SAU Community

Whats Best Factory Ecu Or A Plug In Ecu For A R32gtr?

WRATH9GTR

Hi all just wondering if i can stay with standard ecu for the amount of mods i'm wanting to do as i'm only looking at say, 3" exhaust, and a bit more boost maybe a little larger huffers although if i can run low 12's high 11's with standard huffers happy to keep'em standard ... i'm not sure at this stage if it is worth keeping the motec m48 for the GTR?? as a lot of guys seem to use power fc's? any help would be much appreciated.

1:So what is the best ecu option for my amount of mods? bearing in mind if standard huffers can stay even better.

2:whats the mines ecu or is it a piggy back unit? if so how good for the level i want.

3:will have a HD clutch in the five speed thats it in the gearbox area.

4:i want it to atleast drive it min 4 days a week the odd dragstrip fun and track days now and then.

5: more interested in killer responce with ok top end, as i saw what the mines R34 was capable of on a more responsive setup.

regards wayne

You can run 11.5 with a R32 GTR & stock turbos.

However, don't think for a second that it will do it pass after pass without breaking a turbo :)

Nistune of PowerFC are the two choices IMO. Both basically keep everything factory (cold start, idle return, A/C load) and then you just tune up the map/fuel etc etc.

For what you are looking at a power fc would be fine (tried and proven). Don't know anything about nistune but people are rating those as well as vipec.

The motec is fantastic but just to wire up will probably cost nearly as much as power fc.

I would think just selling the M48 should still get you some good money. People who are building competitive tarmac rally or race cars etc would be interested with launch control antilag options etc.

I once bought an M48 new but the cost to install and tune was also expensive. Sold it and bought power fc, which made life very simple.

Hi all just wondering if i can stay with standard ecu for the amount of mods i'm wanting to do as i'm only looking at say, 3" exhaust, and a bit more boost maybe a little larger huffers although if i can run low 12's high 11's with standard huffers happy to keep'em standard ... i'm not sure at this stage if it is worth keeping the motec m48 for the GTR?? as a lot of guys seem to use power fc's? any help would be much appreciated.

1:So what is the best ecu option for my amount of mods? bearing in mind if standard huffers can stay even better.

2:whats the mines ecu or is it a piggy back unit? if so how good for the level i want.

3:will have a HD clutch in the five speed thats it in the gearbox area.

4:i want it to atleast drive it min 4 days a week the odd dragstrip fun and track days now and then.

5: more interested in killer responce with ok top end, as i saw what the mines R34 was capable of on a more responsive setup.

regards wayne

I have a full plug in loom set up for a Motec M800, I'm not sure if it plugs into a M48, I could find out, it has boost control, Map sensor, AFM deletes etc, flick the switches for 4 different tune set ups, MSG or PM if interested. I think the Power FC would be a better choice for you.

Nistune = board soldered stock ECU to allow software to reprogram it.

Adv - Cheap (around 200 dollars to do), easy, legal (it isn't legal but i'm not sure how any cop could ever tell it had been done easily), retain all factory engine safety and cold start functions.

Nistune = board soldered stock ECU to allow software to reprogram it.

Adv - Cheap (around 200 dollars to do), easy, legal (it isn't legal but i'm not sure how any cop could ever tell it had been done easily), retain all factory engine safety and cold start functions.

Hi sounds like a good option so were in melb is there someone who is good at fitting and tuning the nistune?

cheers

Wrath9GTR, I have the exact same inquiry as you do :)

I also wanted a more responsive rev and considered a few alternatives. I'm going to do a major service soon so will replace all the usual parts.

I would consider the nistune if it does the exact same thing as the PowerFC. Only reason I would do the ECU upgrade is to handle the additional power of the turboes that I'm looking to replace as well. Nothing wrong with them, just getting a bigger (and newer) one would give me less worries about blowing up. Can keep the stocks for spares. My car is a daily so I want reliability and the ability to not leak like a toilet (ie. same or better fuel economy).

As for tuning I heard a lot about Racepace.

Hi sounds like a good option so were in melb is there someone who is good at fitting and tuning the nistune?

cheers

Status Tuning in south dandenong supplies, fits and tunes nistunes (he did mine)

http://www.statustuning.com/

Drop by or give him a call.

More information about nistune can be found here

http://nistune.com/

Main benefits of nistune is that there is a knock safety map. So if ecu detects knock, it will switch to the safe map. Whereas a powerfc will just flash a little light and keep knocking O_o

the knock safety map is basically a idiot mode / brain dead feature

it's designed to be tripped when you put penis fuel in the tank and run the car on the normal tune

its hardly a full proof be-all engine protection system and i wouldnt rely on it to save my engine

the car should be tuned correctly (pfc or nistune) and if you notice constant knocking (PFC via engine check light)

then you have either

penis fuel

too much timing

intake temp too high

boost too high

so you change one of those and knocking goes away

only an idiot would ignore it and keep trashing the engine

Status Tuning in south dandenong supplies, fits and tunes nistunes (he did mine)

Main benefits of nistune is that there is a knock safety map. So if ecu detects knock, it will switch to the safe map. Whereas a powerfc will just flash a little light and keep knocking O_o

If you're on the other side of town go see Sam at Dr Drift www.drdrift.com.au or 0425 818 755

Knows it inside out.

Edited by Bozz

the knock safety map is basically a idiot mode / brain dead feature

it's designed to be tripped when you put penis fuel in the tank and run the car on the normal tune

its hardly a full proof be-all engine protection system and i wouldnt rely on it to save my engine

the car should be tuned correctly (pfc or nistune) and if you notice constant knocking (PFC via engine check light)

then you have either

penis fuel

too much timing

intake temp too high

boost too high

so you change one of those and knocking goes away

only an idiot would ignore it and keep trashing the engine

true, but if you have a boost spike, heat soak, bad batch of fuel or something fails in the fuel delivery to create knock it will switch to safemode before you can react to a flashing light. Its not a full proof protection system but its a step above a flashing light. You can also adjust how sensitive it is to triggering safemap so its quite useful.after all car companies wouldnt waste money on it if it didnt help

Give Trent (checkered tuning) or Sam (dr drift) a call and discuss the finer points with them. AFAIK they will happily tune either and will know the specifics for your car that may push you toward one option or the other.

Thnx rekin great info mate cheers.

Wrath9GTR, I have the exact same inquiry as you do :D

I also wanted a more responsive rev and considered a few alternatives. I'm going to do a major service soon so will replace all the usual parts.

I would consider the nistune if it does the exact same thing as the PowerFC. Only reason I would do the ECU upgrade is to handle the additional power of the turboes that I'm looking to replace as well. Nothing wrong with them, just getting a bigger (and newer) one would give me less worries about blowing up. Can keep the stocks for spares. My car is a daily so I want reliability and the ability to not leak like a toilet (ie. same or better fuel economy).

As for tuning I heard a lot about Racepace.

Hi rock i here ya mate... yeah i'm after a good daily and try and keep the factory ecu so hope the nistune can delliver.

good point about keeping the standard huffers as spares mate.

cheers