SAU Community

Why Do Rotaries Suck?

KezR33

haha [200] you REALLY are a moron, but then you've proved that in numerous threads with your laughable troll attempts :)

I meant moreso the location of the plugs on a 13B and the cramped engine bay in general (with stock piping, airbox etc on), I've had plenty of lols watching my mate do it on his Series 5.

This thread will never die Birds. It'll haunt you for the rest of your life. Mwuah ha ha ha! :)

Just like the gearbox in your Ranger will haunt you for the rest of your life :3some:

haha [200] you REALLY are a moron, but then you've proved that in numerous threads with your laughable troll attempts :D

I meant moreso the location of the plugs on a 13B and the cramped engine bay in general (with stock piping, airbox etc on), I've had plenty of lols watching my mate do it on his Series 5.

I don't care what you think.

I could quote every single post you've made in this thread to show just how pathetic you really are and the lack of knowledge you have on the subject. But I really do have better things to do than to waste my time on people like you that jump on the first bandwagon to bag such a unique motor.

:)

no this is your posting style in nearly every General Automotive thread, when do you EVER have anything meaningful to contribute?

having an opposing opinion does not denote a lack of knowledge, and if you re-read the first post this is a thread about WHY ROTARIES SUCK.

At least I can be bothered to tell it how it is.

People don't read the questions, people don't have an educated opinion - they take what their mates say as gospel so therefore must be true. They give replies and answers without having any knowledge on the subject or it is so left field that I honestly do not know why they bother posting. It seems to happen quite a lot on this forum, maybe skyline owners think they know everything.

There is no need to point out the thread title, I can read, write and comprehend without any difficulties - feel free to send me a PM if you need any assistance with any of those basic skills, I am happy to help, assist and mentor you - just let me clear out my inbox first.

The first post did not say anything negative towards them.

a forum is a place for expressions of opinions whether educated or not, also bearing in mind that not all of us care about say the advanced physics concepts bandied around herein.

If i see a rotary powered car that smokes like a chimney, consumes oil, and uses over 12L/100 STOCK, I'm going to call it as such. I realise that they are lightweight and powerful, yet they have their own signifigant drawbacks which precludes them from being a more mainstream car.

The net amount of your contributions generally are to either say other people don't know what they are talking about, or to pick on another poster.

Given that this is a supposedly serious discussion sub forum, you're either incredibly arrogant, or dead set on trolling for trolling's sake.

:):P

If thats the case then maybe you should stop crying when someone calls you an idiot and saying how it is when you do not have an educated opinion on the topic.

I have cleared out my inbox, awaiting your PM regarding my previous post.

Anyway, i'm not going to waste anymore of my time telling you how much of a dumb idiot you really are.

Like I said, do you have ANYTHING to offer other than pathetic insults?

You can hardly use a supposed lack of comprehension skills against me, perhaps you should get some remedial lessons for yourself?

You pay out other people yet don't bother putting forward any opinion of your own? THAT is trolling! You also have a proven record of doing this, you must be a really popular guy IRL.

You seriously are a f**king idiot, the Chief Wiggum avatar is quite fitting.

well you DID waste your time by quoting yourself and reposting,

You have to admit, you have made quite a name for yourself by this kind of petty behaviour, according to you, you are not allowed to own an opinion unless you have directly experienced or own the product of choice!

Going by this logic, I should for example not comment on someone buying an Ipad (overpriced POS) because I've never used one, nor do I already own one, since all other opinions are baseless and misinformed. LOL.

Impeccable logic there.... not!

200 seriously dude i've said it before STFU!!

if you dont have anything constructive to say, and by that i dont mean criticising others, then just STFU.

Now on topic, i'm tossing up between a 34gtr and s8 bathurst R rx7 for my next set of wheels.

Took the rx7 for a spin the other week. I can see the appeal. The car itself its tiny and light weight, and tbh you can feel why, if the car was the weight of a 34 it wouldnt move nearly as quick. but as it is, its small, light, and nimble. if your used to piston engines then you find that you change gear as normal and are left wondering what all the fuss is about, then you realise you shifted about 6k rpm too early. so you do it again but this time shift closer to redline.

you end up with a long linear progressive pull that just keeps going. you feel each and every bump and crack in the road, but it handles like a dream. your sat almost on the floor and it seems like the headlights pop up above your head level. and the cockpit has a really nice cosy aircraft feel to it. its impractical, but you'd happily adjust to it if you chose to buy it.

But the car does get skittish on occasion and milking power out of them does have some risks and costs associated with it, a little bit beyond the cost of a piston engined car.

i'd say they're a perfect car if you'd like to track them without the need to be super competitive, like the mx5. yes you can make both of these cars monsters on the track, but the price tag associated with it might well spoil the appeal it had in the first place.

As for the GTR, as both cars were unmodded it had the same pulling power, even if it didnt have the same rev limit. it was easier to get into and out of, but wasnt as fun to interact with when not moving. but when moving, despite being heavier the steering felt agile and tight, and you can feel that it will take very little work to get a noticable increase in power out.

that said i'm not sure i'd want to track it every chance i got. maybe once every now and then. but as a daily i think it could do a really nice job.

So to answer the question. Rotaries dont suck, they have an appeal all of their own that a piston engine cant emulate. they perfectly complement a light well handling body to make a great weekend track car.

I fail to see how people can call rotor's unreliable and then compare them with a GTR lol

As i have said previously, i have seen more broken oil pumps and spun bearings on RB26's than i have broken apex seals :P

Messiah - what sort of mods did you compare on both cars? and what was your desired result you were hoping for? hp figure? 1/4 mile et?

I wouldnt say that the risk is any higher on a rotor than an RB26. A mate fo mine owns BLOJOE and he absolutely rapes that engine every time he takes it out. Lino and the guys at Maztech have seen the way Joe drives and are absolutely astounded that the engine is still alive!

I guess it all comes down to maintenance

Edited by ido09s

I think theres a general mis conception of rotaries. Everyone says their unreliable and always blow but at the end of the day I think it comes down to the quality of the build and how its looked after. If you constantly cane it while its cold, dont service it often and dont let it cool down after a caning then they can tend to die pretty quickly. Perhaps the tolerance range is a bit less than piston engines but quite a few last well over 100 000kms with good compression. On the fuel drinking side of things, they do drink quite a bit, but no more than a V8 imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe how long you guys crapped on about the same thing to try and get a consensus.

I'm not debating this capacity is 1.3 displacement is 3.9. it behaves like a 2.6 4stoke and it's more like a 6stroke. you have 30+ pages the same repetitive thing. if you filled it with liquid you would not get any more than 1.3 litres in all chambers.

mind you a gtr on 20lbs is the equivielent of a 7 litre im not going to start calling it that.

I'll tell you why rotaries suck. they demolish petrol. you have to care for the car. warm it up or drive slowly for a while.

After owning one i now treat all cars with more respect in terms of engine and gearbox heating and wait for metal too expand before pushing them.

They blow steam/smoke like crazy. until they warm up. if your past a 5,000k service.

You have to redline it all the time and people will think your a hoon.

I'm sure most americans hate that the rx8 keeps winning daytona. against their precious camaro.

I don't mind skylines i'm just not into 4wd's. and their engine only last 100,000 according to a hpi article i read.

I have a nissan with a vq (renault) engine.

My R32 GTR makes 300awkW with 160k kms on it. It's been like that for well over 5 years and since 112,000kms, at the least (as far back as I can trace it). The engines are durable if looked after. Just like rotaries are durable if there's no detonation around and they are looked after. :)