SAU Community

Bomberman's Rb26debt Build From Dmms Or Better Known As Dazmo

Forgot to add this to the previous post. This is a picture of the bulker joint.

DSC04189.jpg

Turbo time! What a choice and a pain in the arse! I think i've changed my mind at least a million times before i decided what i wanted to go with. Like the displacement for my engine, i wanted to stay true to the original RB26DETT and therefore stuck with low mounted twins (as you probably would have guessed by now from the manifolds). Although during this journey i must say the HKS T04Z did look like an almighty attractive option! I actually bought and sold a number of turbo kits before settling on the ones i have now. BNR32 N1 turbos, (sold these as they were not ball bearing), HKS GT2530 (MINES car runs these so it must be good! Might hold onto these), HKS GT-RS (heard these have the top end like the GT2540 but spool up like a GT2530!........ BULLSH!T!) HKS GT-SS (Awesome response ive been told! But Dazza said you'll want to ditch these when im overtaking you on the race track!) TRUST T517Z (heard VERY good things, but the ball bearing benefits were too strong to ignore! no water cooling either!) I thought for a very long time that the HKS GT2530's were the way to go. Like i said Mines were using these and producing awesome results. It wasnt until december of 2007, during RevSpeed Time Attack at Tsukuba circuit that i saw the M-speed GTR run. Absolutely EVERYTHING about this car was perfect! I sooooooo wanted my car to run like that! All that power, all that response! It definitely lifted the bar much higher than the Mines GTR! Plus the Ztune GTR ran IHI based NISMO turbos too!

Anyway the M-Speed car ran these turbos.....IHI based APEXi AX53B60 RACING TURBINES.

e02.jpg

These were a special edition turbine made by Apexi. These had the Black tags.

BNR32BCNR33BNR34.jpg

BNR32BCNR33BNR34b.jpg

BNR32BCNR33BNR34c.jpg

Unfortunately, These were well out of my price range. This is what i ended up with. Still Apexi AX53B60 rated at 340ps per turbo but these had a red tag. These must have been the povo version.

P1010244.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

The Apexi turbos have always been expensive. There were retailing approx 50-60k yen more than HKS GT2530's and the black tag babies were going for almost 100k yen more than the red tag ones! What i dont understand is, What is the difference between the two!? they are physically the same size, produce the same output........ what am i missing here? Why such the huge price difference? I could see where the extra pricing between the HKS and the Apexi turbos were. The Apexi turbos are IHI based and therefore oil and waterlines are different to those which are garret based ie stock nissan and HKS turbos. This is where the money went.

DSC02773.jpg

All lines and fittings were from EARLS, and a sticker for that extra 5kw :blink:

DSC02774.jpg

The braided lines and fittings from the turbo kit definitely made things a lot easier when used in conjunction with the HKS balance pipe manifolds. For starters, the stock water hard lines would have definetly been in the way and would have to be re-routed. From what I've been told, its quite a mission. I saw one for sale recently which included modified lines to suit the manifold.

Apparently looks something like this.

rtbegw-img600x450-1259463479etmprg2.jpg

Here are some better pics of the turbo.

FRONT

SNV31309.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

BACK

SNV31317.jpg

OIL AND WATER

SNV31312.jpg

SNV31313.jpg

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

I was very hesitant to do the next part, but it was much easier than i thought!

The V-Band in the middle was removed

SNV31322.jpg

Circlip which held the actuator in place was also removed........(someone almost lost an eye in the process when it shot across the room)

SNV31336.jpg

SNV31338.jpg

The exhaust housing pretty much just drops off! This is the P21 housing which is the larger of the two trims available. It was also available in a P18 housing.

SNV31346.jpg

Lucky for me it has a locator dowel so i can put it back together!

SNV31348-1.jpg

actuator

SNV31350-1.jpg

Exhaust wheel

DSC02739.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

Exhaust housings off to be Ceramic coated!

Ok, they say a picture tells a thousand words......... In this next part, I'm going to let the pictures tell the story. The following sequence of events i have tried to reconstruct to the best that my memory will allow. Try to keep up.......(scroll down)

DSC02773modified.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

UMMMMMMMM....................................ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........

DSC04042.jpg

DSC04040.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...................KNEEBONE CONNECTED TO THE..........

DSC04041.jpg

wongy002A.jpg

wongy003A-1.jpg

wongy004A-1.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04042.jpg

wongy003A-1.jpg

wongy002A.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

TA DA!

wongy005A-1.jpg

If memory serves me right, this is quite accurate isnt it Daz? :blink:

• Like 1

Looks good. And you're getting there. Hope it'll be done soon so you can come to the car wash too.

cheers mate! Really looking forward to meeting you guys! I hope to catch up with you guys for ice cream before its finished. ;P

Curse you bomberman! You should have kept the Apexi VMAX crank!!!!! In seriousness, this is one of the best builds on this forum, great work.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the kind words. Im glad youre enjoying it. There is QUITE a lot more to go yet. Heaps of photos to come. Hope you and the guys dont mind all the pics. I went crazy with the camera! The V-Max crank would have been too heavy! It was approx 5kg heavier than the HKS that im using.

Probably more suited to a drag application.

Very nice.Im curious to see how these turbo's perform against 2530's ..

Is that a thermal barrier coating on the inside of the exhast manifolds ?

Ez09, as far as i know it is a ceramic coating that must go on before the black ceramic goes on. The manifolds, the exhaust housing and the dump pipes have all been ceramic coated the same way, ie inside and out.

I know im over doing it on the pics, but i think they look really cool!

Not over doing it with the pics, too many pics are barely enough!

Awesome build, awesome thread - great for someone like me (that needs to do a rebuild) to see everything involved in such detail... Can't wait to see the end result

Edited by emtea

Hey man I havnt finished reading the whole thread yet but its good to see you are taking the time to get the photos and supply info on why you chose the parts you did.

good luck with it and Ill be keeping a close eye on it

Not over doing it with the pics, too many pics are barely enough!

Awesome build, awesome thread - great for someone like me (that needs to do a rebuild) to see everything involved in such detail... Can't wait to see the end result

Cheers Emtea, thanks for the kind comments. Glad you're enjoying the thread. I look forward to seeing your build on this forum soon! If your happy with the volume of pictures and if all other members have no objection, then MORE pics it is! From the looks of things there might be a slight change in direction. Once I fully decide which way i want to go, i'll make sure i provide updates and have plenty of pics to keep it (hopefully) interesting. :ninja:

Hey man I havnt finished reading the whole thread yet but its good to see you are taking the time to get the photos and supply info on why you chose the parts you did.

good luck with it and Ill be keeping a close eye on it

Thanks Lawler for noticing. Yes i do try my best to give reasoning behind why i choose to use the parts that i end up using. Actually, a LOT of thought goes into everything i use. I dont like to just slap on or change parts for the sake of it or because someone told me to. A lot of inspiration comes from cars that have proven success on street/track (ie Mines/Mspeed haha if only i wasnt at the mercy of my budget all the time!) :ninja:

Cheers Emtea, thanks for the kind comments. Glad you're enjoying the thread. I look forward to seeing your build on this forum soon!

Thanks ABM, unfortunately my (re)build is going to be a while coming... But I will take as many photos as I can and make a thread for it :ninja:

mate great choice in turbos... i had a ax53b70 on my rb20 and it was awesome. only problem i had is it would boost creep if i tried to run to low boost and drop off boost top end if i ran too high boost!!!

will be very keen to see your results :(

Edited by Cerbera

mate great choice in turbos... i had a ax53b70 on my rb20 and it was awesome. only problem i had is it would boost creep if i tried to run to low boost and drop off boost top end if i ran too high boost!!!

will be very keen to see your results :(

Cerbera, great to hear some personal results. My friend had one on his RB25 and he shares the same comments as you. i know the B70 is a bit bigger (rated 380ps) but going by reviews and graphs in Japanese magazines, The response of the apexi ax series turbos are fantastic, which is what im chasing. At the end of the day, i'm not really chasing a number so im definitely willing to sacrafice top end for better response. If i get a nice number at the end, then that is a bonus. To be honest, i have been wanting to use the AX series of turbo for some time. I had one for my s14 but i never got around to fitting it. This pair have been in the closet for sometime too. Time to blow out the cobwebs!

I absolutely love this build and I agree with everyone else we need MOAR PICS!

Can't wait to see it finished though looks like you have put a lot of thought and hard work into everything. Would love to do a build like this on my car one day.

Bomber Man - I have an AX53B70 on my 25.

Very very pleased with it, great street/track turbo in my opinion.

Response is a bit duller than stock, and thats about it.

In terms of top end, it's making 250kW @ 21psi, pulls hard all the way to redline (boost drops off a touch but still pulls like a freight train)

Very impressed so far, looking forward to seeing a pair of the AX turbos on your beast :)

And my God do I love your build... please give more pics... PLEASE!! :)

Thanks Lawler for noticing. Yes i do try my best to give reasoning behind why i choose to use the parts that i end up using. Actually, a LOT of thought goes into everything i use. I dont like to just slap on or change parts for the sake of it or because someone told me to. A lot of inspiration comes from cars that have proven success on street/track (ie Mines/Mspeed haha if only i wasnt at the mercy of my budget all the time!) ;)

Lol I know that feeling. I just wish I had the same sort of cars to look at for insperation and have had that sort of success for my projected.

Oh and keep the photos comming. If you start feeling like you are putting to many photos just have a look at my build thread and i be safe in knowing we all dothe same

Edited by lawler

Cerbera, great to hear some personal results. My friend had one on his RB25 and he shares the same comments as you. i know the B70 is a bit bigger (rated 380ps) but going by reviews and graphs in Japanese magazines, The response of the apexi ax series turbos are fantastic, which is what im chasing. At the end of the day, i'm not really chasing a number so im definitely willing to sacrafice top end for better response. If i get a nice number at the end, then that is a bonus. To be honest, i have been wanting to use the AX series of turbo for some time. I had one for my s14 but i never got around to fitting it. This pair have been in the closet for sometime too. Time to blow out the cobwebs!

yeah tad bigger, but lag was comparable to a 2530 and it was making 300rwhp at about 17psi which is very good for a dirty 20