SAU Community

Power to weight laws & P plates

funkymonkey

Originally posted by DJ_L3ThAL

there's a weighbridge 30secs drive form my house always open usually unatended... so its free.. if anyonhe wants to use it gimme a buzz and i can arrange to show you here it is :mad:

What area / suburb is this in DJ ? I am interested.

Does it read out in digital or crapy analog ?

Thanks.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously if my parents bought me a R34 GTR and i was told by the cops that i couldnt drive it........id drive down to sydney to live, it would b well worth it knowin i could drive a GTR any time of day(also u would hav 10% speed tolerence, 60KMP in suburbs and u could hav number in the middle and front of the number plate). i was lookin into this subject a couple of months bak but now i hear a fair few ppl r getting dicked for it. still doesnt scare me though.

Originally posted by R31Heaven

Turboed R32/33's Skylines  are on the banned list of cars able to driven on the road by P platers, they dont come under the power to weight rule as far as I know, RTA have a list of cars unable to be driven by P platers, then if your car is not on that list the power to weight rule applies. you have to go into Vic Roads if in Victoria to get the list they dont put it on  their website. dont know about other states.

i dont see how seeing as the R32 is not over the limit...

160kw and 1290KGs which is 124kw/ton or is my maths gone all ghey

doesnt it have to be OVER 124/ton??

Originally posted by Baileylsd

125 per ton is it.

if only i could be bothered going thru the vic roads site to find out :D

Originally posted by Baileylsd

soo r32 will be ok, well i know what i'm gonna get now

u should be getting one anyway! :( no bias of course.

Originally posted by inark

if only i could be bothered going thru the vic roads site to find out :D

You dont have to. 125 or more is 100% correct.

That list was phased out in '99-'00 i believe. Any car that was on the list is still restricted, however, in addition, all vehicles now have to be under 125kw/ton for p platers.

Guest gtst88

yeah .. R32 GTSTs are below the limit ..

i drive my GTR with Malaysian Ps ..

i dont give a f*** about the cops here man ..

damn piggies ... oink oink !

i remember looking at the info when i was getting my car (on my P's), and from memory, and please correct me if i'm wrong, the 180sx is legal auto/manual for 1.8L, is legal for auto 2.0L as it weight slightly morre, but illegal for manual 2.0L as it is slightly lighter and p/w is sooo close to the limit...

They used to have a list of cars that are banned full stop, the power to weight ratio thing didnt even come into it, you were just not allowed to drive them, I dont know if this list still exists but presume so, as said before if your car is on this list, dont try the power to weight thing with Mr plod as you will lose, I might drop into the Vic roads and get the list next week and see whats on it. I would advise anyone else on P plates to do the same, as it would be a shame to have your new ride sitting in the shed as you cant drive it.

here is an outake from Vic roads

High powered cars

While you can drive most vehicles, you are not permitted to drive a high powered car. These are cars which have a power to weight ratio greater than 125 kilowatts per tonne or with a capacity to weight ratio of more than 3.5 litres per tonne. A list of cars which may not be driven is available from VicRoads Registration and Licensing offices.

You may drive a high powered car if your employer requires you to drive it in the course of your

employment, or if you hold an exemption issued by VicRoads. VicRoads will only grant an exemption if:

• it is the only car owned by your family

• the car is used for business as well as social use and no other non high powered car is owned by your family.

Applications for a high powered vehicle exemption must be made in person at a VicRoads office. Exemptions are for a nominated vehicle and must be carried at all times

guys i got a 180sx and iam on my p's does this apply to me as well

why the hell cant have a dyno reading and the weight of your car to prove you not over the limit?

whos to stop all those commadors doing shit to there cars they dont stop em and say your over the limit etc

i hate these cops

its all bullshit =)

sorry iam getting abit emotional about this -=)