SAU Community

Mr. Keets Goes Osaka

Mr. Keets

Hey all

Well I missed the Nismo Festival, damn work, but I've handled that nonsense this time and I leave tomorrow. :(

So Wednesday is a day of orientation in Osaka enjoying the food and getting used to the subway. Having done TAS in 09 I'm not expecting too much trouble...famous last words lol. I'm thinking of Hiroshima for 2 days, then Kyoto then Tokyo for the weekend then back to Osaka for the flight home. Any tips or "must sees" are welcome.

I'm staying in a hotel on Midosuji avenue 300m from Namba station. If anyone is keen for a drink or a meet PM me.

Keets

yeah spend a day in Kyoto. go to kinkakuji (golden temple) and a few other shrines and temples in the area. also BOOK a ticket for the imperial palace. you must book in advance for it. if you can't book, go there anyway as the grounds alone are amazing and worth seeing. finish the day with dinner in Gion after dark, if you are lucky you'll spot some real deal old school Geisha with their entourages going to and from appointments. they are amazing to see in real life.

also just south or hiroshima is miyajima. it's an island with a famous 'floating temple' which has it's torii out in the water. there are lots of deer there and monkeys too up the top. it's a lovely place to visit too.

and in hiroshima you must go to okono-mura (okonomiyaki town). it's a building packed full of okonomiyaki restaurants (hiroshima style of course!). the best okonomiyaki I've had in japan was had in a shop in there. simply amazing.

check out den den town in osaka, it's pretty cool. there is plenty of good stuff to see in osaka and some good shopping too.

Yeah you could do the touro stuff or.....you could go chase candy...I love Osaka candy, they know how to have fun !!

Osaka jin are good value and bloody good fun to go drinking !!

Osaka aquarium is amazing, especially if you get there for whale shark feeding time. Odaiba Toyota museum is ok, I hear Aichi one is much better but I haven't been yet. You are only passing through Nagoya so it is besides the point.

Edited by *LOACH*

yeah osaka castle is not bad. a bit lame in that it's not original. but they do have some awesome takoyaki outside. close to the best I've had.

there is a cool place in osaka. I can't remember the name but it reminds me of the four floors of whores in singapore. it's a complex near a station that is just all bars. tiny bars. packed full of pissed cnts. very pissed cnts. that is absolutely no help at all is it?

Candy eh mmm. I know Osaka has a great rep for food and drink but I didnt think of candy. The aquarium can go on the list too...*remember to take waterproof poncho*

BB

lol that could be anywhere...i'll have to track it down.

I bought a GPS and a Jp map set...I'll not it as a point of interest :(

can confirm there are some beautiful people down south. osaka is good. and kyushu too is known for it's lovely ladies. funnily enough I have met lots of cool osaka-jin in tokyo when they were up there for a weekend of partying. :(

Well I made it in one piece lol , pfft who am I kidding, cheap business class ticket and some research got me to the hotel reasonably well rested and way before the prescribed check in time. Oh, before I go any further...when you land in Japan get a Suica card in Tokyo or in Osaka’s case a Icoca card....lower the stress level

But I digress; I’m staying a hotel next to Dotonbori Bridge...plenty to see, plenty to eat and within 50m of a subway entrance (Namba Station). I must be in the right place as during my first foray into the world sans backpack I was propositioned by two hookers but I was a bit tired and they were a bit ordinary. Don’t get me wrong this isn’t Kabukicho...there were plenty of Japanese tourists wandering around, some more lost than me thanks to my trusty gps and my ability to find joy in being totally lost. Most of them thought this guy was important.

Osakaday12060-1.jpg

The Glico man...he's been running since 1935 powered by caramel with enough calories in a serving to run 300m, hence the image. I must get some of that, i’ve walked my ass off and the endless supply of raman and vending machine beer aint cutting it.

Osaka, arrrrr... land of contrasts. It's so much more than oversize novelty heads...

Osakaday12014.jpg

odd company names...

Osakaday12028.jpg

and succession of fibreglass crabs.

Osakaday12010.jpg

Its also about food mmm m mmm, for instance this tasty delicacy of the region, takoyaki, little bits of octopus dropped into batter with a few other minor ingredients, topped with dried bonito flakes and bbq sauce.

Osakaday12047comp.jpg

Osakaday12049comp.jpg

On a reflective note, I don’t understand why these trick cyclists that are periodically advertised on tv are always Chinese...Osaka unlike Tokyo is mad for the bike. They’re everywhere, you think steering a big hp GT-R takes some skill forget it, I was almost knocked over by a chick riding a bike in high heels, with a umbrella mounted to the bars, talking on a phone, in the rain...now she has skill (but insufficient negative camber). Yeah yeah meaningless without a pic...but i was digging the short skirt lol

Anywho I leave you with a car pic... a 600 4 door with plenty lip mutilation but no sense..think it got towed

Osakaday12004.jpg

Osakaday12003.jpg

Well thats it for today, I hear theres some kinda car show on nearby so I might take that in and post a few pics.

Osaka Messe this weekend, well today, tomorrow and sunday.

My personal favourite, have fun.

Is anyone going to this? and if possible could anyone give some directions ? Osaka is only a bit more than an hour away and I got nothing on tomorrow.

PM sent..plenty of wagons to see Paul.

Too beat to post photos tonight...took 400+, there should be a good one in it somewhere. Probably go back tomorrow and concentrate on a few cars and tweak my camera.

Friday is definitely the go, I thought it was going to be a media day only kinda deal like TAS, but it was public as advertised. Not many peeps early but by 11:30 it was getting busy. A much more casual show, less horsepower more VIP...Junction Produce were doing a roaring trade...need a diamante encrusted fake padlock to keep your tic-tacs in or leopard skin ice bucket...they've got ya covered. Plenty of vans and K's, a few hot rod inspired K's that were cool and a bozzuko that drew alot of grins and a few nods from some older cats. Tommy K R35 and a shot at GT5 and Forza

A couple of trends in paint, lots of Infinities ect, vans with white walls yeah!!!, quite afew hybrid hotties...if there is such a thing, 6 pot Project Mu's on a Prius lol. BBS Champions are quite popular...thought it was the Garage Saurus Sudo-R...not :laugh:

Osakaday12328.jpg

I'll tweak and post the best stuff tomorrow