SAU Community

Car Modding

DRD-00F

To Mod or not?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Doof:

Let me put it this way...

I'm an office worker... Yet I've done gearbox CONVERSIONS (Auto to manual)

And a couple of engine swaps now...

I can rip my turbo and exhaust manifold off in under 60 minutes, and give me another 60 and I have it all back on and bolted up tight ready to go.

Inlet manifolds are piss easy too, as are cams, and timings belts.

Cam gears are just as easy.

Piss off the fuel pressure regulator, the factory one will handle it so long as you're keeping the factory rail (It removes one more headache!)

As long as you read the workshop manual for installing things like the timing belt, exhaust mani, inlet mani, and cams, (Tightening patterns etc) then you won't have a single problem.

Everything you have there is direct fit shit.

Quick adjust ment on the ECU to get it starting, and head to the tuner...

Really, for a slow worker, and some head f**ks, that's a 2 weekend job... (4 days)

I would advise, go and buy all new tensioners, idlers and bolts for the timing belt, as well as the bolts that hold the cam caps down, and the exhaust manifold studs, you want the shortened ones.

Also, I have a timing light you are more then welcome to borrow. (Hey, I'll come and spin some spanners with you too if you want!)

But seriously, do it yourself!

Oh, and my experience on the liner ranges from:

Radiator changes, to timing belt changes, to changing heads, to swapping manifolds (inlet and exhaust) to swapping whole motors...

I know my way around an R33 engine bay backwards... In fact... i've spent about 10 times more time in my engine bay then driving the car lately (I just keep changing shit of late)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think a hoist would make it easer, but thats just me doof. knock yr self out having fun..

A hoist makes it a million times easier... But it's all doable on well positioned car stands. (Well positioned so the bastard doesn't fall off!)

hicas lock bar

oil filter relocator would be easier to do from underneath, exhaust stuff

just easier!

Also, I'd do the oil filter relocator from up top...

Once the inlet mani is off (It's coming off anyway) much easier access, plus the cross member and steering rack and engine mounts are in the way from underneath...

And I'd love to see the hicas done from above... :laugh:

DOOF...

I also agree you should do it yourself. You will feel good that you modded your car yourself. I have always done all my mods and work myself on all my cars since i have gained the knowledge. The stuff you are planning to do is fairly easy.

As for the poncams and timing light...If your motor is already timed correctly prior to installation, you can just set the motor on tdc and mark the cas's location. Put everything back exactly how it was after install and away you go...timing will be the same.

If you need any help/advice with it, feel free to ask. Ive done all these mods before.

PS. Boobies ftw!!

Only time you shouldn't give it a go yourself is if you don't have the time or the tools to give it a proper go.

As long as you have those two things then i vote give it a go yourself

doof, do it yourself if you're handy with a spanner.

the way i see it.. 90% of the work i've had done on my car had to be re-done because someone stuffed it up.. so i literally paid for it twice

so if that's the case (as it more often than not, is) why not do it yourself hten take it to a mechanic if you stuff it or get stuck lol

plus you'll feel good about it

If you're willing to do a house call to Hornsby then I just might give you a call some time :D

With any luck though, it should all work out all good but who knows!

Yeah no worries, if you get stuck with anything i'm willing to give you a hand. Just drop me a pm. I work near hornsby anyways at suzitech in thornleigh. But from what knowledge you say you have, i'm sure you'll be fine.

If you do the Hicas yourself you can borrow my 30mm spanner. I did the project myself only to find that I didn't have a spanner and the adjustable spanner wouldn't fit - was $62 bucks at auto one!

Let me know if you need it.

Only time you shouldn't give it a go yourself is if you don't have the time or the tools to give it a proper go.

As long as you have those two things then i vote give it a go yourself

Quoted for truth!

lol cass... wtf have YOU modded on YOUR car? :)

You're an electrician and I made that rear light for you :)

Also, I'll look at my socket sizes Pezzy, I don't think mine do go up to 30! :)

lol cass... wtf have YOU modded on YOUR car? :(

You're an electrician and I made that rear light for you :bunny:

That's a low blow sir, just because I thought a light up facia was some kind of engineering marvel of unexplainable complexity :P

It's true, I haven't done much for modding cars, but I'm pretty stubborn about not taking it to a mechanic!

In my R31 I:

Replaced clutch master cylinder

Replaced power steering pump

Replaced water pump

Replaced timing belt

Replaced fuel pump

In my R33 I:

Replaced lower control arm

Replaced tie rod end

Replaced castor rod

Replaced front bar

Upgraded front and rear swaybars

Installed 4 point harnesses

Boost control solenoid grounding switch

Voided warranty because I couldn't be bothered going to a mechanic every 5,000kms to do something I could easily do myself in an afternoon

Please don't mistake this list for me saying "ZOMG I'm teh most bestest mechanic EVAR!" but seriously... if it bolts off and bolts on without much hassle why not do it yourself?

As far as I'm concerned I'll take my car to a mechanic when:

A. I lack the time

B. I lack the ability

3. I lack the tools

D. I can't find the fault

Do it yourself..

I changed my brothers turbo, dump, front and exhaust on his S15 in one weekend only hard part was the damn oil lines... And it was the first time I had even looked at the SR engine.

Hardest part with alot of them would be trying to get some of the bolts off after 10yrs or so. I have a semi decent tool collection if your ever in need of anything.

Hornsby is kinda far away but if its for a good cause im sure i can make the trek, Doubt you will need it but..

Then after all the work is done, go to a titty bar :(

do it yourself doof.. there is nothing there that is even remotely challenging.. its all unbolt and bolt up.. i dont know why you'd even consider taking that to a workshop.

you'll need a 30mm spanner for the hicas bar.. not a socket. and with all the threads on here im sure there is no problem that hasnt been covered before.

you'll be right... hook in!