SAU Community

Friday Laughs: Camaro Tuner To Take On Gt-r With Turbo V6

Friday Laughs: Camaro Tuner to Take on GT-R With Turbo V6

After reading the article on the home page... Maybe they can do it! (They will have to work hard...)

Just a thought: You could purchase the Camaro, modify it..., and save a cool $100k USD in your pocket..

The Camaro + $100K savings is looking better all the time!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i prefer the looks (exterior) of the Camaro more so than the GTR. Going out on a limb here saying i would probably even prefer a black supercharged V8 Camaro over the new GTR :)

Hows the Camaro's Suspension, Braking, Drivetrain and Transmission compare to the R35 GTR?

I'm guessing it's not going to be near that of the R35, particularly if we're talking about technology...but I imagine it would hold it's own around a track given the vehicle comes from the same stable that produced the ZR1. They've been making American cars handle well these days :ninja:

Is this for track or drags?

The OP left it out, but the goal of the American tuner is to beat the R35 around the Nurburgring.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1034092...rgring-lap-time

I imagine it would hold it's own around a track given the vehicle comes from the same stable that produced the ZR1. They've been making American cars handle well these days :)

The Camaro is built on the same platform as the VE Commodore.

A modified car being quicker than a stock one isn't astounding. What I find stranger is that they're going for a STS turbo, which is basically where they put the turbocharger in the spot where the rear muffler used to be rather than right off the exhaust manifolds. The Americans seem to be falling in love with that setup, although the physics behind it still baffles me.

Yeah I know :)

I've heard that type of setup has its own benefits (V engine compatability for a single turbo) and is actually pretty responsive despite what you'd think. I don't have the guts to try it though haha.

The only thing I can come up with is that the whole exhaust system would be pressurised to the point where any change in exhaust flow at the manifold would be near immediately felt at the other end where the turbo sits.

if it doesn't beat the gtr (or at least get clsoe) there will be something wrong. they are basically taking a street car and turning it into a road legal race car. so they can air aerodynamic aids to give it more downforce, have a suspension setup designed purely for the track (they only said it would be road legal, not comfortable, LOL), etc. then can basically make a race car with number plates.

you could beat it with a commodore or falcon if you wanted.

Great Comments!

The new GTR is a great car and should be for the price tag... Lot's of high tech stuff!

On the Camaro Story, I'm not sure about that STS turbo setup... I'm still doing some research on it.

I like some aspects of it, but the turbo so far way from the engine! It would definitely run cooler.

The only thing I can come up with is that the whole exhaust system would be pressurised to the point where any change in exhaust flow at the manifold would be near immediately felt at the other end where the turbo sits.

The thing is, the exhaust is only pressurised while the engine is working. Come off the throttle and the exhaust is going to de-pressurise. Same with the inlet tract going the other way. It's no different to having the snail right next to the block, but the time it takes to re-pressurise when you pick up the throttle is going to be far longer.

It's that part I don't get. Proponents claim there's no response loss, but I can't wrap my head around how that's possible while meeting my understanding of the laws of physics.

If you're drag racing, or have a bit engine with lots of torque, its not an issue but a 350Z owner in the US was using it in AutoCross and said it worked fine. The Camaro is basically a Commodore, though, and the V6 isn't exactly a tyre fryer either.

i can see how the turbo doesn't lose response. the time from when you lift of the throttle to when the turbo stops spooling is going to be a lot longer as there is still 3m or so worth of pressurised exhaust pipe to empty through the turbo. the response from long periods of closed throttle to flooring it again though would be a bit of an issue, however the speed than both exhaust gases and the pressurised air is travelling at isn't exactly slow.

i'm also confused by how the camaro is 'basically a commodore'. while they are similar (built on the same basic platform), they are quite different. for starters the dimensions of wheelbase etc are quite different. also the v6 is a 225kw engine, and the v6 version weighs 60kg less than the v8 version, and because it is less weight over the front wheels it handles better. also the v6 will run mid 14's in stock form, so it isn't exactly slow for a NA 6.

At a guess, i'd say a sts turbo wouldn't really have an advantage over one hanging directly off the manifold on RB or other straight engines. however, as someone said above, it could really help with single turbo setups on V engines, which usually end up having some rather odd piping setups if they mount the turbo in the engine bay. I'm still suprised that they didn't go for a twin turbo though.

At a guess, i'd say a sts turbo wouldn't really have an advantage over one hanging directly off the manifold on RB or other straight engines. however, as someone said above, it could really help with single turbo setups on V engines, which usually end up having some rather odd piping setups if they mount the turbo in the engine bay. I'm still suprised that they didn't go for a twin turbo though.

there is twin turbo STS setups. and i thought i read somewhere that they were going to use a twin setup.

one advantage they have over normal turbo setups is the dramatically cooler temps that the turbos run at, pretty much eliminating the need for an intercooler, which removes some restriction and increases flow. so that would help solve a bit of the problem of long intake piping.

...it doesn't.

in factory form that is. i'd say that once they are finished with it it will do the job. braking wise it might even out brake the gtr (depending on what tyres they have on it)

the best thing i like about this is that they are supplying their own gtr to put around the track, so it will be interesting to see how it's time compares to the nissan time which no-one else seems to be able to replicate.

it would be funny if it was found out that some smart-arse nissan engineers had played around with the gtr to make it go faster without telling any of their bosses.

I am still amazed at the number of people, especially Yanks, who can't distinguish between lag and throttle respone. The indisputable fact is there is no way that a turbine 2 metres away from the exhaust valves added to a compressor that is also a further 2 metres away from the inlet valves can respond as quickly to throttle inputs as one that is 1/20th as far away. If I could be bothered I would do the mathematics and work out exactly how long the delay would be. Needless to say it would be devastating to driver’s the ability to control the handling via the throttle.

On the other hand lag, as in how many rpm is need before the turbo makes boost wouldn’t be affected by the turbo’s location.

Cheers

Gary

in factory form that is. i'd say that once they are finished with it it will do the job. braking wise it might even out brake the gtr (depending on what tyres they have on it)

the best thing i like about this is that they are supplying their own gtr to put around the track, so it will be interesting to see how it's time compares to the nissan time which no-one else seems to be able to replicate.

it would be funny if it was found out that some smart-arse nissan engineers had played around with the gtr to make it go faster without telling any of their bosses.

true, but-

a) the nissan test driver, old mate suzuki, is like god behind the wheel. there would be many professional drivers who couldnt match his skill, hence the reason the time around the ring is questioned.

b) a heavily modified evo could crack the gtr's time, so sure, a heavily modified camaro could probably do it too. you have to understand tho, that the gtr was in stock standard trim. right off the showroom floor.

so what does that prove? that with thousands of dollars worth of tuning, r&d, aftermarket parts, and all other costs involved it can beat a stock standard car around the ring? kinda takes some of the sine off it, doesnt it.

yep it annoys me how response and lag get mixed up... of course your going to have poor response if your off boost... but on boost throttle response is really important... especially in a rwd that needs careful throttle control to steer it

lag with the sts setup would be minimal if turbo selection was conservative but surely response would suck... arse!