SAU Community

What Tyres Do People Have?

As much as she'd love new shoes, it's coming up to the time where my baby needs to be reheeled!! (coincidentally I just noticed it on my fav pair of shoes too...)

I don't know much on this topic so I thought I'd put it out there. What kinda tyres are you guys all using? Going to need something in a 17x9 :down:

The tyres that the guy I bought my car off put on it before I bought it (~100kms before :P) are actually QUITE good

They're maxxis tyres, can't remember the model number as such, 17" x 9", were around $165 each. Tread is plenty deep, handles really well in the wet (unless of course you're boasting 362rwkw, kat)

I've got the receipt for them if you want the model number, just in case you wanna look into something like it a bit further, otherwise yeah a lot of ppl on here use and recommend federal tyres, apparently they're great tyres for a budget price :D

Using RE55 now and they're awesome. I feel very safe doing corners at higher speed comparing to the old chinese shit. Having said that, they're too exp to replace (bought wheel and they came with it). I've heard good stuff about KU36 (slivia forum is selling them cheap) and Federal 595SS (a lot of people can get it cheap here). With the price them $235 for 265/35/18 KU36 and SS, you cant go wrong.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle LS2000 which go for $229 each. They dont score high on the fashion side of things but they do the job. I had to brake hard recently to avoid having a kangaroo through the windscreen and was happy with the stopping distance.

I'm here, I'm here! :P

Kat - What do you want most out of your tyres? - Life, low noise, max dry grip, max wet grip? No tyre can do everything, there is always a comprimise...

With your car's power figure and the amount that you drive it (I'm assuming not that much?) - I always recommend the 595RS-R because it will give you massive amounts of dry traction whil still being quite predictable and progressive in the wet and maintaining good life (around 25 - 27,000kms depending on how you drive).

You will need 255/40R17's for your rims.

Ask Michele, Jeno or Donnan - they all use these and I'm sure they are very happy with them.

P.S. - PM me for prices. :D

post-17958-1249603552_thumb.jpg

Given the wording in Mick's response, he just sold me a set of Federal's when I need to change mine! lol not that I wasn't gonna look at going with Fed's anyway when the Maxxis' are done.

haha what bad experience did you have with Maxxis tyres Kat? Mine have been great so far, give me the scenario and I'll try recreating it - see what I get :)

On my 17x9s I have Toyo T1Rs, 255/40/17 x4, and they are a great road tyre in all conditions. They were $330 each (probably a touch high but I needed them that week).

If I had to do it again I would be looking at the Kumho KU36.

yokohama advan 102's on the front 245 40 17

yokohama advan V103's on the back 265 40 17

had 102's on the back, gripped well but wore out in no time, 103's are longer wearing.

Might look you up Mick, when it's time to go again. I like the look of that tyre you posted, my 102's were the same as that, great road pattern but yoko's are exe around $400 fitted a tyre hurts

Cheers for the posts guys :)

Mick, sent you a PM!

I didn't have one specific incident with the Maxxis but overall I found them a really shit tyre and noticed a huge difference when I changed. Considering my car is now a fair bit more powerful there's no way I'd go back there!

Currently running Hankooks all round (unsure of the specific model) and they've been ok for a pretty cheap tyre but would like to upgrade this time round.

There's a decent thread in suspension area that covers many types of tyres. Unfortunatly opinions are like assholes and often wrong particuarly comparing tyres with different wear etc.

From my GTR with 266awkw and a no BS answer.

595-ss 255/40/17 Around town tyre, lacking in grip when you want to use the power. Around the track it was most evident the car suspension was out handeling the tyres. This size also lowers the speedo slightly but still within ADR.

Some Korean/chine tyre in 255/45/17, great match for actual speed on the speedo, unfortunatly the 595-SS are 10 times better and only about $50 more per tyre. ( I would worry about the name, except they are so bad)

595-RSR 265/35/18 Now these tyres make a dramatic improvement to steering and grip well above just upsizing the rim an inch. They are a bit slow to warm up and wet handeling is not super confident but all over far better then the 595-SS. For about $400-500 a tyre you can't go wrong. Most other big brand name Semi slicks are considered better from reading tyre comparo's but when you look at the pilot sport for $1000 a tyre, the Federals give a very good showing.

Conclusion, unless you have $4000 to spend on tyres, buy the Federal 595-RSR.

Well that's the thing, opinions are just that. They're not fact they are just what people think. Doesn't mean I'm going to just go and do what everyone tells me to do, I was just curious to see what exactly it was that most people seemed to be using. Good varying range there so it seems.

Few other things have worn and the car is booked in to Inline soon as well. Just getting a bit of an idea before I head off and plan anything.

235/45/17 Federal 595-RS here. discontinued model i think but i picked them up for $200 each and for that money they are an awesome tyre. (DRD-00F and his suggestive selling)

Edited by TiTAN