SAU Community

Financial Review Car Journo Gets Busted

Gotta love how they say " excessive speed is a contributing factor "

Note: Excessive speed does not necceserily imply driving over the speed limit

and I would love to now what "contributing factor" actualy means...

Also... a whole 60 ppl? as sad as it is, in reality it is a very small number...

A lot more people die from prety much anything else every year.

A lot more people get murdered every year yet we dont see any massive campaighns to fight that...

Now who would like to guess why that is?

soft targets / easy votes, we all know why..

I believe the last statistics I saw from the office of road safety was that 2% of accidents were caused by speed. In other circumstances speed may have 'contributed' to increasing the damage done but the actual cause of the accident is usually inattention or fatigue.

I think speed limits should be increased on freeways and highways to combat the actual causes of accidents, by reducing the time it takes to get to/from places and forcing the driver to be more alert. Anyone who's driven a long stretch of country road knows how mind numbing it is doing it at even 110km/h.

they won't raise speed limits above 110kmh for various reasons. 1 being environmental. emissions would increase. the faster you go, the more fuel you burn (so despite the fact that you are driving for a shorter amount of time, you will use more fuel and therefore have higher emissions).

and if you set the speedlimit at 120, you will just have people sitting on 130. no matter what speed you put on a road there will always be people who sit 5 or 10km/h over it, simply because they can.

if the road is mind numbing at 110kmh, after a while it will become mind numbing at 120kmh, only difference is that at 120kmh you have less time to react and it takes you longer to stop.

In NSW they can only crush the car if it's owned only by the driver who committed the offence, that's why all of my cars are in joint names. Plus finance companies, including banks, have mounted legal arguments that their percuniary interests can't be put aside by the actions of a driver. That's why so few cars have actually been crushed.

Actually the reason No cars are crushed in NSW is because there is no legislation to "crush" cars. Cars can be forfieted after the second offence and sold (*or if the value of the car is too low, just given away as scrap,) The RTA can apply for the car to use for crash testing or educational puposes.

Being an owner, joint owner or not even the owner bears little relevence in a forfieture. If you arent the owner, they merely have to notify you within 14 days that they took the car. You have to apply through the courts to get it back.

By joint registering a vehicle you risk losing a car quicker. If any registered owner is served a suspension notice and is detected 2 times in 5 years the car can be taken.

Actually the reason No cars are crushed in NSW is because there is no legislation to "crush" cars. Cars can be forfieted after the second offence and sold (*or if the value of the car is too low, just given away as scrap,) The RTA can apply for the car to use for crash testing or educational puposes.

Being an owner, joint owner or not even the owner bears little relevence in a forfieture. If you arent the owner, they merely have to notify you within 14 days that they took the car. You have to apply through the courts to get it back.

By joint registering a vehicle you risk losing a car quicker. If any registered owner is served a suspension notice and is detected 2 times in 5 years the car can be taken.

ummm, i'm pretty sure they check the licence of the driver, not the rego of the car to see if they have had any suspensions before hand. otherwise you wouldn't want to buy a car off someone who was selling it after getting 2 strikes as according to your theory the first time you get done you will lose the car for good.

Gotta love how they say " excessive speed is a contributing factor "

Note: Excessive speed does not necceserily imply driving over the speed limit

and I would love to now what "contributing factor" actualy means...

Also... a whole 60 ppl? as sad as it is, in reality it is a very small number...

A lot more people die from prety much anything else every year.

A lot more people get murdered every year yet we dont see any massive campaighns to fight that...

Now who would like to guess why that is?

Enjoy:

Speed Kills - the Big Lie?

http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1234

ummm, i'm pretty sure they check the licence of the driver, not the rego of the car to see if they have had any suspensions before hand. otherwise you wouldn't want to buy a car off someone who was selling it after getting 2 strikes as according to your theory the first time you get done you will lose the car for good.

Maybe better if I clarify it with an example.

You joint register a car with your brother. He gets caught twice. You stand to lose your car.

but if you have only paid for half the car you only stand to lose half. then you make them pay you for losing your half of the car.

but if it is in the case of your wife being the other name on the joint rego it isn't really an issue as much because you share things anyway, so if your wife loses her car you effectively lose a car. i would never go joint ownership on a car unless it was with the missus. going on with a friend or family member is only going to cause trouble.

I believe the last statistics I saw from the office of road safety was that 2% of accidents were caused by speed. In other circumstances speed may have 'contributed' to increasing the damage done but the actual cause of the accident is usually inattention or fatigue.

Yea speed doesnt kill its lack of attention/knowledge brought on by w/e.

If it was speed there would be no F1 drivers alive

• 1 month later...
Hahaha yes I would love to see this car crushed. Imagine the lawsuit it would kick up...

Can bet if it was an import it would be seeing the crusher - willing to bet they make exceptions for half million dollar exotics.