SAU Community

Racepace Built R34 Gtr Nur Rb28 V-cam

Matt, worry less and enjoy more. There are plenty of cheap sh1theaps you can but with warranties, airbags, ESP etc etc etc (I've got one!) and you can drive them daily without concern. You'll drive happy knowing you've got your beatiful sports car in the garage waiting for the right moment. As for the R35, well I'd rather yours personally. There is so much more good than bad in what you've done.

Hi guys, (Sheriff Wan; elrodeo666)

I anticipated my comment about 'regretting not buying a R35 instead' would ruffle some feathers. I guess I have not had the chance to learn to unleash the full potential of what I have built yet. YES, I concede that I really NEED to take it for a 'proper' drive, or at least be a passenger with a competent driver to see what the car actually is capable of.

Also, please let me clarify that I am not at all disappointed at the way the R34 has turned out. Far from it, its the most unique and best damn car I have ever owned and I don't think I will trade it for anything else for a long while.

I guess I am just lamenting on the fact the performance of a heavily mod R34 is not as easily accessible to the average Joe driver like myself, as compared to a R35. The R35 is like 'point and shoot' and you are already going at warp speed. I have been practising a bit to launch my car properly and I guess I can hook it real right maybe once or twice in half a dozen attempts. Other times, it bogs, or I am worried that I will fry the Nismo clutch. Then there are those additional little gripes I have about an 'old' car, like those faded rubber seals, and annoying creaks and rattles from the interior plastics and trims, which feel so flimsy Then there is the warranty issue with all these aftermarket parts, or more accurately, lack of warranty because everything was imported through a private importer. What if the V Cam control module malfunctions? etc. The only comforting thing is at least I know the engine has been screwed together properly by Racepace. Also, going fast on twisty roads without the safety blanket of driver's aids such as traction control, anti skid, electronic brake force distribution etc can be quite disconcerting. Lastly, the amount of soot and fumes that exit the exhaust necessitates a clean or polish of my white bumper every time, otherwise a few days of leaving the fuel residue would result in a permanently yellow bumper. I think this is also wearing me out a bit. I thought the V Cam would make the engine burn cleaner, unfortunately it has not one iota of differnece compared to my original non V Cam RB.

I can understand why some journos have labelled the R35 soul-less, beacuse its so easy to drive; then I guess my mod R34 most definitely has 'soul', I just don't know if its the 'Devil' lurking underneath. ;)

Cheers

Matt

there is so little that can be added to this thread really... it kinda has everything anyone on this forum could ever dream of (including the house :))

few things though

- Detail at Final Inspection. Think of Damian as the 'Ben' of the RB26 world. Won't find a better detailer this side of the hemisphere. A couple layers of Final Inspection 'Seal', topped perhaps with some Zymol Royale ($18K wax) and after a drive, you'll just have to high pressure rinse, and all that soot/dust will just fall off the rear bumper. Trust me, Damian is as pedantic about detailing as Ben is about GTR's.

- If you're worried about soot/richness, thought about E85? Runs very clean. And E85 on this setup? If you're scared now..... :)

I know what you mean about learning to push the car, worrying about things braking, worrying about smacking it into something without the electronic aids, etc. But i would HIGHLY recommend a Driver Dynamics track day. I just did my 2nd one at Sandown on Sunday and basically you get about 20mins track time per hour (a lot of time) and you can choose to either a) go out alone b) go out with an instructor c) go out with the instructor driving and you passenger. The instructors are very experienced, lots of race/rally time between them all and i gave my car to an instructor to drive 1 session as well... dear son of rajab, at his claimed "50%" effort you quickly realise how much more capable the car is than we would otherwise perhaps give it credit for. And exponentially more so with your GTR. Check out the Driver Dynamics website, and their calendar.... then let me know what day you're going so i can come and watch and steal a passenger lap :D

I can fully understand about being concerned with testing the limits of your car... i'm concerned with my measly 285rwkw GTT! let alone the power you have. But you gotta have faith in the setup. You have literally the best of everything, and perhaps the most important aspect, PLENTY of braking and stopping power. The AD07's were an outstanding tyre, and i would go AD08's in a heartbeat if i had the $500 a corner budget needed to get them. Fantastic, fantastic tyre.

A phenomenal, phenomenal GTR mate. You have left absolutely nothing to chance, and with a bit of time behind the wheel on a track, and a bit of instruction, i'm sure you'll come to realise the 34 was the correct decision over the 35.

Truly one of the best world wide. Congratulations :D

oh, don't worry about this launching business. This car is meant to go, stop and turn.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I really get a lot of satisfaction sharing my experience with everyone.

I hope to feature the car in a performance automotive magazine at some stage, perhaps High performance imports; Autosalon magazine or Hot4s. Does anyone have connection? Please let me know.

Cheers

Matt

PM 2RISMO... he's with Zoom but they're run by the same media company as HPI I believe... either way he will know who you should speak to

Let us know if your heading out for a drive and want some company:) not sure my POS can keep up tho;)

The neat thing about the vents is that there are rain channels built in to drain moisture and rain water. The Vent outlet are angled in such a way that water does not really escape into the engine bay even when I am at the car wash

Any chance of a close up pic please to explain this?

Detailed photos of trick vent rain channels at your request sir....

Shot taken at almost vertical angle to the vent, you cannot see the opening, therefore rain water cannot enter the engine bay directly when car is stationary. This does not matter if car is travelling at speed obviously:

dscf0082v.jpg

Shot taken at slight angle, now you see the vent opening

dscf0083b.jpg

You can see the scoop under the vent opening to catch and drain water:

dscf0081v.jpg

More detailed shots of the scoop under the vent opening:

You can see that the scoop is in fact created by a second layer of carbon fibre underneath the vent. The scoop has channels which directs water inbetween the top and base layer of carbon all the way to drain holes at the leading edge of the bonnet.

dscf0080f.jpg

dscf0079g.jpg

dscf0078e.jpg

Man, the Nismo guys are clever, and think of absolutely everything! I hope this helps N1GTR.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, that dyno chart is amazing mate - the curve is identical to my 32, but with an extra 100kw atw! Simply incredible, I can only imagine the surge when you put your foot down. No wonder you're taking your time getting used to it before taking it for a proper hard drive - that kind of power is not to be taken lightly :happy:

One question for you - how are you finding the Yokohama AD08? With 100kw less than you, I find my car searching for traction often enough - do the AD08 get the power down to the ground well?

Congrats on such a gorgeous car and amazing result, 100% pur car pr0n. Ben really is a master of his trade.

Cheers

Aaron