SAU Community

Power to weight laws & P plates

funkymonkey

Originally posted by GTR-34

hehe no worries mate, but at the mean time my dad loves driving the thing, ive got a suspicion that he bought the car for himself and used me for an excuse to my mum...lol..as he is a car freak...

ahhhhhhhhh...its all comming together now isn't it? :P

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by funkymonkey

a v6 camry is over 126kw... what's your point

Originally posted by inark

better sell ur 33 then cause it aint far over it...

No need to get all defensive. I was JOKING!! Lighten up!

now now kids

I think he meant over 125kw per tonne - I dont think the camry v6 is 126kw per tonne, it would be more like 126kw MAX power surely?

/goes to toyota website...

the latest 'sportivo camry' v6 engine is rated at 145kw and tare weight is 1465kg which virtually evens out to a 100kw per tonne p:w ratio

btw kerb weight [including fluids] is 1,510kgs so the p:w would be even lower using this figure

ps specs are for manual.

:)

basically everything you want to drive will be over the limit, thats the easiest way of looking at things.

very true, and there are reasons for it.. and that is mainly for your own safety believe it or not.

They go in stages with these things.. I remember once way back when, i got my P's it was pretty heavily enforced and you couldn't drive V8's and all of that.. that is when they had the defined lists. It was basically nope, you aren't driving it - i think even some of my mates were knocked backed on certain vehicles .. they couldn't even transfer the rego over.

Then a few years passed, and things loosened up a bit with all these 2L turbos, etc which put out the same as the V8's and the number of variations are probably too many too list. So P-platers got away with registering them

Now, with a few high profile cases (drags, cars/drivers being ripped in half), they're cracking back down on it it seems and you have nowhere to run.. because they *don't* want every young guy going out and buying a 200kw+ car for lots of reasons

If you have certain badged cars you're stuffed basically, a cop pulls you over if he's feeling overly generous you might get away with it.. All the cops know the rules and it only takes a few memos to be sent out and every cop is going to be on the lookout for a p plate sitting on a GTS-T, WRX, 180sx, etc. Then what do you do??

I have a feeling they're going to get very nazi on this over the coming 12 months.. they can and will drive every P plater off the street over the power/weight or change the rules to make it easier for them to do so - it can happen.

we all should petition against it i think lol, as ive got 3 yrs left on Ps........but seriously yous would all b suprised by wat ' people pressure' can do. i mean some of these rules r just so laughable that if u told some1 who lives in japan or usa they would laugh hysterically. i mean gauges obstructing view?!?! the actual P plates obstruct view also. instead of cracking down on 'potential hazards' they should b catching actual violators of road rules.

the actual P plates obstruct view also. instead of cracking down on 'potential hazards' they should b catching actual violators of road rules.

lets look at these things seriously now! this is not an example or seriousness.....

other states dont have these rules..... so if it was for our safety other states would have them too....although it is kinda peoples safety........anyhow this thread is too long to worry about anymore. :(

couldn't you say that your r33 gtst was non turbo?

what happens when you have say a r32 gtst with gtr grill/bonnet?

how do they check what your car is? badges? engine plates?

I'm sure they're either too lazy or not smart enough to check?

(too many Q marks :P)

couldn't you say that your r33 gtst was non turbo?

well they're dumb, but not that dumb.. they will simply ask you to pop the bonnet and look for snail. It has happened to GTS owners even.

cover your snail as well as the airbox? they can't exactly ask you to open it up..

say I'm not a mechanic and neither are you so I dont want any tampering with the engine bay because it will affect my insurance and warranty. :shake:

Originally posted by akeenan

l........anyhow this thread is too long to worry about anymore. :(

gettin lazy in your whoreness? ;)

I think the law is good. People should get some experience with normal everyday driving before becoming schumy. The way its governed & enforced is a joke tho. Too many loop holes that cant provide a definite yes or no to what cars are actually allowed.

be thankful vic has a relaxed p plate system. eg:

perforated P plates and ones bought in stores are OK... in NSW you have to use the standard issue boring plastic plates which you mounts next to your number plate.

You're allowed to mount P - plates anywhere on the rear and front windows (even tho its reccomended you do it in top right hand). In NSW you HAVE to have it below the windows ie all mounted on the bumper bars. ghey as.

From Vicroads site:

High powered cars

While you can drive most vehicles, you are not permitted to drive a high powered car. These are cars which have a power to weight ratio greater than 125 kilowatts per tonne or with a capacity to weight ratio of more than 3.5 litres per tonne. A list of cars which may not be driven is available from VicRoads Registration and Licensing offices.

You may drive a high powered car if your employer requires you to drive it in the course of your

employment, or if you hold an exemption issued by VicRoads. VicRoads will only grant an exemption if:

• it is the only car owned by your family

• the car is used for business as well as social use and no other non high powered car is owned by your family.

Applications for a high powered vehicle exemption must be made in person at a VicRoads office. Exemptions are for a nominated vehicle and must be carried at all times.

Licence suspensions

There are a number of common offences, such as speeding, failing to give way, careless driving etc which will result in the suspension of your licence but would not suspend a full licence holder. In addition, your licence will be suspended for:

• failing to display the correct P plates or not displaying P plates at all.

• fraudulently altering a driver licence.

• lending your driver licence or using a licence that is not your own.

These offences will lead to the extension of your probationary period and may result in a passenger restriction being imposed.

Extension of probationary period

If you commit a traffic offence, which results in the suspension of your licence by a court or Traffic Infringement Notice, your probationary period will be extended by the length of the suspension plus six months.

Passenger restrictions

If you commit a traffic offence, in the first year of your probationary period, which suspends your driver licence, a passenger restriction will be imposed. When you get your licence back after your suspension, you will be restricted to carrying no more than one passenger for 12 months.

Driving safely

Probationary drivers are twice as likely to be involved in a crash in which people are injured than a fully licensed driver.

To reduce the chances of a crash happening to you, probationary restrictions exist to penalise high crash risk drivers whilst allowing other drivers to gain valuable driving experience under the safest possible conditions.

like i said... the R32 is 124.xx according to the dry weight released by nissan of 1290 and the power output which is 160kw at the crank... so P platers with 32s have nothing to worry about.

Driving safely  

Probationary drivers are twice as likely to be involved in a crash in which people are injured than a fully licensed driver.

i disagree with this! and i dont care if its evidence from statistics.. it is not 100% true.

• 5 months later...

Hey people,

I'm seeing a lot of 18-21 year olds in vic driving what sounds like some pretty mean machines and was wondering how many of your cars are actually below 125kW per tonne. Also post up any experiences about the issue with cops or even how you avoid the law etc. etc. :D :wassup:

Ps. Don't know if your car's a HPV or not? Use my program I did for IT :Dclick