SAU Community

Sprint Booster

The Haltech 350z Platinum can work as a copgy back to the OE ECU instead of as a replacement if you have to stay with Haltech.

Good choice going with the eManage though (easier since you are in Melbourne as we have a few damn good tuners for it down here).

Haltech Platinum 350Z would have been 1st preference, but I can't justify the difference in cost, around $2,500 vs. $1,000 for the Emanage Ultimate, it has pretty much all the features I was looking for (datalogging) plus a couple more like being able to influence the fuel and timing maps based on radiator water temp or intake air temp.

im surprised the haltech does support the S14 but it doesnt support the S15. they have virtually the same motor! even the NA varieties were VTC equipped

Actually I was wrong, on their website for compatible cars they list the Silvia with a * note that interceptor does fuel control only. Not sure why they listed the S14 and not S15 with the same note though...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Just been going through the old posts and came across this one, interested in whether Kam-80 got emanage ultimate to work well? i would have thought that it would struggle as the factory programed closed loop goes to pretty high RPM load before switching to open loop maps, so I've been told?

Hey All, yeah I got my E-manage Ultimate working, the issue was in the "Plug & Play" harness, it was a manufacturing fault where the harness was sending +5V to TPS instead of TPS...hmmm. Diagnosed by RE Customs and just re-routed the correct wire. Anyway, after that issue had been sorted out tuning went fine. Yep closed loop does seem to go relatively high onto the load map and it runs a bit rich under those conditions.

But my car runs fine. The only issue I'm having is that the car dumps fuel when the AFM runs out at around 6000rpm and using a MAP sensor we've only been able to pull that back up to around 10.5:1 AFR so it feels a bit flat in the driver's seat at that spot. May need to look at substituing a Z32 AFM somewhere down the line but for now it's fine. Also the rev limiter function doesn't seem to be working, though I still need to fiddle around with it a bit more.

Other than that E-manage Ultimate runs a treat, car is currently making 258.6rwkw at 7.5 PSI.

Kam, you could try fitting the airflow sensor into a larger pipe to decrease the flow seen by the hotwire. Should work, although I havent tried it yet.

Was that a recent dyno at RE? Theirs seems to read 20kw under now.

The final tune was done on the 7th of this month. The dyno broke about a month ago, maybe it has new calibration after repair? I've heard about upgrading the MAF housing from 2.75-inch to 3-inch. If you calculate that out it would give about 10-percent more resolution?

wonder if this has detrimental effects for an auto.

on early morning starts...i prefer to drive at low rpms until i reach operating temps. this sounds like it'll be harder to drive that way

is it just me or do all mods for the 35 seem to fit the same pattern of costing lots but not having any empirically evidence of actual improvement.

Plenum spacers, pod filters (sorry pop chargers) with dubious partitions, throttle adaptors, ztubes etc.

It all seems like the 350 world is drunk on american forum bred stupid.

That said, i could just be biased, before the v35 i had a gt25t (still have it). mods for that seemed logical, documented and tested with real results.

Admittedly FI made power gains far easier to acheive.

It seems to me that unless you want to spend big bucks on major engine work or FI for the v35, save your cash for handling mods.

Hey All, yeah I got my E-manage Ultimate working, the issue was in the "Plug & Play" harness, it was a manufacturing fault where the harness was sending +5V to TPS instead of TPS...hmmm. Diagnosed by RE Customs and just re-routed the correct wire. Anyway, after that issue had been sorted out tuning went fine. Yep closed loop does seem to go relatively high onto the load map and it runs a bit rich under those conditions.

But my car runs fine. The only issue I'm having is that the car dumps fuel when the AFM runs out at around 6000rpm and using a MAP sensor we've only been able to pull that back up to around 10.5:1 AFR so it feels a bit flat in the driver's seat at that spot. May need to look at substituing a Z32 AFM somewhere down the line but for now it's fine. Also the rev limiter function doesn't seem to be working, though I still need to fiddle around with it a bit more.

Other than that E-manage Ultimate runs a treat, car is currently making 258.6rwkw at 7.5 PSI.

a simple fix is purchasing a $40 fuel cut defender to alter the afm voltages

that is what Ive done to get around a 6000rpm fuel/afm issue (using AEM F/IC-8 which is essentially an american made emanage ultimate)

the rb25 couldnt be tuned past 229rwkw

fitted the fcd to the afm wires, tuned it on the dyno for 249rwkw

this time revs thru to 7000rpm with no issues

before was a full-on cut at 6000rpm and couldnt work around it

thats with a z32 afm as well

The final tune was done on the 7th of this month. The dyno broke about a month ago, maybe it has new calibration after repair? I've heard about upgrading the MAF housing from 2.75-inch to 3-inch. If you calculate that out it would give about 10-percent more resolution?

With the map sensor you should be able to clamp the airflow signal and take over past that point with the map signal. Are RE doing the tune or do you have your own tuner?

wonder if this has detrimental effects for an auto.

Sorry I should clarify, my car runs rich on closed loop because I have 480CC injectors and even with injector scaling the closed loop operation can't quite bring it back to stoich. If you're running stock injectors + E-Manage Ultimate you should have no issue with closed loop tuning. It's not partciularly unsafe, just uses a bit more fuel.

is it just me or do all mods for the 35 seem to fit the same pattern of costing lots but not having any empirically evidence of actual improvement.

Plenum spacers, pod filters (sorry pop chargers) with dubious partitions, throttle adaptors, ztubes etc.

There are dyno charts that show some gain in the plenum spacer, I don't know about the other mods though but like you said, when tuning NA the yield per dollar spent is very low. Also the VQ is a relatively new tuning platform and as usual you will have 100 keyboard racers for every one person who's spent the time to properly document and evaluate changes so it's going to take time for information to filter through. The RB has been a staple tuning platform for well over a decade so many people have done already done the hard yards.

With the map sensor you should be able to clamp the airflow signal and take over past that point with the map signal. Are RE doing the tune or do you have your own tuner?

Ray @ RE did the tune, I'm pretty sure the signal is clamped once it tops out as the car is tuned with MAP as load reference, it works OK after that initial point and brings AFR back up, but it's literally a split second of dumping fuel. I think he might have even tried claming the voltage a bit lower down to no avail.

I was interested in anyone who has tried an emenage or any piggyback on an N/A engine, to see if there was a way to fool the std ECU into controlling closed loop, the only way i can think of is the way i did it with my Supra, by using an Innovate wideband set up and feed the std ECU with a slightly modified lambda signal.

As for the AFM scaling issue and closed loop, as said a lager intake tube may help, but i would have thought that the EMU pressure sensor would be taking care of any + pressure fuelling as the maps can be scaled by that, there is or used to be an add on for the EMU,to take care of closed loop, i think its called the Fmanage, but i have yet to here of anyone using one? and in any case i heard that Greddy/Trust are in receivership?

I was interested in anyone who has tried an emenage or any piggyback on an N/A engine, to see if there was a way to fool the std ECU into controlling closed loop, the only way i can think of is the way i did it with my Supra, by using an Innovate wideband set up and feed the std ECU with a slightly modified lambda signal.

I've read there are a few ways to effectively keep the ECU out of closed loop tuning, but if it's a big concern then rather than hacking it's probably better to jump straight to a Haltech.

EDIT : E-manage Ultimate also has ports for F-Manage and V-Manage so you can continue to add those features to the EUM if required.

As for the AFM scaling issue and closed loop, as said a lager intake tube may help, but i would have thought that the EMU pressure sensor would be taking care of any + pressure fuelling as the maps can be scaled by that, there is or used to be an add on for the EMU,to take care of closed loop, i think its called the Fmanage, but i have yet to here of anyone using one? and in any case i heard that Greddy/Trust are in receivership?

AFM voltage has been clamped and EMU pressure sensor is doing all the tuning. It's an anomaly at the moment, maybe an RPM / MAF voltage condition trigger.

Edited by Kam-80

My plenum spacer made a noticable improvement in the last 500RPM of the rev range, and I picked up a few rwkW on the dyno. This is what other people who've done it have also said / demonstrated with graphs.

The Popcharger probably kills power a bit (most modern cars don't like the turbulent air swirl that apparently pod filters like making) but it makes a glorious noise.

As for the "dubious" partitions, I've used an IR thermometer to check the "engine" side of the heat shield and the metal ring on the filter itself after pitting in at Wakefield. There was a 20 degree difference between the two. The intake air sensor was reading itself was about 5 degrees above what my ambient temp was reading as I was travelling into the garage. The reading on the metal ring was higher, but then I'd pulled to a halt before I could get out and check the temps. I would have had a bit of heat soak when I measured the surface temps on the intake.

I didn't have the ability to check the intake air temps vs ambient temps prior to the Popcharger install but if the values rose I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

As for the Z-Tube, since my car comes with one stock I can't comment on its effectiveness. For a lot of people, though, its the noise more than anything else that would be the reason to upgrade.

That said, i could just be biased, before the v35 i had a gt25t (still have it). mods for that seemed logical, documented and tested with real results.

Mods for that also have a decade more collective experience, so you're just following the well worn path trailblazed by others.

I got my Z back in 03, when they were first released, and the Z33 was the first VQ powered sports car Nissan released. The guys I talked to back then had to do mods by trial and error. These days there's reasonable knowledge on what to avoid, but in terms of the knowledge out there it'd still be like trying to tune an R32 back in 1995 (but without a motorsport program for a production model like the R32 GT-R had).

And since most people in the US could afford to FI their cars, relatively little time and effort has gone into NA tuning on these cars. Not that there are a great deal of gains to be had - 300hp+ from a 3.5L NA engine with such a wide spread of torque is already pretty good.

Admittedly FI made power gains far easier to acheive.

Exactly. Not only that, but the OEM setup for most of those cars was pretty shoddy. There's a lot of restrictions in what Nissan put in, and deleting them would give you a big gain. The V and Z's engine setup is pretty reasonably tuned already, so any gains are going to be fractionally less even before you consider that FI amplifies the absolute increase from a fixed percentage increase.