SAU Community

Sorry Guys, Went With A Gt2

MGS996TT

wow the cats bolt straight onto the exhaust housings hey...

yeah interesting, it would be to get emissions as low as possible. the quicker the cat heats up the quicker it is doing its job. part of the emission testing they do is a cold start.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont quite get what everyone is saying about an R35 GTR not being 'special'.

I reckon it has a massive awe around it. See one on the street and it demands respect. The guy that fit my immobiliser has one and i couldnt pick my jaw up off the ground. He has had many big hp cars and says none of them come close to the experience of the GTR full tilt on a track.

Surely having the option to the latest technology as well as the raw drive is the ultimate.

If the R35 GTR doesnt impress you then I would like to know what other cars do.

Nice Porsche BTW!

another thing that takes off the edge for me is the service schedule. you basically have to mortgage your house to pay to have it serviced everytime you reverse it out of the garage. to me the gtr just seems as though nissan have run it too close to the limit in order to try and make it a supercar. sure anyone that can afford to buy a gtr can afford to have it serviced, but my point isn't about the cost, but about the annoyance of having to service it twice as often as something like a porsche.

I think Nissan did their job well, the car doesnt appeal to someone in the market for a $2500 AE86 or Lygon street show ponys that worry about what others think of them........go figure? ;)

If any of you had been into cars long enough EXACTLY the same thing happened in 1990/1991 with the R32 GTR

Now....go buy an Australian delivered GTR of that era, and an Australian delivered Carrera of the same year. The Porsche has not retained its value any better. Sorry :mad:

One just a Datsun for sure, but the others just a Volksy :P

Edited by Martin Donnon

haha what is amway shit anyway?

na too busy saving up money for an IP. :P

just a pyramid scheme thing, better to not know what it is.

nissan did a good job, they could have done a whole lot better, you can't just say they did a good job because it is good, blind freddy can see that the centre of gravity on the thing isn't any better than a suzuki vitara (alittle exagerated but the thing is a shocking design). All i'm saying is can you imagine if the japs stopped wasting time making the air flow from the side mirrors to hit the rear wing (apparently thats their word but how can you test that?) and concentrated on actually making the cars centre of gravity anywhere decent?

Also i don't know where you got your prices from but the only OZ delivered R32's that are worth decent money are the ex bathurst winning cars, the rest are worth under $25k now if they are in good condition (which most of them arn't). And any aust delivered 1991 911carrera 964 is worth anywhere from $50-$80k. So actually the porsche has retained its value better than almost all other car models of similar age, not to mention it slaughters the oz deliverd gtr's.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/result...odel_String%7C0

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/detail...id=125312BF1190

http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/detail...id=125312BF1190

You'r on drugs about Nissan having high CofG, having bad design or high roof line etc - Ring time of 7mins 26secs tells you everything you need to know about the R35's prowess.......and people that are into cars know how much an Oz delivered R32's are going for, redbook puts them all into the same basket:Oz Delivered R32 GTR

Porsche and GT-R keep approximately the same value. Judging by recent 2005 997 911 advertised it should be around 65% in 5 years time.

Wow, great discussion here.

I guess everyone has an opinion but to bag the new GT-R coz of its 'electronic aids' is a little harsh. Why do you think the car is so fast and has taken the world by surprise with its performance figures. I say good on Nissan for a terrific job they have done on the R35. Give me every possible electronic aid, if it means it drops the lap times then I'm all for it. Those who say that you need to have a manual car with no abs/traction control etc to 'feel' like your driving the car and show your talent then good for you, I guess somebody needs to fill the arse end of the time boards.

Don't mean to step on anybody's toes here but if you actually have driven a R35 in anger around a track and tell me you prefer a car with manual shifter no electronic aids then so be it.... I'll be surprised how many would jump out of the car dissapointed and unimpressed....

nissan did a good job, they could have done a whole lot better, you can't just say they did a good job because it is good, blind freddy can see that the centre of gravity on the thing isn't any better than a suzuki vitara

Well blind freddy bought a Maserati instead and he seems happy enough, although its slower, less than reliable, poorly finished, features lesser handling, and has a lower resale than GTR. It takes all types and theres room for all, so....nuff said - and good job :D

Aussie 32s command upwards of $50K. Genuine Group A homologation Bathurst winner :P

Hong Kong import 911s of 1990 command around $25-$30K at best. Puts it in perspective :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

Those cats 100CPi will no longer be emissions compliant so why bother? You could have saved a few thousand and made up some cat delete pipes and retained the stock system for the same/similar power :D

We fitted a Fabspeed Cayenne TT system as part of a build last week, and its was absolutely dreadful in quality and execution. A real nice way of putting $4500 AUD in a pile and putting a match to it :P

Akro gear is generally nice.

Are there any aftermarket cats that are emission compliant??

Just been through the difficult process to get my father-in-laws S2000 powered PRB clubman (newly built) through emission testing. After 3 different exhaust (cat) configurations we ended up with 2 brand new VE 6 cyl Commordore cats in series and it just scraped through the test.

Are there any aftermarket cats that are emission compliant??

Just been through the difficult process to get my father-in-laws S2000 powered PRB clubman (newly built) through emission testing. After 3 different exhaust (cat) configurations we ended up with 2 brand new VE 6 cyl Commordore cats in series and it just scraped through the test.

Emmisions compliant depends on the car, not really the cat, even stock standard skylines fail the emissions test every now and then with factory exhausts and tiny cats. The whole sytem is a joke, basically cars that are more than 7 years old (average use) have a pretty high chance of failing simply because they arn't as fresh as they used to be...

That's one slanted ass perspective you have there Martin :D

No one here is denying the electronics and whiz-bang of the R35 don't help it to be the daily-capable track monster it is...people who derive that from the comments in this thread aren't reading close enough. We're just saying we prefer cars that are more engaging/involving of the driver. For me there is nothing more satisfying than the perfect launch or the perfect shift, heel-toeing and feeling the synergy of all your limbs working together with the car as one. It's also something you can always improve on, so with room for improvement there is always fun in the journey to perfection even if you never achieve it. Perfection is a boring let down.

At one end of the scale you have the cars of ye olde era that you have to manually crank just to start them...at the other end you have cars where you push a couple of buttons and it does the rest for you / basically a train on tracks. Might as well get out and watch someone else drive the car IMO. So I ask, at what point will the electronics take it too far where you no longer enjoy the driving experience because you're not actually doing anything? R35 doesn't take us all the way there yet...but for many it sure is a big leap in that direction.

Now of course R35 owners say that things like the automatic gearbox don't detract from the driving experience...this is a moot point anyway because you people wouldn't buy the car if that was such a big deal for you. But there's a reason that not everyone who can afford one doesn't own an R35...it's not an everybody car and the fans/modifiers/owners need to acknowledge that someone preferring a different setup isn't an inferior opinion or perspective. Not everyone has an irrational hate on for the R35...sometimes it's just a love for what the R35 isn't.

Kujotk when you find a original aussie delivered R32 GTR in decent nick, for 20-25grand.... i'll turn into godzilla and start blowing flames out my ass.

A genuine R32 GTR aussie delivered is about the $50k mark as the last one I saw was $48'000.00

They are quite rare not many delivered and yes plenty of people pay that money for them!.....

Please don't tell me you think a Bathurst R32 GTR is cheap.... you will not get any change from $500'000 and thats a fact, thats if u could even buy one!

One of the original R31 GTSR's that raced at Bathurst etc is for sale for $210'000 at the moment. And yes people also pay that price aswell!

The R35 GTR is a supercar and is also right to have the awards it has acclaimed. Sure nissan could of gone crazy but don't forget it must find a happy medium for alot of drivers.

It costs half what a porsche or lamborghini costs and not only holds it's own but flips the opposition the bird aswell.

Anyone who owns a supercar is after a certain type of vehicle, ferrari owners love the association, lamborghini owners love the passion, etc etc

Not everyone is suited to a R35 GTR, but not everyone is supposed to be!

Thats the whole point.... its exclusive, it can be a right pain in the ass, they cost more to look after then ur house!

I'm sorry but its not a R34 GTR and never will be, this skyline is in a new league and many many professional car critics and journalists agree.

You may not like the way it has got there and may not like the lines etc etc, but its numbers and times speak for itself

Everyone has a opinion about cars sure... but the R35 GTR is a supercar and a pretty great first attempt at that!

P.S it won't be long before manuals become extinct!

*** Congrats on the purchase of such a awesome vehicle.... I have heard many great things about GT2's and never seen a dissapointed owner! ***

Edited by BOOSTA

And no i'm not bagging out the r35 for its technology side, i'm bagging it out because of its stupid setup, ring time is irrelevant, what i'm saying is if it was a lower profile car those ring times would be even more amazing, they failed in that respect, in a gtr you feel like your sitting in something similar to a corolla (its not much wider either). Turn the electronics off in a gtr and a gt2 or any other supercar and you'll know what i mean when all the other supercars are wizzing past you. Electronics are good, but a well designed chassis combined with state of the art electronics is a much better combination, all nissan has to do is get rid of all that ugly plastic, its bus like steering wheel, make it look and feel like a supercar by giving it a supercar body and not a deformed 350/370 body. Also the R35 doesn't seem to have a good reliablility track record either, but neither does any supercar so you can't say its uber reliable either

:)

Thanks for your in depth description on chassis dynamics and design. Unfortunately it makes no sense at all and has very little merit. Are you a qualified automotive engineer or are you basing your assumption on looks..

What does a high roofline on the R35 have to do with chassis design and dynamics. How much weight is at the top of the car compared to the floor pan and chassis?

Your assamptions are totally wrong and the numbers are in black and white which highly disagree with your philosophy.

And why is the ring time irrelevant? A true supercar should have the ability to accelerate and decelarate very quickly, aswell as mantaining high corner speed through chassis/mechanical grip.

It's your opinion after all and I can see why you bought a 360, you simply didn't like the look of the R35, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and your valuation of an Aussie R32 GT-R is way off the mark, as others have stated 50k and up is the norm. Don't forget there were only 100 of these released in Australia back then...

well you have missed the point even though i cannot make it any clearer. Everything is up high on the R35, the lcd screen, dash, seat possition, bose sound system subs ect.... its not just the roof thats high, the thing is just too high. I know the numbers are in favour of the car as it is. But if the car had some simple design improvements isn't it obvious yet to you that those numbers would be much better?

Theres a reason why race cars are low, theres a reason why 4wd's don't corner well, the r35 doesn't have the heaviest roof, but unless it weighs nothing then the position of the car can be improved? Nissan did the whole car right in regards to making it stick as well as a car of its height can do, but all i'm simply saying is if the thing was much lower there would be an even more amazing car.

Well unless your vertically challenged I don't see why it would matter if the dash and lcd screen were sitting so high. Think of it as a safety issue, would Nissan prefer people looking down near the gear stick for the screen or would they prefer it to sit high near the windscreen so people can use their peripheral vision to see the screen without taking their eyes off the road.

It's ok, Nissan have thought of everything when designing the R35.

Also it would be safe to say that the R35 was designed with the intention of it being a comfortable daily driver. I bet the mass population would like to get out of the car without doing their back, cars such as ferraris have a very low seating position and makes it difficult for 'larger' men to exit the car.

Maybe Nissan will think about the 'lower' stance on their new model, after all how else will it go faster than the current model?? :)

GT2 's are sick , to drive on track they make the driver feel more confident and controlled compared to the R35 , thats why people who have owned porsches and raced them , have now traded to the GTR mainly because the porsche becomes boring/to in control . nice im totally jealous !!!!! :)