SAU Community

Restoring A 32gtr Back To Original Factory Spec

Thought I would post some details of my 1991 32 GTR which I am restoring to the original factory spec. If Ive posted in the wrong section please feel free to move it

I imported it direct from Japan with full history . It has 103.000Km on the clock which I am sure is genuine as I know the Japanese family it came from.

It is in one of the rarest GTR colours - BLO which was a special order only so putting it back to stock just seemed the right thing to do . ( plus it will save me a fortune as I wont be able to mod it :) ) I know it wont be anywhere near as fast as a modded car but I already have a pretty quick stagea so thats not a problem.

The car is in extremely good condition and seems to have virtually no rust . At first glance it appeared to be close to standard but when I made a detailed list I realised it needed quite a few parts especially inside the car

I have found pretty much everything including a close to mint interior and set of standard wheels which will go on when I fit my favourite find - a set of brand new GTR suspension units still in the Nissan boxes !! .

05062007464.jpg

The only thing I need is a stock exhaust system which has been a nightmare to find as I am in the uk .

I have a GTS one which fits but have been told the GTR system was 3 inch wheras this is 2.5. If Anyone knows better please let me know.

A pic of the car

22122007199.jpg

Lastly I have been told the strut brace is stock but thought it was originally red ?. Again if anyone can confirm I would be grateful.

03092008173.jpg

A few more pics

05062007466.jpg

05062007468.jpg

Any help with the exhaust or strut brace would be very much appreciated

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good work, I'd love to know where you found the original stuff....I'll be trying to do similar in a year or 2.

re the strut brace, that is not the stock (factory option) one. It was red steel. like this:

new_motor.jpg

(I've been waiting years to post that one)

re the exhaust, standard was actually 70mm (2.75"). No idea where you will find one in good condition, although I am pretty sure I have one in bad condition....not handy for you though

good work, I'd love to know where you found the original stuff....I'll be trying to do similar in a year or 2.

re the strut brace, that is not the stock (factory option) one. It was red steel. like this:

new_motor.jpg

re the exhaust, standard was actually 70mm (2.75"). No idea where you will find one in good condition, although I am pretty sure I have one in bad condition....not handy for you though

Best photo ever!!!

RBNEILDETT

Now i know why you always have engine dramas though

Those factory GTR shocks are mint!

hate to think how much they cost though

Exhausts can still be found although quite rare.

There was one on Aus ebay a couple of months ago, brand new for $500. Saw it too late unfortunately.

Have you tried Nissan japan? You'd be surprised at the some of the stock stuff they still keep on the shelves.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer a few questions

Its just a case of making sure everybody knows you want stock bits . A thread like this one on GTRoc forum in the UK has helped a lot.

Theres lots of bits lying around as people take them off to upgrade. The cost is usually not too bad (being a mate of the guy with the shocks helped)

The shocks and seats came from the same place - a loft . One of the guys I know GTRoc in the UK had ordered them and never fitted them. He was building a mint 32 but sold the car and bought the gold top secret 33.

Same with the wheels got pmd by someone who lived 30 minutes drive away.

The colour BLO was a special order only colour for 32GTRs so is probably the rarest facory colour. Its translated as greyish blue pearl. It a full pealescent and looks different in different light. Its a bit weird and goes from lilac to steel blue but seems to stay the same colour all over

3 more pics taken on the same day as the first one

27032008009.jpg

27032008015-2.jpg

31032008019.jpg

Ive now got virtually all the bits including the exhaust :O

Came off of a freshh import and the guy knew I wanted one from the forum.

It was virtually new and as they are so hard to get I treatd it to some TLC.

It was bead blasted and then ali sprayed. Looked silly in white so sprayed it with some VHT exhaust paint from a custom motorbike shop. They do all colours including chrome and metallic Black.

IMG_0011.jpggtrex.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Now all I have to do is find time to fit all the bits. I will probably take some days off and do it all in one go ; hopefully in the next month.

• 7 months later...

Its been six months since the last post and things can finally get moving again.

Unfortunately its taken 2nd place behind the stagea during the summer plus I simply didnt have a big enough garage to get all the way round the car with it on stands with the garage doors shut.

Problem solved . Mother has donated the rear of her garden. Power is going in this weekend then the work can resume.

IMG_0701.jpg

The GTRs home untill it is completely finished .

It is sharing space with a future project Ive owned for over 20 years which will be along the same lines if I ever stop spending money on Nissans

IMG_0699.jpg

I now have all the bits :clap: including working clock ,unopened tool kit and original radio , exhaust and suspension (new)

IMG_0690-1.jpg

The engine bay is finished

IMG_0694.jpg

So just need to fit the exhaust , suspension , discs and calipers , wheels , seats and refit all the carpets etc in the boot and car .

Should all be done by Sunday ( but I wont say which one )

new_motor.jpg

haha love this photo... it's like you swapped out the rb26 for fred flinstone :D

Can you post up part numbers and pictures of the origional tool kit pleeeeeease?

Cheers

Justin

Sorry Ive no idea of the part number - I dont think it is on the black plastic "holder bag" but will have a closer look

This is currenty sealed in a clear old celluphane bag with what looks like 20 year old tape so I am leaving it as it is .

AFAIK the stnadard 32 toolkit really is nothing special - screwdriver, pliers plug box spanner plug and rod. I think the jack and wheel nut brace are seperate from the toolkit.

• 6 months later...