SAU Community

Why Do Rotaries Suck?

KezR33

Oh dear. The initial conclusion to this thread was dicided a while ago. It simply came down to an 'opinion' on what constitutes a rotaries combustion cycle. If you beleive that a a rotoaries combustion cycle is one combustion from each rotor and turning the essentric shaft one full turn then it is a 1.3L (my opinion) or if you beleive that the rotaries cycle is comprised of 3 combustion cycles from each rotor and turning the essentric shaft 3 full times then you beleive it is a 3.9L. In my hypothesis and conclusion I went into alot more detail including strokes, angles and capacities etc. Not going to re-state. Its just new people wanting to re-argue said points and stir the fieces back up again.

Whilst we share the same opinion with regards to rotary capacity...I reckon digging up the thread from a few weeks ago is somewhat hypocritical of what you're saying at the end there :P

Happy Birthday rotary thread. Today you turn 50 and we salute. You have brought us good times and bad times; winners and losers; ragers and dedicated followers. You have taught us the ways of Wankel. May your life be free of piston engine comparison. May your spirit burn on like the oil in a rotor combustion chamber. May your mystery and enigma continue to dazzle the minds of mere mortals.

Love always,

Birds.

f**k what have you all managed 50 pages only talking about chicken cookers??

i dont mind rotors . used in the right aplacations they are fairly good . kinda like a small light 125cc two stroke bike can really hold its own in the right circumstances

the main thing wrong with rotors is all the idiots that think they are the be all and end all of everything. rb30s are getting the same way . yeah what RIPS has done is f**kin off the hook and i love it . its just sad when you see numb nuts out the drags with blah blah 300+kw rb30 in a laurel that is slammed and has nearly 45degrees of camber on the back wheels that goes home on the trailer but managed a 16 sec next week they all talking bout this "beast" that ate all the gtr's

sold my skyline to get back in a rotor *puts flame suit one* i missed my capella 13b monster bridge and 3rd gear donuts too much, i am not biased i love all forms of cars, i had great times in my skyline but the way the power is delivered in a rotor is a great feeling

• 2 months later...

not entirely true bozodos. You only need to premix your fuel if you have taken the oil metering pump off the engine.

And any rotary is no different to a GTR with regards to servicing. Change the oil and filter at regularly intervals. When you change the plugs use a quality plug and you will be right. I dont even warm up my rotor, nor the RB26 that sits next to it in the garage. We simply drive both cars sensibly till they are at temp and drive them appropriately before we switch them off.

A lot of people will argue that seals are an issue on rotaries..... sure they may well be, but the number of engines i pulled down when i worked at Advan that had spun bearings puts RB26's well on par with the rotary engine when it comes to failures :)

Edited by ido09s