SAU Community

Should I Sell My Car Or Upgrade The Turbo?

Hi Fellas,

My car is a R33 GTS-T with the following:

RB25/30 converstion forged pistons, rods etc.

256-260 cams

Autronic SM4 ECU

GT35R 0.82 turbo

Nismo 740cc injectors

Bosch 044 Fuel pump

Plus your other supporting mods (exshaust front mount etc etc)

My car is running about 340rwkw at the moment, feels nice to drive but just doesn't give me that thrill feeling anymore.

I've been keeping a close watch on the T04Z vs GT35R thread thats been going around and I've been considering upgrading to a T04Z turbo.

Do you guys think its worth upgrading (having to buy a new turbo, new manifold, make up new exhuast, and a new tune) - which will probably set me back about $5-$6K, or should I just sell my car.

Getting pretty sick of it at the moment, just not as fun as it used to be.

SO, is it worth upgrading, is there a significant difference?

speaking to Anna (Msnismo - who just happens to be selling her T04Z car) upgraded from the 3540 and said the 3540 was boring in comparison. The power delivered was very even, the T04Z kicks you in the ass wether you're ready for it or not.

What other car would you get? And remember, you won't get a heap for your car... sucks ass...

Yeah I figured I wouldn't get squat for my car....

Don't hate me, but I was thinking of getting a new XR6 Turbo... They just seem so easy to get power out of.... New car, can use it as a family car as well...

I think I am just going through on of those weeks where my car just shits me to tears.....

bakes was telling me about a guy at his work that has extracted a fair bit of power out of his xr6 turbo with just mild bolt ons and tuning...

he hates it and wants a gtr... he cant get traction for shit and the rest of the car is rubbish!

I dont get why anyone would spend that much time and effort on their car and then change it.

Like DRDOOF says, what else would you get? And really, how can close to 350kw be boring? Maybe your not doing it right :-)

What about spending the money on other bits that can improve performance such as a 2 way diff upgrade etc?

You gotta ask yourself, what do you find boring about it? Not usable power? Doesn't feel fast anymore? Are you over the car itself and not the power? I for one can't understand how a 340rwkw skyline could be boring unless the power delivery was shit.

Edited by PM-R33

If you are only making 340 from a GT35 you still have a bit of room left to go before a T04Z (450rwkw+).

Sorry, it pulled out 363rwkw on the dyno, but it has timing pulled out of it after the tune. So if I were to put it on the dyno now without changing the timing, it would pull 340 rwkw, but yeh, the dyno run it pulled out 363 rwkw.

I am just thinking, if I do end up getting the T04z, then Im just going to encounter more problems like gear box blow up, no traction etc...

You gotta ask yourself, what do you find boring about it? Not usable power? Doesn't feel fast anymore? Are you over the car itself and not the power? I for one can't understand how a 340rwkw skyline could be boring unless the power delivery was laggy or something.

Just doesn't feel fast anymore, I remember when I used to get in my car first thing in the morning, warm it up and take it for a drive, it used to scare the sh!t out of me!

It just doesn't satisfy my needs as a man hahaha, nah but seriously, once the boost kicks in, it's a really dull drive, its pushing out 22PSI but just feels like it doesn't pull like it used to.

Maybe I need to go for a drive with someone with a T04z see what its like, anyone in the ACT got one?

I just got back from a 2000km road trip (melbs to sunshine coast) driving a fully loaded holden combo. lol

so when i got back in my 33, with nowhere near 300kw, i was extremely impressed with it again.

Sorry, it pulled out 363rwkw on the dyno, but it has timing pulled out of it after the tune. So if I were to put it on the dyno now without changing the timing, it would pull 340 rwkw, but yeh, the dyno run it pulled out 363 rwkw.

I am just thinking, if I do end up getting the T04z, then Im just going to encounter more problems like gear box blow up, no traction etc...

t04z + RWD = no traction.

Much like a GT35 really, just worse!

If you have a 1.06 rear housing you should come pretty much onto 380-400rwkw in a 3ltr especially.

IMO the "feel fast" from every T04Z setup ive been in simply occurs because nothing happens for 2500-3000rpm save for making spooling noise.

Then it kicks you hard and pulls for the last 3500rpm or so. No argument a t04z is goin to make it feel stronger, but will it actually be faster? probably not. you'll turn rubber coming up on boost in 3rd/4th.

i know you are gonna hate me saying this, but what's your suspension setup? i know you had a stock diff last time this came up, so what's the rest like?

imho spend some coin on a good mech diff and some more suspension work and get full use out of your 340, it will feel like a lot more then...

i'm running between 280 and 320 depending on fuel/tune at any time and with 5/7 coils, sways, castor, camber, pineapples, struts, hicas lock, mech diff and good rubber i am still not sick of the power level....

go spend 5k on a daily driver. somthing eco and slow..... park the Line in the garage..... than when it comes to time to drive her.... you will never get sick of it.

+1

mate your car has almost double the power my car does, but i spend all my time driving an old mazda ute, when i get in my line its an absolute dream to drive, i dont really try to race anyone or be a hero i just enjoy driving it, the way it turns in the way it revs out & pulls hard all the way to redline...i just love it

I would like the sorta power u got but dont have the $$...but i enjoy it enuf anyways...

Call me pov, but sometimes to much of a good thing makes it not good anymore,

Your only asking for more headaches building another car when you already have an awesome one, xr6 turbo is nice but will never be a skyline and are rarely (if ever) better

You would kick yaself with the money you lose, i reckon buy a nice luxurious daily , something comfy and safe doesnt need to be too powerful....stick the line in the shed till you get bored or have a mid life crisis...lol..you may lose money keeping the rego up and all but your gunna lose cash selling it anyway...And when you drive it you will drive it with purpose..

That being venting the frustration that comes from daily commuting a normal car

Like Jay Leno said on Love the Beast, why sell the car, just buy a bigger shed... :down:

Just my 2c

Yeah I figured I wouldn't get squat for my car....

Don't hate me, but I was thinking of getting a new XR6 Turbo... They just seem so easy to get power out of.... New car, can use it as a family car as well...

I think I am just going through on of those weeks where my car just shits me to tears.....

To be honest we do a few xr6's and by far the most fun car ive driven lately was a mildly modded F6 FG, flashed, exhaust boost etc was quick, left nice black lines evrywhere and handled great.

F6 FG will be my next new car purchase http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-range/f6/overview.aspx i had a V8 gtp to test for awhile but the 8 was bit like our rb26'd S13 without the power... nose heavy.

The F6 has nice balance, nice interior and compared to a BA xr6 (i could not own a BA) its hard to believe they came from the same assy line.

I thought 2jz and rb30/26's used to be pretty crazy but 4liter turbo (may i repost FOUR LITRES) with a host of mild upgrades eats far heavier modified rb's and 2j's for torque and power.

Edited by URAS