SAU Community

Jacking Up Ur Car

kikutaknight

I've seen pictures of people with their cars jacked up two wheels at a time with the jack somewhere in the middle...

also cars jacked up from somewhere other than that little bit on the side made for those dodgey little car jacks.

i've looked around on the bottom of my car but can't figure out exactly where people are putting these jacks. can anyone upload pictures or something for me? :D 

would be appreciated...zorz.

I've seen pictures of people with their cars jacked up two wheels at a time with the jack somewhere in the middle...

also cars jacked up from somewhere other than that little bit on the side made for those dodgey little car jacks.

i've looked around on the bottom of my car but can't figure out exactly where people are putting these jacks. can anyone upload pictures or something for me? :P 

would be appreciated...zorz.

Check out this thread. http://www.ehow.com/video_4941952_put-jack...er-vehicle.html

Stay safe.

GW

That vid misses quite a few vital safety aspects, like making sure the non-raised wheels are chocked properly for one...

Firstly, never ever ever try and use a sill jack on any other part of the car other than the proper jacking points. As Bard said, a road car is not strong enough to do this and you will either destroy the jack or your car. Heck, if your lucky, maybe even both!

If you want the front lifted then use the centre of the cross member - not the sump! Always use jack stands and try to keep them as close to the suspension pick up points as practicle as possible. The control arms used in that vid are a good idea, although I cant say using the edge of them is that bright. Personally I would use a bit of wood between the jack stand and the control arm (steel on steel is asking for trouble IMO) then you can use the whole control arm not just the edge.

For the rear, try putting the jack under the diff housing. Just be aware that the car will be VERY unstable as it is being jacked and can rock from side to side.

It should go without saying that safety should always come first. Never get under a car that is supported by a jack, always make sure the car is on level ground before raising it at all, and try to keep bystanders right the f**k away. One other person as a spotter is a good idea, but that should be it. Always fully chock any wheels that are to remain on the ground. Also, try not to open any doors on a car that is supported by a jack. Especially on 2 door cars, this can really upset the balance of the vehicle. Lastly, as I said before, its always a good idea to use wood between any steel jack or jack stands and the car. Apart from adding a "crush" factor that helps with stability, the friction coefficient is much higher making it more stable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+3 for the diff or x-member/rad support :laugh:

also i use the OEM jack on one of the sides so if a stand does fail the car wont fall all the way 2 the ground.

also never use bricks 2 suport a car i made that mistake once and i will never do that again :)

spare wheels and tyres are really good for getting a car up off the ground, if your doing something that doesnt require removing any of the wheels you can simply jack it up via the diff/xmember and chuck a spare wheel and tyre under each wheel, 2 if you need to go really high. if the wheels need to come off you can put the wheels and tyres under the chassis rails, make sure you have the car sitting on 4 points before you get under there and dont have the front supports too far back, the motor is the heaviest part.

car ramps are good 4 doing work on a car when u don't need 2 take off the wheels and also there is no ramp solution 4 raising the whole car unless u make some.

4 me im restricted when it comes 2 space so im stuck with a trolly jack and axle stands (modified 4 skyline)

with the height of the average skyline ramps would need to be about 8 feet long to be much good to ya

unless you remove the front bar or something????????

well all u do is wedge a thick bit of wood in there to extend the length

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Yeah i get what you mean. Mine thought i wouldnt mind being a bit quieter overall as well as have the drone taken out is more what i was trying to say. Im going to start with a mid muffler, and go from there 
    • I'm struggling with a similar issue on an RB26. Make sure you know whether it's volume or resonance. Mine seemed louder when cruising compared to at idle. I downloaded a decibel meter for my phone. Take my less than scientific results with a couple grains of salt, but the decibels were the same at idle and at cruise. Mine seems to be a resonance problem. At 2500-3500 rpm, the sound is different and "louder" to my ear. I think it's vibration from the pipe, the car body, the floor or something creating tone. Anyway, consider that it may not be strictly a volume problem.
    • Does this count as a time trial as well? I got all gold in the master super licence (1 lap time trial) and received a McLaren MP4/4 for my trouble.  If anyone else has done this, did you ride the wall right around the first long right hander at Lake Louise snow track to get gold? I couldn't do it any other way... best I could do without riding the was was within 2 tenths of the gold time.
    • I definitely get the low power, sporty car to drive to smash gears but not be doing eleventy million miles an hour! It makes all the normal drives fun!   Rev match tune sounds like the funs! I didn't know the NC had a DBW throttle!   As for me, still have the Skyline, it still has the Barra in it. It's been pushed to the side of the workshop at the moment. Pretty much waiting on me finishing the wiring, and dropping new fuel lines in. Got myself an ACDC Tig end of last year so been teaching myself TIG welding to build a few things for the Skyline. The missus wrote off her GTB liberty at the end of last year, and got it back on salvage rights stupid cheap. It's also still registered, so will mean easier for me to take to the track already done most of the panel damage, just playing "clear the workshop" to make space to pull the motor and box out, fix some oil leaks, replace the clutch, and replace a few minor broken things.  Also got a Lathe at the start of the year, which is adding to the annoyance of no space, which is another reason I'm trying to build things to get more space, to get the Lathe back in a final home for it. It's a BIG lathe, can turn a 355mm diameter, and 1metre between centres... Got it at a steal! So between it and the TIG and old MIG welder, I'll be fabbing some fun little shit up But we've had a lot of shit stuff happening at home, so it's slow going getting things done. But one step at a time!
    • I love Catalunya.  Got a 1:54.632. The AMG is a hoot.