct ''shingg'' when car is started.

Loves 3rd gear! :D

• 2 months later...

UpDATE

Well after many months of driving in the 300 AWKW R32 GTR

The Final Results are in on the Nismo SupperCopperMix

Its Pretty good its light and can be almost forgotten as being standard

though still holds trates of shudder and twin plate caracteristics , certainly not a standard feel as most would have described

Is It worth is it YES most other Twin plates all have comprises is some form , Noisy/hard to drive in traffic/slips under power etc

But the Nismo does ity all pretty easy and quitely and with out too much fuss and when you launch Hard as you can reminds you

The Twin Plate can take a lot more than you can give it

Good lUck evey one with what you all choose or have chosen

SIR032 :D

Received an offer for a Nismo Twin Plate and Ogura Twins Plate with conversion kit. Im now using a HKS Twins and felt the bite has loss in 3rd gear shift up. Not sure it's due to my driving style which is very conservative and never done any hard launches / burn out.

What would you guys reckon should i do :

1) Replace the plates on my existing HKS Twins (2nd sets of plates after bought it secondhand from a mate.). Used for 3 years already.

2) Go Nismo (2nd hand)

3) Go Ogura (2nd hand)

Had a nismo super copper mix twin plate in my 32 gtr for 3yr's and 25000km's and is been great and yer at the start it shuddered a little and sometimes even gave off a bit of a clutch slip smell but its had 3 trips down the quater mile and many 7 grand lauches and is still going strong.I also install the forged pivot ball for the clutch fork and a nismo big bore slave cylinder and the pedal feel is like im driving some small 4 cylinder car oh yer forgot to mention my cars doing 300rwkw as well

I haven't been driving the car much for the past few weeks, so just last weekend went for a 150km blast with my other skyline mates. Gave it some stick with proper shift up to redline and downshift in the proper rpm for the twisties. The HKS Twins finally felt very grippy again and the gearbox felt less strain to redline, even 1st gear shudder is very much reduce during traffic take-up.

Was so close to changing the clutch this week, thank god for the return of HKS grip-style change-up. Anyone knows why and should the Twins be abuse slightly to get back into shape?

Edited by driftmeister

• 2 months later...

Excellent Cheers for your input

That Sounds very much like my experience to this day, however a question if i may

I kept the fork/pivot/slave etc Standard and it feels as if the pedal engages late or high

lets say around the last 70% of the full pedal travel, im used to it now but curious if this is correct

an whether your mods improve this ,pedal is still very light though has a nice strong feel still

Great to here you getting excellent long term value out of the Twin Plate NICE Stuff

SIR-032

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I am trying to decide which clutch to put in my R34 GTR, I am planning for about 300rwkw.

I am not interested in track work and would only launch it on rare occasions.

Do you all think I could get away with an Exedy cushion button single plate?

My other option is a Nismo Coppermix Twin, but I don't want an Nismo unless I have to as I would rather not spend the extra money unless I had to.

The Exedy is about $700 - $800 and the Nismo is $2800, so you can see my problem, if I don't need the Nismo I would be more than happy with the Exedy.

The question is will the Exedy handle the power for daily driving and the occasional spirited run? or is my only choice a twin plate of some sort?

Thanks

since your in vic call up racepace and ask for the their single plate,

i've got 280rwkw and it handles it easy, can't remember how many kw's its good for

but i remember chris saying easy over 300kw.

It feels light stock and easy in traffic you would be disappointed

since your in vic call up racepace and ask for the their single plate,

i've got 280rwkw and it handles it easy, can't remember how many kw's its good for

but i remember chris saying easy over 300kw.

It feels light stock and easy in traffic you would be disappointed

I think its about that mark but remember, the power quoted is for whats its running. I still reckon the twin would be better if you're doing hard launches all the time.

I was thinking of getting the twin but dont know if I should just get the single now or save up for the twin...

• 2 weeks later...

NPC twin plate, engagement is smooth (unlike os giken etc), pedal is pretty easy, definately daily driver material and only about $2050 from memory. Handles 600awhp (rev limiter drag launches) on my 1750kg car no drama and would definately reccomend them.

The best part is they are only about $300-$400 to rebuild, where as os giken etc are like $1200 etc to rebuild. My twin plate is massive, its bigger than the os giken quad plate i had before.

• 3 months later...

Ran a Exedy solid centered triple plate,

(i know this is for a twin plate comparison but i think all information is helpful)

around $3600 new if i rememer correctly, took all the punishment in the world

drove likle a bitch, took a lot of getting use to and hill starts are almost impossible without rpm and wheelspin

must say you do eventually get use to driving them, sort of

plates rattled, medium noise,

clutch to flywheel take up is noisy and brutal, pedal feel seemd like 5mm

I used it on the street and drag racing

when removing the clutch it still looked like new, almost

good for its purpose, drags or whtever

Excellent Cheers for your input

That Sounds very much like my experience to this day, however a question if i may

I kept the fork/pivot/slave etc Standard and it feels as if the pedal engages late or high

lets say around the last 70% of the full pedal travel, im used to it now but curious if this is correct

an whether your mods improve this ,pedal is still very light though has a nice strong feel still

Great to here you getting excellent long term value out of the Twin Plate NICE Stuff

SIR-032

Yeah they do engage quite late i run the standard fork/slave etc

Took a bit of getting use to coming from an exedy twin carbon which started to engage straight away.

Hey Dennis. I have the older Nismo Gmax twin Pull. has minimal shudder....only when slipped for more than 5sec...and gets warm...ie up a hill in traffic. Is holding 455rwkw no worries. A trap for young players was the flywheel is thinner than std meaning you need to shorten the bolts....couldn't work out what the rattle was for ages...6 track days later... has minimal rattle now...much less than my OS twin