SAU Community

Power to weight laws & P plates

funkymonkey

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im well past my P's but when I was on them I was a good little boy...... and Im glad.

Whilst I was still having some fun with my little FWD POS's (my first powerful RWD car was when I turned 25!) my mates who had "non-conforming" cars all ended up in either poles (x3) or a tree (x1). And not only did they pay for it then but they are still paying for it now with higher insurance preimuims due to their mistakes.

When on ya P's we all drive like dicks at times (cause thats how we LEARN!) but powerful cars cause much bigger mistakes. And mistakes will be made you can be sure if it. So to this day Im glad my early cars were serious POS!

Im well past my P's but when I was on them I was a good little boy...... and Im glad.

Whilst I was still having some fun with my little FWD POS's (my first powerful RWD car was when I turned 25!) my mates who had "non-conforming" cars all ended up in either poles (x3) or a tree (x1). And not only did they pay for it then but they are still paying for it now with higher insurance preimuims due to their mistakes.

When on ya P's we all drive like dicks at times (cause thats how we LEARN!) but powerful cars cause much bigger mistakes. And mistakes will be made you can be sure if it. So to this day Im glad my early cars were serious POS!

Good call

yeah, it's a fair call.

but SOME people aint that bad.

yeah i've written of a reasonably powered car.

Not 100% my fault but yeah. it was making good figures.

And now i have one that is making a LOT more, and because of my expiriances in all my cars.. 3 of which have been of good power (enough to crack that P's limit)

i think im quite a good drivier.

And i dont think anyone that has been on a VIC cruise can say that im not a good driver. Or that im not incontrol of my car at anytime.

Some people yeah, only limit them, but for those who have the right attitude and are not idiots then i reckon why hold them back?

it's silly. why, the day off my p's can i go and drive a 400rwkw car, but the day before i could not. Either way.

P's or no P's, it'll be dangerous

Ash - don't get me wrong - Im all for euthanasia for those that wish it.

Im just glad I started slow. I reckon Im a good driver too as much because I had a much great error margin in my less powerful car when I was learning to drive. Because my mistakes were less server I could afford to expolre limits without huge consequences. As my skills and understanding increased I could increase the power of my cars safer.

Damn this sounds like a famous PS2 game doesnt it!!? haha! Go the Yaris!

i agree snowman,,,,,i started of small also........

we may be all good drivers,, its just unfortunate that the d.#$head in the "Other Car" may not be as good a driver....and unable to control the power of his ride.

well it looks like im the first to drive a "legal" car.

i came from driving an old vk commodore PoS, my NA is more than enough atm powerwise. BUT that said im prolly gonna get a gtst when im off my p's anyway.

Im also glad i did get the NA as i have already been checked for the turbo on p's, and my lack of cash wouldn't have agreed with the fine.

I when i was on my p's they had just introduced the power limit, and I abided by it. That didn't stop me from driving my Gemini's like a complete tool. If i had money back then I would have had more power under the hood. I personally think that the power restriction is a good idea but i don't expect you young guys to like it, I didn't. I was nearly killed when I was 15 by my uncles friend who had just got his licence and had been paying off and modifying a beautiful statesman for years, "let's see how fast we can take this corner" Lets just say we couldn't take it at 120MPH, very messy. If we had been in a suzuki van it would have rolled at 40MPH and we would have just slid to the kurb!! :D:D:D

well my childhood fantasy of building an EFI turbo Datsun 510 was finally lived a day before i got off my P's when i was 21...power was around 170HP(standard boost no cooler) to 960kg.'s and 3 days after i had it on the road and 2 days after i got off my P's i was pulled over by the Police who literally freaked out when i popped my bonnet..."What's...what's all this???"(dumbfounded cop pointing to the turbo plumbing and the chunky EFI inlet manifold) :D

they told me that the car's power to weight ratio was too much for the road, but when i convinced them it was legal(engineers cert) they then proceeded to tell me it was too much for a P plater...

after realising i had just gotten off my P's they fined me $165 and gave me my first canary...ahhhhh....memories..:)

Guest INASNT
what was it that NWA used to say?

thats right... "F*CK DA POLICE!"

That can be used for so much more than driving a legal car on your p plates when it comes to the vic police :D