SAU Community

Stagea Rb25 Exhaust Questions

910trx

hoping someone can assist me in clarifying some misconceptions and ideas i have regarding exhausts.

I spoke to a local exhaust bloke about getting a new exhaust for my stagea

after some discussion we came to the conclusion that if i can get a dump pipe off flea bay, he can build up an exhaust from scratch out of mild 3 inch w/2 mufflers and highflow cat for around $600.

So first does this sound ok ?

i am after something which is neat and quiet, not loud at all, 2 large mufflers enough to shut it up?

now as far as dump pipes go - the understanding is the r33 and stagea are the same/similar.

i need to know some feed back against some examples i have extracted to ensure these are ok or not worth putting on, or even what is the best out of the bunch.

the exhaust bloke said if you can get stainless go with it because it has better heat handeling properties and less likely to suffer stress from heat. should this mean i look into going for a s/s front pipe as well?

examples of dumps i have found are...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SKYLINE-R32-R33-GT-...p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RB25-Turbo-Dump-Pip...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SKYLINE-R32-R33-R34...id=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R34-...id=p3286.c0.m14

this and a better airfilter will be the only engine mods to this engine. car will remain stock otherwise.

just need some help guys as i dont want to buy something that will not cut it, be useless or my exhaust bloke will cringe at seeing it.

Furthermore are r33 full systems similar to the r33 and is it is worth going a full r33 route and get him to knock it on? or it is a case of yes its possible but not worth doing.

search has helped me a lot but just looking at clarification to what people have done and possibly some input on an exhaust guru if there is one about.

the more you search the more opinions you find :)

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by 910trx

Hi Daniel,

I'm not a guru, but I have been through this once so here are just a couple of things which may or may not be useful...

- if you can get a cat-back system made for $600 and at it is at least 3" and the mufflers are stainless, I say that's a good price. If there's a cat included that's even better. But not all hi-flow cats are the same (cell count, diameter and type - ceramic or metal - are the main factors I think. I have a 5" body ceramic hi-flow wth 3" in and out)

- I got a custom exhaust made to your specifications for my S2, with 2 mufflers and 3". As long as the mufflers are oval types, and not canons (more sound-absorbing material in ovals) then they do a pretty reasonable job of keeping it quiet. Mine's still louder than stock though, and has a bit of drone - watch out for drone! I think though, that with a completely straight-through system (which mine is) and a big dump pipe and cat', some drone is unavoidable.

As has been discussed in the exhaust thread(s) the skyline exhausts are different and need modification/lengthening. I reckon go for a custom-made exhaust for the best fit/ground clearance (which quickly becomes a problem with a big cat and 3"+ pipe when you want to lower the whole lot).

Dump pipes - I wouldn't try to fit anything that wasn't stagea-specific myself as it would likely require modification (they are different - even S1 to S2), so I'd leave that to an exhaust shop. However there are a few stagea-specific pipes around. I know of one guy in Adelaide who makes split pipes to fit S1 and S2 stagea (he made my S2 pipe).

good luck...

David

Edited by DaveB

Grab the JustJap Dump/Front combo in stainless, then if need be get the cat side re shaped. Make sure the Mufflers are good quality( i like magnaflow), and the cat is minimum 3"

I have an R32GTST split dump pipe on my Stagea S1 auto. It did have an R33GTST split dump on it before I changed to the better design. That was a Performance Metalcraft split dump that came off the R32GTST race car, it was no longer needed when I put the RB31DET in it. The R33GTST split dump then went on to the R33GTST. Before I had it on the Stagea for a short time it was on an R34GTT. So my personal experience has been swapping split dumps between R32, R33, R34 and Stagea has not been a problem.

As for exhaust, my Stagea S1 auto has an R32GTR 3.25" Nismo exhaust on it suitably extended (around 100 mm) by Liverpool Exhaust. That particular exhaust came off the R32GTST and was replaced by a Trust Titanium exhaust designed for an R33GTR that came off an R34GTT. The brackets on the exhausts (R32/33/Stagea) are all different, but no big deal for any decent exhaust shop to fix.

Aren't I a good little recycler :):blink::P

Cheers

Gary

Hi Mate

saw your wtb ad and went off to do some research, as I recently got a couple of catback systems for Stageas in but I'm unsure if they're for series 1 or series 2. The only difference I can see between a series 1 and 2 is that the piping off the muffler is a bit longer on the series 2 - I assume to account for the fact that the bumper comes down a bit more vertically on the series 2 vs the series 1. From what I can tell, the hangers are the same and the rest of the system are all identical between the s1 and 2.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers Aaron

Like most I shopped around to get what I wanted.

A JJ Bellmouth dump, a 3" X Force Hi Flo Cat, and from GC Mufflers a 3" cat back. Compact and not too quiet, just a hint og grunt. All up $900.

Hi

STAGEA S 1

I have a 3"mild steel split dump pipe from BOSimporting (DSFKY3233SMS) fitted with no modification and a 3"Hi flow cat (CAT30BBU) a second hand muffler (JAZMA) right at the back and a length of 3" stainless tying it all together in the middle. So the only restriction I have is the cat as the muffler is 3 1/4" straight through and it is not very loud and there is no drone in fact when I am on it the engine makes more noise than the exhaust. The fact that I have two 90deg mandrel bends between the rear axle and the muffler might have something to do with it as well.

Phil

I'm about to fit a 3" R33 GT-R Nismo system to my S1 (with suitable length alterations). See my sig for the other bits - note that the dump/cat mate up just fine to the factory cat-back system.

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that the majority of dump pipe fitment issues seem to have involved the "split font/dump" type dump pipes (the kind which has two tubes which run next to one another - the larger exhaust/turbine tube, and the smaller wastegate/bypass tube which merges back with the main tube before the catalytic converter), and these are usually from the bypass tube fouling the body somewhere, or insufficient bend at the end of the dump tube to clear the floor (apparently the floor of 4wd skylines/stageas protrudes lower around the passenger footwell to accommodate the front diff... or something like that?).

You may be lucky that you get yours to fit first try... or you may have my kind of luck, where something off the shelf will not fit in place of the stock stagea item and thus will not accommodate a cat-back exhaust in the stock position... hence why I chose to get something custom-made to guarantee it would fit.

As SK says almost any split dump will fit and if you can get the rest custom made for $600 that's a very good price. In NZ we don't need cats but if you need one you can either pay magabucks for a high performance one or just knock the guts out of a cheap one.

Hi Mate

saw your wtb ad and went off to do some research, as I recently got a couple of catback systems for Stageas in but I'm unsure if they're for series 1 or series 2. The only difference I can see between a series 1 and 2 is that the piping off the muffler is a bit longer on the series 2 - I assume to account for the fact that the bumper comes down a bit more vertically on the series 2 vs the series 1. From what I can tell, the hangers are the same and the rest of the system are all identical between the s1 and 2.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers Aaron

I have a series 1 cat back exhaust in my series 2. It bolted up fine. Everything lined up.

About to swap from a Fujitsubo Legus R to a HKS silent. I want a bit more noise 89db verse 92db. Will also suit the new bigger turbo.

Sorry guys i should have clearly specified that i have a series 2 rs4

does all the above advice still apply?

i do however thank you for the great responses.

To be honest i am not quite sure what mufflers or tip i will be getting. no offence to the locals here (regional queensland) they are not as switched on and enthusiastic as people who i have dealt with in the past from the city where i was originally. as soon as i mention import ot turbo, noses are generally turned up and all desire to "assist" is gone.

Hence why i am trying to get the myths sorted out and understand things better b4 forking over cash to someone who is willing to play it by ear and have no real direction.

Also Darrin i have PMed you regarding your soon to be disused fujitsbo exhaust :D

ive looked at getting a premade exhaust off the just jap site but compared to what i have been quoted, these are a bit more that what i expected.

the jjr dump/front pipe looks the goods though - just to clarify this goes from turbo to the stock cat?

more questions sorry :P

Edit: this is the dump i need yeah?

jjrdumpfrontrb-s.jpg

Edited by 910trx

I have an R32GTST split dump pipe on my Stagea S1 auto. It did have an R33GTST split dump on it before I changed to the better design. That was a Performance Metalcraft split dump that came off the R32GTST race car, it was no longer needed when I put the RB31DET in it. The R33GTST split dump then went on to the R33GTST. Before I had it on the Stagea for a short time it was on an R34GTT. So my personal experience has been swapping split dumps between R32, R33, R34 and Stagea has not been a problem.

As for exhaust, my Stagea S1 auto has an R32GTR 3.25" Nismo exhaust on it suitably extended (around 100 mm) by Liverpool Exhaust. That particular exhaust came off the R32GTST and was replaced by a Trust Titanium exhaust designed for an R33GTR that came off an R34GTT. The brackets on the exhausts (R32/33/Stagea) are all different, but no big deal for any decent exhaust shop to fix.

Aren't I a good little recycler :banana::P:yes:

Cheers

Gary

do you sit on street corners playing the shell game??

There is a Stagea specific front pipe on justjap. But if any r33- front/dump pipes will fit how about this one?

jjrsplitdumprb-s.jpg See details JJR Stainless Split Dump & Front Pipe - Nissan Skyline

Direct Fit - Nissan Skyline R32/R33 GTS-T

Our price: AUD 269.00 Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Or will the wastegate pipe get in the way of something?

CHeers-

Don't know about that JJR unit but most of the cheap stainless exhaust bits such as manifolds are cr*p.

As for the split dump fouling the body or whatever there's nothing you can't fix with a slight adjustment with a big enough hammer or lever or gas set.

As SK says almost any split dump will fit and if you can get the rest custom made for $600 that's a very good price. In NZ we don't need cats but if you need one you can either pay magabucks for a high performance one or just knock the guts out of a cheap one.

Catch is over here if you're caught with a gutted cat you're $10,000 in the red with the authorities.

Catch is over here if you're caught with a gutted cat you're $10,000 in the red with the authorities.

I thought a fine that large was for a workshop that was fitting decat pipes or punched out cats. For an individual, the fine is a lot smaller, im sure.

i'm wanting to install a decent cat LOL

if you get caught by the epa its a mega fine, and i mean MEGA, but considering how many unburnt hydrocarbons my other car freely disperses into the atmosphere, a cat will go a long way to reducing my carbon and environmental footprint on a daily basis.