SAU Community

Why Do Rotaries Suck?

KezR33

They don't suck. Trust me. Had an 03' RX8 6 speed prior to the Skyline, and apart from the afformentioned reasons, they are a great engine. I was getting 9/10L/100km on highawy runs, but like any car if you abuse it you pay the price (anywhere up to 18L/100km around town for me :P ). The oil thing never bothered me, I checked it every time I filled up, and over the 5000km serice interval i'd use a litre or usually less depending on driving, you don't stop on the side of the road every 100 metres.... So 5 litres would get me 5000km including the service. No, they're not hell-torquey, but the power is something else to experience. 170 odd FWKW at 9,400rpm? FUN! And it's a different feel, very smooth and consistent compared to any other engine, and keeps coming from 4k all the way to redline. Plus the RX8's have a 2 stage manifold, so from 7k onwards it's a very different engine, power and sound wise. So for me they're a :( Don't pay it out till' you've driven one. :)

They don't suck. Trust me. Had an 03' RX8 6 speed prior to the Skyline, and apart from the afformentioned reasons, they are a great engine. I was getting 9/10L/100km on highawy runs, but like any car if you abuse it you pay the price (anywhere up to 18L/100km around town for me :P ). The oil thing never bothered me, I checked it every time I filled up, and over the 5000km serice interval i'd use a litre or usually less depending on driving, you don't stop on the side of the road every 100 metres.... So 5 litres would get me 5000km including the service. No, they're not hell-torquey, but the power is something else to experience. 170 odd FWKW at 9,400rpm? FUN! And it's a different feel, very smooth and consistent compared to any other engine, and keeps coming from 4k all the way to redline. Plus the RX8's have a 2 stage manifold, so from 7k onwards it's a very different engine, power and sound wise. So for me they're a :( Don't pay it out till' you've driven one. :)

Post in rotary thread, apex seals out

I blew over 10 diffs, 3 gearboxes, a clutch, and 2 axles. Alternator died, steering became loose, suspension started leaking, engine mount broke, crossmember bent, oil lines split. Just some of the things that broke on my rx.

However, one engine, no leaks, no cracked apex seals. 10,000rpm all day long.

Yeah shit engines, I would never rely on one.

Edit: Period of 4 years.

---

Wasteland. >>>

Edited by GTRPowa