SAU Community

Buying A R35

eastes

transmission failures are probably over reported. having said that, the full price for 'repair' is misleading as nissan only appear to do swap outs.

perhaps Martin can chime in here with his experience in the cost of transmission failure repairs.

the cost of tracking the car (if you are into that) with nissan over a couple of years before the warranty expires probably negates the benefit of the potential cost savings of the warranty to some extent. some of this may depend on how you negotiate servicing with the dealer, track frequency and other factors.

be aware though, once bitten by the performance/track bug, you will be spending more money on consumables and performance parts than on a tranny as many on this forum can attest to!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it now looks like buying a new ADM is best suited to me. Even though it's significantly higher priced than USA's prices. What an amazing forum. Thank you to the members.

Don, do you think you'll buy one? Where are you based?

Now to hunt down insurance quotes and decide on buying or use a novated leasing.

Exactly. This is what sells it for me. It's luxury and performance. And I love that it doesn't sound like your typical ricer. I like receiving attention, but not because it sounds loud.

I've noticed a few discussions on this forum about the logic behind not buying an R35. The truth is, nearly all cars priced over $100k are going to be mostly an emotional decision.

I definately agree on that, the R35 seems to me more along the lines of a Porsche rather than a traditional Skyline GT-R (in terms of its execution). I have seen a few Youtube clips where owners have fitted aftermarket exhaust systems and the GT-R sounds quite remarkable, truly exotic. Perhaps this is the missing piece of the puzzle and gives the car the added character at more normal speeds?

Thanks for the import website recommendation. $108k + customs will be about $120k

So now I need to decide...

Is the 2010 ADM model with 3 years warranty worth $60k more than a 2008 JDM model with no warranty, some scratches and no tires.

lol, that pricing is way off. add to that the fact that you cannot really import one any more. you can only import BRAND NEW pre-09 models purchased from a dealer. it will be very hard to find such a car. and if you do buy it for say $100K, don't forget to add 5% duty, 10% GST, 25% LCT on the portion over $57K, shipping, compliance (if you can get it, and it's around $10K), rego etc. I would say you are looking at over $160K if you were to import one now and like I said it's close to impossible.

The only real options now are to buy JDM one that is already here. or a used ADM one, or a new ADM one. importing a super cheap one from japan is really not an option.

I would probably go for a near new ADM or JDM, or hold out for the update model.

lol, that pricing is way off. add to that the fact that you cannot really import one any more. you can only import BRAND NEW pre-09 models purchased from a dealer. it will be very hard to find such a car. and if you do buy it for say $100K, don't forget to add 5% duty, 10% GST, 25% LCT on the portion over $57K, shipping, compliance (if you can get it, and it's around $10K), rego etc. I would say you are looking at over $160K if you were to import one now and like I said it's close to impossible.

The only real options now are to buy JDM one that is already here. or a used ADM one, or a new ADM one. importing a super cheap one from japan is really not an option.

I would probably go for a near new ADM or JDM, or hold out for the update model.

You said the pricing of $108k is way off? I found it on Prestige Motorsport. http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4855

The updated model is the 2010 model right? They can be ordered now. Or, is the updated model something even newer that I need to wait for?

Edited by eastes

Ok a few points from a JDM owner.

1. My transmission failed in 2 months after owning brand new JDM clutch seal popped at 6000 km's taking off agressively but not using launch cost $10-12 to repair.

2. If you live near Willall Racing great for servicing but otherwise its not good for servicing as nobody has a Consult 3 and if something electronic goes badly wrong in the car your kinda farked till you find someone with a consult 3 and you can buy them I think now for $10-15k yourself if you find someone who can get them. There are people who have them but they are very rare & you have to pay to use them if you can find them.

3. Yes we do get raped in Australia on cars & taxes not much you can do, just buy the car through your business claim $6000 in GST if you can and whatever other benifits that come with that, insurance & petrol it all helps.

4. Compare the R35 to a BMW M3, it eats it for breakfast in superior everything except ride comfort. Unique looks, speed, acceleration & gadgets etc. Not many other cars of the same price range to compare the R35 too as its too fast to compare much else.

5. If you buy a JDM you will NEVER use Launch control as you have no warrenty and these R35 transmissions fail a fair bit. Plus i've talked to a race team that used launch on their car quite a bit and blew first gear, then got transmission repaired again before blowing it again on race use. They do break the reports I believe are not over reported I believe they are under reported. Martin @ Willall Racing would know best I guess he repairs them all.

If you buy a ADM you can use launch control the cut down v2.0 which is extremely close to v1.0 in speed but without voiding your warrenty. But the car just jams 3.8-4.0 sec 1-100 just jabbing on the throttle anyways so launch is overrated and not really nessesary.

6. If you can get a JDM for $120,000 go for it, but I have a feeling there are more costs in there, rego is certainly $5500-7000 more thats for sure, thats $50,000 in money saved for warrenties people say are worth fark all when you try to claim something and you put that money aside to pay for repairs if needed. Your car might be off the road a bit more when something breaks but to keep your ADM warrenty I hear they make you pay $10k for new brakes & other stuff or you void the warrenty. Check into that stuff further though so much floats around the boards.

7. Have a good look at all the car colours, and make sure you test drive a R35 so you know what your getting into. Oh and when you get the car, get the blackest darkest tints you can. makes all the difference.

Easts, Officially, the current Australian domestic market GT-R is known as a 2009 model year. It is the 2nd series that had various electronic, transmission and suspension upgrades. The 1st Series are the vehicles being grey imported and are JDM. I guess if they were imported by Nissan Aus, they would have been known here as a 2008 model year. Forget US model year naming convention, the third series or update (probably a better word) will come to Australia as a 2010 model year..unless the vehicle doesn't arrive until much later on in the year then it may be known as a 2011 model year. Personally I would be waiting for that (unless I could get a REALLY good deal on the current 2009MY). It seems that with each model year/update there are useful improvements.

From the 2008MY to 2009MY a video (posted on this site) showed an improvement of about 2 seconds on a timed lap

(putdown to the improvements)

From what I have read amongst the improvements for 2010 my (3rd update) will be suspension refinements, supposedly giving the GT-R a better ride.

'buy a time bomb with no factory warranty and a 1 year fuse which has already been lit by some kamikaze in Tokyo with a need for speed.'

You forget that any JDM car imported can only have delivery klm's on it, hence new, although it must be manufactured before Feb 2009.

I honestly never knew that, just wasn't in the JDM market.

OK, pull the fuse out a bit longer... :P

Don, do you think you'll buy one? Where are you based?Now to hunt down insurance quotes and decide on buying or use a novated leasing.

Hi Eastes,

Yes, I'm definately going to buy one.......I'm probably going to wait for the 2010 Model, if I decide to buy a New ADM (which is highly likely)

I live in Perth, WA

Good Luck on ya purchase.....and keep in contact with me (by PM) if you can just so we are getting the best deal/advice :P (2 people researching is better than 1)

BTW........For Insurance..........The best quote I got was $1992/yr .......A different Company wanted to charge me $4448/yr.......so SHOP AROUND!!!!

Cheers :D

Don

Hi Eastes,

BTW........For Insurance..........The best quote I got was $1992/yr .......A different Company wanted to charge me $4448/yr.......so SHOP AROUND!!!!

Cheers :P

Don

$1992... ? who is it with, if you don't mind me asking? I am paying $2750 to Suncorp Metway with max life time NCB and a perfect driving record.

And I am not 26 either!

If you're loaded like Donald Trump and have all the necessities in your life, then yeah sure, I would buy it too.

If you're just an average bloke with a bit of cash to spend, think smart and buy something that will benefit you more. Ie. Invest, business or properties.

$1992... ? who is it with, if you don't mind me asking? I am paying $2750 to Suncorp Metway with max life time NCB and a perfect driving record.

And I am not 26 either!

That was from Vero Insurance :P

You said the pricing of $108k is way off? I found it on Prestige Motorsport. http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4855

The updated model is the 2010 model right? They can be ordered now. Or, is the updated model something even newer that I need to wait for?

having actually bought and imported 3 X R35 GTRs from japan I do know what I'm talking about. that particular ad is for a car THAT IS ALREADY SOLD at auction to a buyer in japan. it doesn't exist any more, so you cannot buy it. as I said it's nearly impossible to find a car that is over a year old but still brand spanking new (has to be to be eligible for import approval). If you do somehow find one expect to pay around 8mil yen for it (around $100K just for the car) the taxes I listed are accurate and cumulative being 5% Duty, 10% GST and 25% LCT on the value above $57K. Add to the fact that I don't believe anyone will still comply one (but you'll need to check that) and even when they did it was approx $10K and you have no chance of buying one in japan, importing it and then complying it for $110K on the road. If you honestly think you can, please get one for me too. In fact I'll take two! who wouldn't want a brand new JDM car for $110K? you'd be mad not to.

Plenty of guys have said the warranty is useless.

The warranty is not "useless". If you choose to modify components or fit aftermarket then Nissan only have the right to deny a warranty claim on the modified component or a related component damaged as a result of the modification. If you modify the brakes you will still have a warranty on the rest of the car such as all electronics, drivetrain, body, trim etc etc. Do not underestimate how much of the vehicle does NOT consist of just the transmission or brakes. What would a new MFD, headlight unit, seat motor or worse still, engine component cost? If your brakes wear out after a year or two and nissan wants to change all pads and rotors for $12,000 in order for you to maintain the warranty on the brakes you would be stupid to do so simply because you could probably just re-pad for around $1,000 or change to aftermarket rotors and pads for between $3K and $4K. You do not pay $9K extra to "insure" you against a failure that at worst would only cost several hundred bucks to repair using aftermarket parts. Same thing with the transmission. Agreed if the transmission was truly "unserviceable" as nissan would lead us to believe then too right, you'd spend a couple hundred extra in trans fluid to maintain your "insurance" on the $26K that a new transmission would cost. After all you'll happily spend $2K to insure your $150K investment against an accident which is always on the cards as is a trans failure. However, given that Martin can probably repair most failures for perhaps the low thousands mark, then you would have to seriously consider and weigh up how much premium you're paying to maintain this insurance. And yes, if you track the car and don't follow the strict servicing regime that Nissan specifies then you may lose warranty on the trans assuming you dont change the fluids etc as they specify but you WILL maintain warranty on all other items the car consists of which is still worth something.

And on a final note, I would take this line that Nissan peddles about change one, change all with a grain of salt. I recall reading in their disclaimers or owners manual that run flats are unrepairable and because of this if you get a puncture the tyre needs to be replaced. And elsewhere it stated that you MAY have to change all tyres if you replace one. So a puncture could potentially cost you $4000. When they stuffed up my wheel alignment and caused a set of fronts to chew out in 4000 kms guess what? They changed just the fronts.... Oh and run flats ARE repairable. Dunlop permits it..

Ok a few points from a JDM owner.

1. My transmission failed in 2 months after owning brand new JDM clutch seal popped at 6000 km's taking off agressively

Sammy, clutch seal failure is a random thing with the GTR and nothing to do with the way you drove it. We see seal failures from full track cars through to the gentlest of daily drivers, and there is no pattern to them. We obviously ship lots of WR35PS replacement seals out around the world, but when you consider the number of cars, the percentage affected with seal failure is very small. The good news is that your transmission has the full suite of strenthening parts in it, so that any of the random failures you see on GTR transmissions from the FWD gear falling off through to the clutch baskets popping apart simply cant happen to yours. Look on it as a good insurance policy that doesnt need constant renewal :D

Here ya go eastes: http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4882

$115,800 landed and complied, plus tyres (if required), luxury car tax (as applied by customs), and ORC's (based on 82.1 Yen to the dollar).

See if that puts it anywhere within worthwhile price range.

The good news is that your transmission has the full suite of strenthening parts in it, so that any of the random failures you see on GTR transmissions from the FWD gear falling off through to the clutch baskets popping apart simply cant happen to yours. Look on it as a good insurance policy that doesnt need constant renewal :D

So Martin, does that mean that ADM model does not have these, and is therefore a lesser gearbox?

Sammy, clutch seal failure is a random thing with the GTR and nothing to do with the way you drove it. We see seal failures from full track cars through to the gentlest of daily drivers, and there is no pattern to them. We obviously ship lots of WR35PS replacement seals out around the world, but when you consider the number of cars, the percentage affected with seal failure is very small. The good news is that your transmission has the full suite of strenthening parts in it, so that any of the random failures you see on GTR transmissions from the FWD gear falling off through to the clutch baskets popping apart simply cant happen to yours. Look on it as a good insurance policy that doesnt need constant renewal :)

Hey Martin, yeah I really feel a lot better knowing you put all those nice strength goodies in there thanks again for that ;-)

Drives better than new and smoother with the Willall oil's I'm sure you sell a lot of that oil its just brilliant and far smoother on the gears.

Here ya go eastes: http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4882

$115,800 landed and complied, plus tyres (if required), luxury car tax (as applied by customs), and ORC's (based on 82.1 Yen to the dollar).

See if that puts it anywhere within worthwhile price range.

You people simply do not listen - all these R35's on Prestige have been sold already, they are gone. I found one on jap site that is maybe eligible for import but I doubt it would still be around, and price was high too, but seriously guys, who ever is after the R35 the ADM is the best option, at the moment.

The only other thing it may happen is if dotars, or what ever they are called these days, allows the pre-Feb-2009 to be imported as used aswell. This is something that I quite do not get, why allow only new ones, but not the second hand ones.

Then you may get it cheap, 5,000,000 yen or so, and it would cost you around $85,000 here, everything paid for, taxes, rego, compliance, etc.

Chances of dotars allowing used pre-Feb-2009's into the country - not sure, but I reckon people should press them for it. There is simply no reason to allow only new, but not second hand ones, there is no reason for that rulling at all.