SAU Community

Power to weight laws & P plates

funkymonkey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i remember him saying that... but lets see... 45min drive to weigh my car...

vs

2 min drive to weigh my car

hmmmmmmmmm

I too am keen to find out the P:W but not for lawful reasonings.

I believe insurance co's can refuse to cover you on anything illegal, its just a matter of whether they will or not, or if they actually know about this or not.

certian insurance compaines will cover p platers in an r33, however come accident time they will not be covered plain and simple.

You CANNOT use a weighbridge to weigh the car, and you CANNOT use a dyno reading for power measurement.

well i dont agree with this one little bit. why cant you use a power measurment? im under the impression you can!

Originally posted by funkymonkey

$0 vs $xxx

please it would cost me about the same amount to get there and back than i would be to go on a weighbridge :D

Originally posted by SmoothLine

Weighbridge means nothing... its the unlaidened factory stated weight they go by...

Bit unfair but its just the standard.

we know this smooth... this has been established... as explained we want to weigh our cars FOR US! lol so we know our own power to weight :D

i know of one who did

unlucky bugger

its only like a $100 fine or something anyway isnt it??????

ive seen p platers walk home from driving a hi powerd car..

and its a tick next to ur namei heard.

so if they catch u again ur handed some KY gel..

yeh its sumthing like that, i got that tick for driving the R34 GTR....Actually it wasnt listed on the list of high powered vehicles, but the curious officer that oulled me over, went home and actually researched on the vehicle ringing back 2 days later saying if i was caught again 2 year loss of my license.....:P..scary thought it is...he also said that if i had an accident that insurance would not cover it.....so now im stuck with driving a '01 SR2 Laser, but i still got the GTR, and im 18, it was my first car :D

Originally posted by GTR-34

yeh its sumthing like that, i got that tick for driving the R34 GTR....Actually it wasnt listed on the list of high powered vehicles, but the curious officer that oulled me over, went home and actually researched on the vehicle ringing back 2 days later saying if i was caught again 2 year loss of my license.....:P..scary thought it is...he also said that if i had an accident that insurance would not cover it.....so now im stuck with driving a '01 SR2 Laser, but i still got the GTR, and im 18, it was my first car :D

man thats crap... u could always lend it to me til u gte off ya Ps :P or drive my 32 in the mean time as its under the limit :P

hehe no worries mate, but at the mean time my dad loves driving the thing, ive got a suspicion that he bought the car for himself and used me for an excuse to my mum...lol..as he is a car freak...

well we r picking the car up tomz, as it is all ready with all the mods that have been fitted into it, and hopefully if it doesnt rain will be at calder park this friday night....:

Originally posted by Baileylsd

hmmm so u could by a skyline r33 gts, then get top secret to drop in a rb26 with 600kw

and u couldn't get a fine, lol what a stupid law  

the look on the cops face would be priceless

p/w = rated power of the ENGINE / tare weight of car

thus dropping in this engine would mean that you would have 206 as this figure. odifications not included as its the power of the enging as it came out of the factory.

in the same way it is the tare weight (which is the dry mass by definition) and so if your car is heavier then bad luck.

so basically, get a just-legal car (ie r32gtst) then drop the weight and increase the power and you are laughing all the way to the end of the 400m line...

Turboed R32/33's Skylines are on the banned list of cars able to driven on the road by P platers, they dont come under the power to weight rule as far as I know, RTA have a list of cars unable to be driven by P platers, then if your car is not on that list the power to weight rule applies. you have to go into Vic Roads if in Victoria to get the list they dont put it on their website. dont know about other states.