SAU Community

How To Block Off Standard Gtr Blow Off Valve

hey everyone...

as the topic states.. im fitting a gfb stealth fx blow off valve to my gtr.. now i know that there are 2 bov's, but im only changing one and want to block off the 2nd bov.

is there a block off you can buy to block the bov off ???

any help is appreciated thanks

if you really want to do this and if they're similar to the GTST type (which i think they are), then I would suggest getting some sheet metal (you only need thin, like 3mm??) and cutting it using tin snips to the shame, then drill out the bolt holes, then pretty much bolt that down covering the hole. You can even have it between the pipe and the BOV as if its like a gasket. My GTST originally had this done to it......it looked normal but go closer and you can see sheet metal blocking off the underside of the BOV.

Sheet metal can be had from bunnings, ie aluminium sheet. But its usually a biggish size for you application.

Interested also to know why you only want to block one off (though i'm not entirely familiar with the GTR set up)

A stock GTR BOV is better than any GFB BOV ever made.

Why change something that is superior to something inferior...

My only help is you to leave the stock GTR BOV.

For whatever reason your stock BOV needs to be changed, I'd replace it with another R33 GTR BOV.

:bunny:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Interesting topic. (OO)SKYLINE(OO), the GFB valve is capable of holding unlimited boost pressure, and can be set up for full recirc operation or any combination of atmosphere/recirc. I'm interested to know why you would regard it as inferior to the stock unit? Have you had a bad experience with a GFB unit?

Chris_GTR26, did you get it installed and working?

Best regards,

GFB Pete

Hi everyone,

Interesting topic. (OO)SKYLINE(OO), the GFB valve is capable of holding unlimited boost pressure, and can be set up for full recirc operation or any combination of atmosphere/recirc. I'm interested to know why you would regard it as inferior to the stock unit? Have you had a bad experience with a GFB unit?

Chris_GTR26, did you get it installed and working?

Best regards,

GFB Pete

:(

I should have explained myself.

What I was trying to say was, if the stock BOV is working fine, there is no need to replace it.

"If it is not broken, don't fix it".

Myself and a lot of other Skyline owners on SAU are strong believers that the OEM BOV from Nissan has a very high capability and will rarely need to be changed.

Having said that, it is Chris_GTR26's car and he can do whatever he wants.

+ I am sure through your research and development, your BOV will perform well too, as what you have stated in your post.

I should and will retract my comment in saying your BOV is "inferior" as it was said out of frustration as SAU sees a lot of BOV threads, which end up in a pointless discussion / shit fights / a modification that is misunderstood at times.

I am in no means to talk down your company and apologies if you felt so.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys... sorry bout the late reply.. i had a hard time with this set up..

but first ill tell you all why im changing it as it seems u all wana know..

im changing i because i want the sound.. not because the stock ones have failed or arnt good.. i just done it for the sound as i have always loved it.

my bro has a gfb stealth fx on his supra rz.. and i looove the sound of it so i bought the same one..

anyways as u all know the gtr has 2 stock blow off valves. now being a gfb BOV aint cheap lol, i decided to get 1 and block off the other one exactly how WAN7ED said exactly..

now i once i installed it.. ( HELLA TIGHT FIT ) i started the car up.. gave it some hard revs once it warmed up ofcourse.. and i wasnt getting the pssshh noise.. nothing ?? the air filters where making more of a psh then the BOV LOL..

so i checked vaccuum to the BOV.. beautiful it had heaps.. boost gauge was reading -90 psi so gfb said that was plenty to open up the spring.put the spring down to lowest it can go.. still nothing.

anyways after couple hours of messing around i simply swapped the BOV's over ( left to right,, right to left ) and gave it to about 7000 rpm and psssssshh.. but not very loud.. so have no idea what happened, maybe i need to change to a softer spring but have to see when i drive it... anyways still when i take it out.. ill play with the adjustment and hopefully at full boost its louder but i will let yous all know how i go.

so yeh if anyone is installing one BOV just block off the stock one with tin metal.. and she will work a beautyyy

the air filters where making more of a psh then the BOV LOL..

If you're still running an airbox you'll get bugger all sound out of it. If you want noisy induction and lots of attention seeking whoosing and flutters, install some pods (not mushrooms) and see how you go.

If you want flutters then run no blow of valves (block off where the BOVs were), or do the one you have on there up heaps tight. You also will need to have pod filters as you just wont hear it through the panel filter.

Been covered heaps, but flutters is basically air going back the other way and your turbo chopping it up. So really the air is going back out you filter (again pod filters are louder). With a properly working BOV installed however, the air does not reverse and go back through the turbo(s), rather it either gets dumped straight to atmo (usually illegal) or it gets recirced back into the plastic air pipe between air filter and turbo (the legal way, and the stock way of doing it).

If you wanna hear it, go buy pod filters and block off your BOVs.

Warning: There's debatable turbo wear from flutter (lets not get into this -> search)

Warning: your car may run crap/stall....some do, some dont.

hey.. i have apexi pods on them already...

im gonna get my bro to hopefully drive it for me this weekend and ill adjust it up.

i dnt want it to flutter as i know itll stuff the turbos up eventually.. i just want the pshhh .. which in terms i heard installing a BOV your boost reaches peak boost alot quicker then that of a standard BOV..

like i said before, i know the standard ones are heapps good for heaps of power.. i just want the noise :/

If you're still running an airbox you'll get bugger all sound out of it. If you want noisy induction and lots of attention seeking whoosing and flutters, install some pods (not mushrooms) and see how you go.

I had a gtr that I tracked, it ate one of those. This was 10 years ago though, we didnt know much back then.