SAU Community

Aeromotions Dynamic Wing

Massive thanks to Michelin for getting the tyres to me at short notice, and munroman too :) Also Aeromotions too for making such a cool product.

I managed to officially break a new class lap record yesterday; how good is this car?

Duncan Forrest broke the record for Class 4D which was set back in 2005 ... by 1.323 seconds with a time of 1.41.087 in his Nissan GTR.

Awesome result Duncan and great to see another lap record being set by a car with an Aeromotions Dynamic Wing :)

1.323 seconds is a large amount to beat the old record by.

Congratulations !

- Adam

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interested to know the result thanks Adam

large1764.jpg

Hi Mark,

There is a new video here of Mark Berry's Advan / Hi Octane Racing R34 GT-R from the test day we did at Eastern Creek last Wednesday with some in car footage of the R34 and some footage of the Aeromotions Dynamic Wing in action, along with some comments from Mark Berry ... the car is an absolute weapon :blush: ...

http://www.tunersgroup.com/Videos/berry_ec_test_mar3.html

There is an article here with photos from the test ...

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/...st_ec_mar3.html

- Adam

Edited by TheTunersGroup

yea on the video i though it had a big angle on the straight then flipped up flat on the bend

i always though it would be the other way around.. less drag on the striaght

im sure mark will tell us how much its better or how pissed i was when watching the video

yea on the video i though it had a big angle on the straight then flipped up flat on the bend

i always though it would be the other way around.. less drag on the striaght

The part shown at 3 mins 2 seconds into the video is of the braking area at the end of the straight as the car brakes for turn one, so what you are seeing in the early part of that shot is the wing in the high downforce braking setting.

In the later part of that shot, as Mark then gets off the brakes, the wing flattens out again.

There is another good shot of the wing popping up into the high downforce braking position as the car passes under the bridge at 3 min 57 s.

You can see sequences of the wing flattening into a low drag straightline setting as it comes out of corners and onto straight sections at 4 min 3 s and 4 min 30 s in the video.

- Adam

Edited by TheTunersGroup

• 3 weeks later...
Tested the wing at Wakefield yesterday, picked up about one second! Very happy.

just awesome stuff...cant wait to get my GTR

1 23 Marek_+1 Marek +1 Nissan Skyline GTR S2 1:02.8430*

2 22 Marek Marek Nissan Skyline GTR S5 1:03.8180 0:00.9750

Edited by Speedah

Tested the wing at Wakefield yesterday, picked up about one second! Very happy.

just awesome stuff...cant wait to get my GTR

double post??? wtf

Edited by Speedah

Fark me that is moving. Is it the fixed wing or variable one? Also, did you have newer tyres, different wheel alignment, more power/different tune etc. That is a massive gain from just putting on a wing at a slow circuit like Wakefield, espcially over a 62 second lap....are we sure its all down to the wing ?

Fark me that is moving. Is it the fixed wing or variable one? Also, did you have newer tyres, different wheel alignment, more power/different tune etc. That is a massive gain from just putting on a wing at a slow circuit like Wakefield, espcially over a 62 second lap....are we sure its all down to the wing ?

Tyres are the same but a different/newer set (i have used them for one other track day) so there may be some time there, not sure. The wing is variable/active but i was running it with a very agressive maneuvering angle (probably less than 1* vs braking mode angle) so i dont think the active element played a huge role. Straightaway mode (engaged about 180km/hr+) would not have played a role either, in fact it probably unsettled the car for a fraction given top speed is only 210km/hr there. Next time out i may leave the system fixed at 6*. I dont see there being a huge difference. The bigger question is, did the extra downforce play a role... i think it did. We have data from another r35 on the same day (with stocker wing) and you can see where it comes into play on the charts quite clearly. I think the wing works, who knows perhaps there is a placebo/confidence element, but it certainly feels more planted to me.

edit: otherwise same power/alignment

Edited by LSX-438

double post??? wtf

Marek + 1 = Duncan

Marek - It's me the slow one :D

double post??? wtf

Marek + 1 = Duncan

Marek - It's me the slow one :D

1:03's = slow?

I was watching some of your laps Marek and i can tell you it's strange seeing such a big car move that fast. Almost like truck racing, your brain doesnt really want to process what it is seeing.

The words "firmly fixed whilst the automobile is in motion" need to be clarified for their exact meaning. We will check with CAMS about this.

Schedule F of the CAMS general requirements for cars and drivers does NOT specifically say "active aero is not allowed" - so we will check with CAMS to check if the meaning of "firmly fixed" simply means something like "securely attached so that aero parts do not fly off the car".

Fixed does not mean attached. Affixed means attached.

Fixed means to remain stationary, immoveable, not subject to change/variation, etc.

So "firmly fixed whilst the automobile is in motion" gives permission to adjust/move the wing only when the car is not in motion.

1.02 at Wakefield and it's so standard?

Really makes you want to stop bothering with the RB based gtr's.

Well done Duncan!

Dont say that mate!

Nothing wrong with wrestling an old godzilla [with 400+kw's] around for an albeit slower but just as/if not more exciting lap! :cool:

Meanwhile back on the ranch.. Congrats on the 1:02. Brilliant result!!!