SAU Community

Putting A Turbo Back In

azzafreddy

what do you mean by spirited drive?, i just took my car for a drive out to work which is like 20 kays up the highway, seems to be guzzling fuel, it done this while the turbo was gone but before it was taken out it was really good on fuel, so one would think now the turbos back togethor it would be good on fuel again.. how much to get my car tuned just so everythings running properly? not like a crazy $900 tune? coz im looking at selling it asap.

Edited by azzafreddy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you've got a stock ECU right?

I don't know about where you are, but $900 over here is as cheap as you'd get anything done to a stock ECU. That's Nistune, as far as I know. My tuner'd charge about 500ish for a complete overhaul with my Vi-Pec, but that's after having forked out 1.8k to get that far...

what do you mean by spirited drive?, i just took my car for a drive out to work which is like 20 kays up the highway, seems to be guzzling fuel, it done this while the turbo was gone but before it was taken out it was really good on fuel, so one would think now the turbos back togethor it would be good on fuel again.. how much to get my car tuned just so everythings running properly? not like a crazy $900 tune? coz im looking at selling it asap.

take it for a hard drive after doing what i told you to do.

i know nothing at all about getting an ECU tuned, the way i picture it in my head, over time cars dont run the same as they once did, therefore you get it tuned right? so this seems like it would be a common thing that your everyday person (who dont worry about performance) would pay to get done, it seems like $900 is a bit rich to make your cars computer system run a little better if i may say so myself? my head is telling me it wouldnt be a great deal of work for such a small thing? or is it a big job? i really dont know.. i dont even know if the car needs a tune like when i start it up it chugs 1 or 2 more times then normal when im turning the motor over & its hard to tell but just seems like it doesnt have as much kick as normal whilst driving, like its quite hard to drive i have to make sure i change gears early to prevent the revs going all the way down to 0 and my car stalling, then when i go to park, turn off the ignition, theres no chuggle its instant, 1 second running .001 second later not running, its clumsy like i've just disturbed it whilst i was driving it, now its pissed off and wants to go back to sleep again. also my gearbox has gotten very very tight, extremely tight since putting the turbo back in, its physically hard to put it into gear now, i've checked the clutch its still pumping fine, no pedal lag, no need for bleeding it anyway. so should i get a tune or perhaps just do a bit of maintenance, change oil/filter, fuel filter, tighten a few things etc?

Edited by azzafreddy

why dont you just do what i suggested?

when you say 'tune', you do realise that you are running a standard computer, right? it cannot be 'tuned'. rather, you have an oxygen sensor which may be/probably is shagged and would be worth replacing if you're using alot of fuel bla bla etc etc. a tune requires a new computer (approx 1.6-1.8k then another $600-900 to tune) also doing a service would have been the first thing i would've done after putting the turbo back in.

just do the damn ecu reset and see what happens.

i've already disconnected the -ve pumped the brake for a good few mins, reconnected the -ve & took it for a 40 kay drive up the highway, still running much the same, like i said buddy i know nothing about getting a car tuned, a friend once told me that he got his ecu tuned & it made the car run great, petrol was good etc, i wont be spending anymore then $500 on this car for everything before sale so i guess a new ecu/tune is out of the question. how do i tell if the oxygen sensor is shabby? i just read on another forum in google that Ford EL Falcon oxygen sensors fit perfectly and are much cheaper is this fact?

Edited by azzafreddy

• 2 months later...
OMG what a read! This is fantastic!

But now i feel like I've just been watching an awesome dvd only to have the end of it f**k out...

Wonder how the ending went?

haha i know it was an interesting topic, the car is now running very well, its all together and working, had some other dramas with a coil pack that i've fixed but all in all the car is superb, im thinking about getting a dyno sheet done soon, it will be around 290 kilowatts or a bit more, thats what the previous owner got out of it.. it ended up costing me exactly $156 to do it myself ($140 of that was just the steel braided oil/coolant feed/return lines i ordered) beats paying $560 the mechanic offered & the best part is i learnt a good lesson from it all, cheers to anyone who helped me..

the car is for sale, check out my for sale forum.

Edited by azzafreddy

im just going off what i've read from other forums,

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sa...ed#entry3233745, that says 205kw..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Pr...ay-t117506.html, that says 220kw

i dont know if the previous owner had another turbo in it at some point but on this link (which does not work on my computer anymore for some reason) he said the car ran 290kw. it does go really really quick.

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/member.php?u=14128

I can't get into the link, but if you can pull 290rwkw out of that thing as is, then I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to re-learn everything i know about physics in general lol.

but good work on digging yourself out of a big hole ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...
24 minutes ago, lachlanw said:

Has anyone got the original pictures for this thread .  Is needed for great lulz

I just want to thank you for bumping this.  A decade later re-read was just as good as it was live. 

I would like said pics also. One of my old comments suggested I saved them. Who knows where they ended up. Lol.

This is a part of history that can not be forgotten  . It took some searching lol . 

This along with the mitsi forum link to the Arabs tuning that Dsm with welded clutch centers and spray painted gold oil coolers