SAU Community

Ford Explorer - Cause To Recall?

GTR-N1

something seems a bit suss about this. you'd think that putting it into neutral would work. i'm guessing he didn't try pushing the brakes when/if he put it into neutral.

Yep. First thing I said when I heard it. Considering the news was saying that he went the length of Eastlink with the malfunction.... just sounds waaaay too sus to me.

+1 to suss. Neutral + brakes and then down gears regardless of transmission type. The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the ignition could not be turned off.

Anyone have any ideas why the ignition off wouldn't work?

The Cruise control is turned off by the brake light switch behind the peddle. As most drivers don't service the vehicles enough or replace globes or check that vehicle indications are working. You may well find Ford will look at the car and find a faulty brake switch. Which is a servable part on most Fords.

The driver in this case had obviously panic'd and has never had an advanced driving course for say when the accelerator becomes stuck open. Slame car to neutral, carress brakes, slight use of the hand brake to slow gradually to a stop. As he was on eastlink and the section near Wellinigton road is up hill the car should have been able to be slowed in this part of the tollway quickly.

I believe the driver is 75% at fault in this instance.

I think its great that he called Ford and got put on hold, then called the police.

He also stopped by hitting the brakes extremely hard and using the handbrake at the end....why not at the start?

Oh, and unsure about the neutral thing, there is another thread somewhere on this forum, same topic :ninja:

+1 to suss. Neutral + brakes and then down gears regardless of transmission type. The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why the ignition could not be turned off.

Anyone have any ideas why the ignition off wouldn't work?

allot of vehicles cannot be turned off unless the car is either at idle or in park gear for automatics.

But the gears thing is obvious, the guys an idiot, he complained that the gear button wouldn't depress, but you dont need to press that button to throw it into neutral....

also did anybody notice that in the pics of the car after it had stopped there are no skid/tyre marks on the road????? for such high speeds and handbraking the explorer leaves no marks lol

it took 40 kms and a pending crash to try and apply the handbrake and normal brakes at the same time... what the hell were they doing the rest of the time?

chatting about fashion probably...

Agree, complete and utter stupidity or an attempt of 15 mins of fame

The more electronics and cpu's control, the more chance of something failing with the driver unable to do anything about it.

I am not happy with the electronic throttle already in my car, now I just want to rip it out "in case". Whats wrong with a cable and spring anyway? Surely more reliable than a stepper motor and some plastic gears.

I will be interested to see the outcome of this if Ford don't silence everyone involved.

the explorer has the ability to lock the transmission however im not sure if it does it when cruise control is turned on. normally as soon as the brakes are touched, the cruise control goes off.

so, with a heavy and powerful car with cruise control stuck on and no way to put it into neutral (assuming its auto), it would be hard to stop. however, not 30mins to stop.

parents own a '04 V8 explorer.

Even assuming it's automatic why wouldn't it be able to be put into neutral?

the ablility for any car made and imported by a major manufacturer in the last 15 years explains that an automatic transmission MUST be able to slide into neutral without haveing to press buttons or complicated sequences as explained by the ADR just for this reason.

I'll be very surprised if this guy isn't on the news again for being a drop kick....

also worst come to worst, kick the gear lever if its stuck, the worst that will happen is you completely destroy all the teeth in a certain gear and the car will have no drive...