SAU Community

Rezz`s Photo Diary - Discussion Thread...

Rezz

After what Redback suggested about seperate threads for the "Photo Diary" and and "Comments", I thought it might be a good idea...

So this thread is solely dedicated to ANYTHING even remotely connected with Japan, or it`s car industry or scene. Fire away with the questions, and if Dave and DaiOni can help out with their expertise in this area, that`d be great.

Cheers,

/Rezz

...oh, PranK? Could we sticky this one too?

Hi Rezz....

From what you have seen and heard in Japan, do you think that there will ever be another "Skyline" series....

I'm guessing the revelation of the fact there might not be another GTR has pushed the prices of the R33 and R34 price's up?? is that true??

cheer's

Lawrence

Hi Rezz....

From what you have seen and heard in Japan, do you think that there will ever be another "Skyline" series....

I'm guessing the revelation of the fact there might not be another GTR has pushed the prices of the R33 and R34 price's up?? is that true??

cheer's

Lawrence

I`m pretty sure the Skyline will continue on through V36, 37 ,38... but whether it`s ever going to emulate the R31 - 34 series again I don`t know. I hope so, because at the Nismo Festival, the R32s and 34s ruled, there was hardly any kind of enthusiasm for the V35!

I like your second question... I agree. There MIGHT NOT be another GT-R for the forseeable future. Carlos Ghosn has pretty much put it on the backburner, and when Car Company CEOs do that, we all know that most of the time it doesn`t go any further. Remember the Nissan Mid-4?

Hang on to your R32 -34 GT-Rs!!!

Yep. I`ll be at the TAS on the 10th with a whole bunch of other guys (foreigners).

I probably won`t be going back to Australia for quite some time.... not for at least another 5 years.

Whats your clostest Drift Track? Aaaah Tsukuba? Sorry man, I`m in Kobe, and I`ve never been to Gunma. In fact I`d just look on the Internet to find the clostest track... probably what you`ve already done?

Good idea - split the discussion from the photo diary, kinda helps to keep everything organised. I wouldn't consider myself an expert on Japan, but I've been living here for five years so I know a fair bit, so fire away with questions and I'm sure between myself, Rezz, DaiOni, Sentric Dancer and the other Japan residents we can answer it...

Unfortunately I've also never been to Gunma, so I don't know the specific location of any drift tracks. I will say that there are lots and lots of small "local" circuits (varying in size/quality) dotted around the country. Some might advertise in local car mags, or even have a homepage, but many won't. The best way to discover where they are is through word of mouth. I have a small circuit about 8KM from my house, hidden away in the mountains, the only reason I knew it was there was because a friend recommended I check it out. It's small (but getting better), the facilities aren't up to much either, but there's regular meets and it's cheap to join and race...

Rezz, just wondering do you have a car? is it a drifter?

I *had* a car... a 1988 Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed 2.5DT to be exact... not much of a drifter! I sent it to Australia 3 weeks ago.

Actually, I buy up cars here and drive them around a bit then send them to my brother in Australia, he then sells them. Very low volume stuff, maybe 1 every two months.

Next car on the list is an AE86 Trueno GT-Apex, although this one we might buy unregistered to save a bit of money.

A teacher I used to know did the exact same thing - buy a car, drive it here for one year and then ship it back to Australia and sell it on. I was thinking of doing something similar (shipping back to the UK) but I was told that you needed to drive the car for a whole year before it could be exported? Is that right?

Pajero's can be brought relatively cheaply here, and then sold in England for a lot more (even after figuring in shipping costs...)

Hey Rezz,

Cant recommend the best time of the year for an Aussie touro to visit Japan and see some drift and drags could you?? dont care if its street or strip/track stuff. Web sites would be cool as well if you have some in English.

I was meant to be coming over for TAS 2004 but finds in the end didnt permit :(:(:worship: so i am looking at traveling in the not to distant future :D:D:D

Those GTR conversion Stagea's look awesome. The wife thinks I should get rid of the skyline in favour of a more suitable "family" car, especially with our 2nd son due next march. If I ever give in (not likely! :D ) Then I'd probably go for a stagea and have a front end conversion done. GTR wannabe? Maybe, but it looks damned cool nontheless... :(

Hey Rezz,

Cant recommend the best time of the year for an Aussie touro to visit Japan and see some drift and drags could you?? dont care if its street or strip/track stuff. Web sites would be cool as well if you have some in English.

I was meant to be coming over for TAS 2004 but finds in the end didnt permit :(:(:( so i am looking at traveling in the not to distant future :D:D:D

Personally, I'd say come at the end of the northern summer, right Dave? Around August/September... it's not sooo hot and humid then, and all the ladies are still out with less clothing on. You can catch all the end of summer fireworks festivals, and generally it's a cheaper time to travel there (post August). If you manage to hang around long enough, you can catch all the end of year and start of the new year motorsport events too...

As far as drift goes, the illegal stuff goes all year round (recommended), but you'll have to be more specific about where your going before I can answer your question in more detail regarding the D1 events. Same with the drags, although I do know of one place in Osaka where they have illegal drags practically every night, with Shop tuned cars showing up on the weekend occaisionally.