SAU Community

Brake Pads Cracked After 1 Track Day!

Has anyone had any problems with the brakes?

My R35 with 8400kms had 1 track day 2 months ago at Sandown.

Did pre and post track service with Nissan - all OK.

Been driving it as a daily driver since.

Now gone back for pre track service - they found the brake pads are all cracked up!

They now have to replace pads AND rotors for a price of $12,500 !!!

What the...!!!

I hope this is taken up as a warranty issue. Can't believe myself having to fork out $12,500 after owning the car for 5 months

and just doing ONE trackday. Isn't this a true sportscar???

Don't know what to do now.

Anyone had any experiences?

Thanks.

Edited by maxzugkraft

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did they say was wrong with the rotors? Why can't they just machine them?

I would ask for pics or something, that sounds pretty sus... I don't know of anyone having to replace rotors yet...

Pretty common issue in the US and might not be related to the track day.

Peoples brake pads are cracking after the car sits in the garage. Did you park it with the rotors wet / after a carwash at all?

Now gone back for pre track service - they found the brake pads are all cracked up!

What the...!!!

I hope this is taken up as a warranty issue. Can't believe myself having to fork out $12,500 after owning the car for 5 months

Thanks.

I drove the car carefully only on the road for 3 months, (basically running in conditions), and Nissan saw it for an unrelated issue and told me the pads were cracking!!! They said not to worry about it. I'm sure they all do it...

Jesus H Christ! $12500!?

You can get a set of pads for $1000 (front a rear, say DS2500's - very comparable to stockers)

and a full set of AP rotors for $3200.

Factor in $300 for fitting (max) you're then looking at $4500.

(PM me if you need a contact to buy in Australia)

.. anyway, yeah, why are they replacing rotors too?

Surely they arent still pushing the idea you need to replace rotors AND pads simultaneously, regardless of how good the rotors and/or pads are separately? Goodluck; paying $12500 because you have a set of stuffed pads, or even fatigued rotors, is extremely excessive given the alternatives available (which i believe are better than OEM anyway).

Mate dont even go there with Nissan!!!

Im sure the rotors are fine and if anything may have hairline cracks in them which is totally acceptable with vented disks. you wont need to replace them until they REALLY crack up and you will know when just by looking at them.

Get yourself some Ferodo DS2500's and stick some new brake fluid in it and she will be fine for probably another 10,000kms (unless you do a track day every month).

09GTR had a similar situation and its just because Nissan have to service your car by the BOOK!! they have strick instructions and that means they recommend replacement of everything.

09GTR who has one of the fastest and hardest driven GTR's in Australia had similar kms to you and same overall situation.

We just wacked in some new pads and fluid and good as new, in fact with the new pads better than new!!!

The rotors are good. The Service guy is sending me some photos soon. He is very good and has been liaising with Nissan Australia to have it replaced under warranty. Nissan, as you know, are insisting that the pads need to be replaced along with NEW rotors!!!

I can't believe that a car that is made for the track has shit brakes that do not deliver the goods.

And when they do not deliver, the proud owner, has to fork out $12,500 after every track day or every 8400kms, whichever comes first!!!

Should I sell the car and get GT3?

What's the best brake system for this car? AP racing or Alcons?

If they are not sticking by their warranty, I might as well put better & cheaper brakes in it.

I am pissed off.

I will write to Nissan Japan.

Yeah, I would hold off on your letter til you find out if it's free or not. If it's free, I say go ahead, the service centre is just doing what they're told. If you have to pay money, tell them no thanks and buy some aftermarket pads.

If you want to go all out, buy some rotors and everything else, but it's really not necessary.

Nissan Australian are not used to dealing with high perofrmance cars and they have must have NO pull with Japan - Nissan Aust seems to be full of YES men!!

$170k car and we didnt even get Sat Nav or a reverse camera???????????????? hello???

Alcon would be one of the best but massively expensive!!!

Check out www.gtrblog.com and look at all the different tuner parts etc - heaps of info for you

AP Slotted or Jhook rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads will do nicely.

I put Endless MX72 Pads in my car - they are better than Ferodo but more expensive

Ive owned recent model porsches - they def know how to handle their product and their customers!!!

New GT3 will be amazing - but $300k++?

Edited by White 35

your best bet is just to forget the warranty on the brakes, it shouldnt effect the rest of the warranty just the brake aspects and buy aftermarket pads and rotors,

mine also failed after the first trackday, i have since switched to AP rotors and project mu pads & no further issues at less than a third the cost.

try racer industries on the gold coast

What the...!!!

Thanks.

I had an identical experience after one track day similar milelage. My advice to you is to relax, chuck some Endless MX72 pads, Endless brake fluid, and go and drive your car like it is stolen. Your rotors will be fine, your pads will last longer, your wallet fuller, and life will be beautiful!

Nissan dealers have to tell you this stuff, but it is rubbish. I know because I took the advice above, my car is perfect. As for the warranty issues, it is almost impossible to keep your warranty. Supposedly if you switch VDC off you lose it. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and having owned EVOs, STIs, HSVs, a BMW, Hondas, Toyotas, an Alfa, Fords, and a Leyland I can assure you that Nissan Australia's treatment of their high performance customers is by far the worst I have ever experienced. However, the Brookvale guys are excellent, they just have to play by Nissan Australias rules.

Thanks for all your input guys.

I'll wait and see if the dealer can talk some sense into Nissan Aust.

Maybe the ACCC should be involved.

Fancy having to pay $12,500 after buying a new $173,000 car, when everything has been done by the book (pre/post track service, no mods, normal use, etc).

Imparts a very bitter taste onto the ownership of an otherwise great car, especially when there is no support from the manufacturer.

That will definitely negatively affect brand loyalty & reputation.

the 35s brake pads are pretty shit. our GTR mechanic did one for his training; he looked at the brakes, seem fine until the trainer ask him to pull the pads out and its cracked in half!! best bet is to go aftermarket like ENDLESS. if you think the GTR pads prices are bad how does $30,000 sound for just the pads for the spec v model? yeh sure its carbon ceramic but when its time to replace them.....should i go on??

your best bet is just to forget the warranty on the brakes, it shouldnt effect the rest of the warranty just the brake aspects and buy aftermarket pads and rotors,

mine also failed after the first trackday, i have since switched to AP rotors and project mu pads & no further issues at less than a third the cost.

try racer industries on the gold coast

Listen to Giant guys, his GTR's done something like 10,000 competetive kays, much more than most certainly!

I had exactly the same issue 2 weeks ago, 8,600km and pads are cracked. I told Nissan what I thought but they do not care.

As such, have Ferodo DS2500 pads on order, should pick them up today, will have them fitted next week.

I have done a couple more track days that you but exact same km's and exact same issue.

These are definately the worst performance I have ever got from a set of pads, as such time for aftermarkets.

The rotors will be the AP's after they fail...not if they fail...but when they fail.

Mate,

That is exactly the same issue.

As far as I'm concerned, this is totally SUB-STANDARD!

These pads are not the right specification for this car.

Therefore, Nissan is falsely advertising that this car is a supercar for the track and daily use.

People who buy this car buy it for one reason. They know it is the best car which beats 95% of cars on the track and still be able to drive it to work on Monday.

If the brakes are not capable of doing this then thats false-advertising and deceiving the public.

I am getting my service manager to put this through to them and argue the case.

It should be replaced under warranty!

I hope you will do the same so that Nissan realizes that they need to stand behind their product and this is not just a one off case.

Keep your old pads for evidence, because, if they are cracked (between the compound and the backing plate) that means its not withstanding its intended role. Surface cracks are OK, but not if the crack/come off the backing plates. Low-Spec! Spoke to a friend who is an automotive engineer at Toyota and that's what he said too.

By fitting the Ferodo pads on, you will void your warranty. That would be such a waste of a 3 yr warranty on the brake pads, lines and rotors.

Nissan stipulates that if you change your pads you need to change your rotors too. Otherwise, bye-bye warranty.

So the what's the point of doing all these pre-post track servicing if its not gonna make any difference to how they back up your car?

Keep in touch, mate.

Will let u know what happens too.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Nissan isn't the only manufacturer with similar whinges. Even the famed Porsche brakes fail very quickly with track use, not when tottled around like many are, but when they're actually used hard. Steel or ceramic, they all fail.

Best thing you can do, and it's what most serious Porsche guys do, is to remove the std rotors/pads from the car when you take delivery, fit some real braking hardware, and on-sell the factory rubbish for 75% of new price. That will give you a budget and keep you in brakes for the likely duration you own the car.

Nothing new there, and very simple.