SAU Community

Turbo Choice - Amateur Track Setup

Redsuns88

Hello there,

first off i know this should be in the forced induction, infact it is, and i cant find a way to delete it so mods please remove it.

secondly i know i shouldnt post it in but i feel that most of the gurus post and kinda stick to here and its kinda ... anways! :banana::P

Popped my stock turbo lately and thought why not.. lets build a amateur setup for a hillclimbs and sprints/circuit.

i am aiming to base my car around response/power

Yes i have a SR20DET and i am in the midsts of deciding what turbo first before all other supporting mods.

originally i wanted a HKS2530 internally gated with a HKS 14psi actuator..

but prices of a 2530 seem to be a bit too far to reach. so i have to decided to use garrett turbos either a GT2860RS or a GT2817R with a .86 exhaust i think

I was leaning towards a GT2860RS as i think "i maybe wrong" but closest spec to the HKS 2530

was speaking to someone who knew their turbos and they was suggesting i choose the GT2817R with a .86 rear housing or exhaust as it is a little more "laggy" then the .64 but for track work it wont have any issues compared to the .64 where that was mainly based for street, heating issues they said....

so now i am unsure what turbo to choose from. maybe you guru's will be able to help me choose. I don't plan on working the internals just yet, i just want to focus on maybe a little on the head and allowing oil to flow smoothly without it being jerky, With the usual rocker stoppers, oil cooler, fmic, EBC, bosch 044 and maybe a fuel reg but i don't think the fuel reg is really needed unless proper ecu work and such.

As for the turbo i want it low mounted, was considering a 6boost manifold but yet was thinking stock would prolly be the best way to go. aiming for response and power do not want laggy or silly turbo suggestions please

Power wise? i don't really have a figure (guess when you do want a figure its too high anyway) so i want high response and power

support mods since its going to be amateur setup its gong to be with stock internals then later ill take it more seriously but as for support mods i was thinking since my car is off the road.

FMIC, EBC, Oil cooler, 044, rocker stoppers, high volume sump, 3" TBE with high flow ceramic cat i think i'm missing out some

please tell me what you think,

Cheers.

Just briefly;

Both turbos you have suggested are proven track performers. personally i'd be sticking with .64 in both. power wise in track tune with cams and a stock bottom end you are looking at around 220kw for a .64 disco (near enough to a 2530) and 240 for a 52T .64 2871 (gtrs). I'd tend to lean towards the disco of the 2 as the response is a fair bit better and i think more than makes up for the loss of top end.

I have the GT2860RS 0.64 .

It's all in (19psi) by 3100rpm with 256/264 cams and it has a very wide torque spread. It's making 95% torque at 3100rpm onto a peak at 5000rpm. After 6500rpm it begins to taper off. I'll try and get it on the dyno soon and let you know how it goes. (I haven't dynoed it since I last tuned the ECU)

I have driven many GT2871R 0.64 equipped SR20s and the GT2860RS is the far better performer in transient response. Coming out or corners the GT2860RS equipped motor will pull a margin as it's putting the torque down almost instantly.

S13deviat has a slightly modded s13 sr20 with cams, ecu, boost etc running a standard s15 turbo.

In that current setp he does 1.09'2 around waklie which is pretty good!!!

He was looking to upgrade to the hks GTRS turbo for his motorsport applications.

just a bit of food for thought - I know you said no hks - garret only, but thought id just out it out there!

Hope so!,

plan on doing minimal head work but then i guess if i was installing rocker arm stoppers there is a change to install cam gears?

but isnt cam gears isnt really untill more of a after market ecu and other such?

I had one of these on my s15. This is basically a garrett version of the HKS GT-RS.

With HKS cams (256deg in & ex), a power fc and all the usual bolt on bits and pieces it was really nice to drive on both the track and the street. It felt like it was maybe ever-so-slightly laggier than the standard turbo but once it came on it felt like it had a massive gain in midrange and pulled almost all the way to 7k. (this was even running a lower boost setting than i was with the standard turbo)

I was very happy with the choice for a street driven car that was occasionally taken to the track and the response was amazing.

Would def recommend rocker stoppers and headwork if you can afford it.

You can get away without cam gears usually as most people have them dialled to zero anyway and for the cost of buying these and the time taken to play around with them, there is a lot more value for money to be had elsewhere.

ECU, FMIC, EBC, Oil cooler, 044, Injectors, Rocker Stoppers, 3" TBE with high flow ceramic cat would be the minimum I'd recommend.

I'd suggest an ECU at the same time as injectors and turbo upgrade.

yea already got a FMIC but going to get another one.

So as far planned brand new hdi Gtspec FMIC, EBC, Oil cooler, 044, Rocker stoppers, 3"tbe w/ hiflow ceramic cat, alloy radiator, thermo setup.

then what i will do is utilize free flowing vent with piping one leading to intake and other other towards engine to try and lower engine bay temps.

as for EBC i dont know wat to get.

initially i wanted the PFC ecu and combo with PFC boost controller.. but i dont know now, greddy profect B, HDI dual stage, so many to chose from .. meh..

as for gauges i was planning on using defi as they was the calibrated and easiest to hook up. but just planning on running; boost, oil temp, oil press and water press..

as for EBC i dont know wat to get.

initially i wanted the PFC ecu and combo with PFC boost controller.. but i dont know now, greddy profect B, HDI dual stage, so many to chose from .. meh..

as for gauges i was planning on using defi as they was the calibrated and easiest to hook up. but just planning on running; boost, oil temp, oil press and water press..

If you have a tuner in mind, I would ask them what ebc they find the best to work with.

In my case I went with the latest HKS EVC (5 or 6 depending on the shop).

This worked very well on my car with the mods I had, however a mate running one on his stock 34 has had some issues.

Heard stories about the pfc one not working that well but then other people say its brilliant.

Also ran defis in mine and same combo as you plan to. Never had a problem and they are very easy to read in all conditions. There is an option to change the brightness for both when the lights are on and when they are off.

Handy feature as opposed to just bright or brighter.

Anyone know wats better for an RB20 out of the GT2860RS or a GT2817R, using the car for same thing hill climbs, sprints etc....???

Edited by trezy85

I've tried the 2530s on SR20 and they are pretty good. but to be honest I'm not sure why you asked peoples advice and then tell them you're only interested in 2 turbos? you need to open your mind a bit if you want some advice.

currently for that kind of application I love the little trust turbo. currently running a T518Z on my SR20 (obviously with power FC, profec E-01 EBC, Z32 MAF, 550cc injectors, fuel pump, stainless mani, fmic etc). it puts out 235rwkw at only 17psi or so. excellent response. not sure how much more power it would make with more boost (i suspect not much), but the response and torque is very good.

I've tried the 2530s on SR20 and they are pretty good. but to be honest I'm not sure why you asked peoples advice and then tell them you're only interested in 2 turbos? you need to open your mind a bit if you want some advice.

currently for that kind of application I love the little trust turbo. currently running a T518Z on my SR20 (obviously with power FC, profec E-01 EBC, Z32 MAF, 550cc injectors, fuel pump, stainless mani, fmic etc). it puts out 235rwkw at only 17psi or so. excellent response. not sure how much more power it would make with more boost (i suspect not much), but the response and torque is very good.

So sorry to do such a thing Baron matey,

Its just i don't have a huge a budget and i was aiming at response and power at the same time.

because its going to be a street registered with straight bolt on mods and retaining the same manifold.

its actually came down that i have been offered a hks2530 so i will get the seals checked when it arrives !

Hey Cyph3r - As for the tuner i dont know any good tuners in brisbane.. i hear of STZ guys but i dont know really..

apc seem alright but theres a mighty price tag to go along with it.