SAU Community

33 Gtst Builds

Took it to the track today on Federal 595 SS. I am going to a sprint meeting in Stanthorpe on the weekend, and with rain forcast I want to know what they are likely to do.... They squirm and load in a really scary way in the corners and under brakes. However the are good for straight line grip and drifting on.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really can't complain, there a 235/45/17 which we get cheep for drifting on. bang for buck there a good thing.

Playing with intercoolers today, the old 1 had a fair bit of damage on it from the last 7 years of use and lots of abuse. Tested it on the dyno, 310rwhp on 1Bar. Not bad for a streeter.

Went to Stanthorpe for the Short Circuit Supersprints this weekend. 2nd in class (Improved Production) and 3rd outright. Pretty happy with that, only beaten by an FC RX7 Sportsedan and a 510rwhp commodore Improved Production car. Not bad for number plates.

Edited by Noddy

starting to look at the race car shell, looking and thinking about engine placement, "V"mounting the intercooler/radiator, steering/geometry and so on..... which to tackle first? I'm thinking engine first the fit all i around that. Or cross member?

get the engine where you want it then work everything around that, no point setting up the intercooler/rad etc and then finding the engine doesnt quite fit right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sad to say, the motor is out and in lots of pieces. Not for any bad reason like a spun bearing or anything like that. In a nut shell, the rings have been a concern of mine pretty much from the start.

When I built it at Christmas, the Oil control rings just wouldn't sit properly, they would bind up to the point that they really didn't fit. I ended up using the old spring, 1 new scraper on the bottom and an old scraper on top. Not ideal but it got it all back together. This has played on my mind since the beginning. I have decided after an airlock overheating event, to replace the rings and head gasket (which was reused as well), and give everything a good look over. Every thing looks pretty good, excellent even, that is other than the rings, they definitely look 2nd hand. The bore is spot on, thank God. Te exhaust manifold has cracked in the same place, again, so I'm getting Mercury to make a new 1 for me, Just couldn't be bothered making it this time.

What I have found is that ACL had ROSS in the US. make the pistons with an odd ring size, so you had to order through ACL to get new rings. Turns out that some one decided that was a dumb idea and changed the specs to a regular commonly available size of ring, ACL they no longer stock the odd size rings. Luckily ROSS do stock them.... I think, I've ordered a set in the hope they are correct for my pistons. The most confusing thing here is, there is only 1 part number on the pistons, even though there are 2 different ring specifications.

Waiting for the postman takes soooooo long.

Edited by Noddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the car to a meeting this weekend, last round of the Preston Peaks, Qld v NSW SuperSprint series at Carnell in Stanthorpe. Came 1st in class and 2nd outright. I got beaten by a WRX sportsedan, this is his run at bathurst hillclimb

He set a new standing start super sprint 4 lap reccord, 2min, 19.57 sec. I got close.... 2min, 21.48sec. Not bad for a car that is my daily with a full interior.

So with the series now over, I have won Imp prod over 3L and the series outright. :worship::):D