SAU Community

Precision Billet Turbos

So from what I can gather here, these turbos are great for drag cars or dyno queens, street cars or club level circuits cars not so much.

Im not denying the fact that they make awesome power for their frame size, but the boost required to do so makes me think twice about using one.

PJ do you have a dyno run of the SR20 5557 combo at say 1Bar to 1.2Bar (pretty common boost setting used in unopened RB's and SR's)

So from what I can gather here, these turbos are great for drag cars or dyno queens, street cars or club level circuits cars not so much.

Im not denying the fact that they make awesome power for their frame size, but the boost required to do so makes me think twice about using one.

A lad I know uses a GT3586HTA on his RB30DET GTSt track car, very very quick around the track - from memory around 460kw @ wheels or so on ~21psi... limited by injectors on 30% eth.

A lad I know uses a GT3586HTA on his RB30DET GTSt track car, very very quick around the track - from memory around 460kw @ wheels or so on ~21psi... limited by injectors on 30% eth.

That sound a little better :D

Bit big for what I want though (stock 1jz)

PJ do you have a dyno run of the SR20 5557 combo at say 1Bar to 1.2Bar (pretty common boost setting used in unopened RB's and SR's)

Yes you're right in away, because let's be honest, how many 'club level' circuit cars sport a 570hp turbo?

Aside from referring to a compressor map, the first two questions involving turbo selection is horsepower and boost pressure. Personally I think a 5557SP ball bearing would work real good on a 2.5, we'd be a lot more keen to try one on an RB25 for popularity reasons. The offer still stands for someone who wishes to man up a buy one from us.

Otherwise, you guys will be the first to know when they release something smaller, by the looks of this thread we'll sell lots to the 98 Pride Brigade. :)

Edited by PJ.

Yes you're right in away, because let's be honest, how many 'club level' circuit cars sport a 570hp turbo?

I can think of quite a few, lots of cars run a 3076 (not quite 570hp I know) and plenty run GT35Rs.

What I was trying to get at was how many do you know of that are running 30psi?

Justin's 5557 RB25 result doesnt give me confidence, but that is just 1 result, once there are a heap I can guestimate average power, Eg there are heaps of GT3076 RB25 results showing circa 300rwks at ~18psi on a stock RB25

The 5575 made a touch over 250 at the same(ish) boost level.

But who knows the next guy to do it might make 350 at 20psi.

Just to add, I feel that a modern turbo should not need 25-30psi to make decent power. Just seems a little "old school" to me.

Like the Group A sierra's needed 35+psi to make 550hp using the TB34 group A turbo

You're talking to the wrong person in regards to knowing how many people I know running high boost dude!

By comparing Justin's results, not only are you comparing a turbo with a higher horsepower rating (as you mentioned), he also is running the journal bearing variant (compared to the 3076R which is ball bearing)

It's not apples with apples at all.

And GT35's on circuit cars?

Did you go to Super Lap at all? I lost count of how many 3037S's / 3076R's I saw that day on the fastest cars in the country. The biggest turbo's I saw were the Borg Warner on the Sierra Sierra EVO and HKS T04Z on the GT Garage FD.

Just to add, I feel that a modern turbo should not need 25-30psi to make decent power. Just seems a little "old school" to me.

Like the Group A sierra's needed 35+psi to make 550hp using the TB34 group A turbo

SO WHAT!!! They were untouchable at the time!

In regards to the 98 pride brigade, I don't know how prevalent E85 is in Oz but NZ it is at no pumps but can be bought from performance fuel suppliers at a good part of double the price of pump gas - when you consider the rate of use of it going up substantially over 98 as well it becomes pretty uneconomical for anything other than dyno or drag hero runs, and then a pita because you'd need two tunes and become efficient at draining fuel tanks.

AFAIK E85 is about $1 a litre, however is only available at a handful of sites. I am yet to be convinced of its effictiveness beyond numbers, yet that is a sepparate debate.

I have a friend who dabbled with a 6262 on a ported 13B, he managed 285Kw @ 16psi. The car is now for sale. I may try to convince him to push big boost into it, yet the ignition system is in need of some attention with this combo already, so I dare say he will be reluctant to bother.

I would like to see an air temp sensor used in these results, pre-intercooler. That would be good to see (power vs. boost vs. charge temp), that would sort the apples from the Apples ;)

SO WHAT!!! They were untouchable at the time!

They also had to change the turbo after every round if they were lucky enough not to break one during the race.

By club level race cars I mean cars not designed to do 1 or 2 hot laps a session.

If that SR20 didnt break, would you have taken it to EC and done 10-15 laps flat out running 33psi on a 30deg day? I sure as hell wouldnt.

To me a car lasting a couple of dyno runs and a few passes down the strip doesnt mean an engine is proven reliable on E85.

So now the Journal bearing turbo is different to the ball bearing one? how so? Different wheels/housings what? A bearing type wont effect power output by more than a couple of KW at the most.

In regards to the 98 pride brigade, I don't know how prevalent E85 is in Oz but NZ it is at no pumps but can be bought from performance fuel suppliers at a good part of double the price of pump gas - when you consider the rate of use of it going up substantially over 98 as well it becomes pretty uneconomical for anything other than dyno or drag hero runs, and then a pita because you'd need two tunes and become efficient at draining fuel tanks.

I think this also, so you burn ~30% when just cruising, but wind the wick up and gain say 40rwkws over 98, you now have to add fuel for the extra power, so despite gaining more power you are going to use a bucket load more fuel at WOT on E85 than you would being in a less powerful PULP car.

Anyway this isnt a fuel debate its about the Precision Turbos.

Which like I have said they make plenty of power. But are they suitable for the average Joe Stock R33? For a standardish RB25 I still think It would be hard to pass up an Internal Gate GT3076 (preferably in HKS GT3037 Guise)

They also had to change the turbo after every round if they were lucky enough not to break one during the race.

By club level race cars I mean cars not designed to do 1 or 2 hot laps a session.

If that SR20 didnt break, would you have taken it to EC and done 10-15 laps flat out running 33psi on a 30deg day? I sure as hell wouldnt.

To me a car lasting a couple of dyno runs and a few passes down the strip doesnt mean an engine is proven reliable on E85.

So now the Journal bearing turbo is different to the ball bearing one? how so? Different wheels/housings what? A bearing type wont effect power output by more than a couple of KW at the most.

Mate, that was 20+ years ago.

You E85 sceptics need to educate yourselves on it a bit more before you pass judgement.

Of course we wouldn't push something that hard in a circuit car, it's our demo car that refused to die, so we decided to find out its breaking point. If you guys are willing to learn from it then sobeit, if you couldn't care less than I'll keep it Precision and that's it.

As pre intercooler temps Scott, as with any turbo, they will only be too hot if the turbo has exceeded it's efficiency band, it is NOT dependent on boost level, Zebra. Hope that clears it up for a few of you!

Anyway, I'm over it, if you want info on making your Precision turbo choice, PM or give me a buzz, there's a reason why I only have limited post in all the years I've been on here, because it's like butting your head up against a wall sometimes!

Good luck guys,

PJ

You E85 sceptics need to educate yourselves on it a bit more before you pass judgement.

it's our demo car

Good luck guys,

PJ

This is why quite a few of us are skeptical, Of course a demo car is going to have brilliant results, you also said the boost held dead steady at 31psi, when it was the dyno MAP sensor maxing out. I can understand you are trying to make a product you sell look better than anything else, but we are the ones that need to do real research if we are to give you $2000 for a new and relitivly un-proven turbo.

Guys selling Ebay China turbos have great dyno charts as well, but we never get the full story in their advertisments.

I don't think E85 is that hard to understand, Uses more fuel, makes more power, costs 2 Grand to set the fuel system up, Costs 5-600bucks to have it tuned, Cant get E85 in the middle of bum f**k Idaho, long term it will corrode fuel systems unless you spend more money on making everything Alcohol proof.

Can you see why some of us don't want to use it?

Guess not because oh look it makes 400kws It must be the best thing since sliced bread.

PJ I believe charge temps are dependant on boost level, the compressors efficiency changes as the boost level rises and as such the charge temp can change too.

Now the reason why I would like to see this is I would like to see the charge temp of a PT vs one of its rivals at set intervals. This would show us the actual efficiency of the compressor. Showing actual output vs boost vs temp would give great insight to those trying to decide if this line of turbos is for them. Obviously the lower the charge temp at peak power for the said turbo would be best.

We have seen on other turbos prior (35R particularly) that E85 can work wonders in pushing the compressor out of its efficiency.. Something that you just shouldnt do on 98. Pushing it out of efficiency is directly related to boost pressure (as per a compressor map) and as such plays a big part in the application of the turbo.

With no compressor maps to hand it would be very interesting to see charge temps of a said PT on an RB25 vs its mainstream competitor. I would love to see 3071 v 3076 v 5557.

One more thing, please take the skirt off and come back to the topic. Noone is picking on you or the product, we are just assholes that love to get technical.

Well, I finally received my PT 5857 yesterday and will hopefully have results soon and by that i mean around february next year. I still have lots more to buy. My aim is 300rwkw without an insane amount of boost, hopefully i'll get that.

cheers! cheers.gif

Nice, keep us posted - shouldn't be any reason it shouldn't be able to do that... look forward to seeing dyno plots to show spool etc as well. On pump gas I assume?

I'm hoping pump gas cause here we dont have 98RON. Dunno what the knock is gonna be on our horrible gas, might have to go water/meth inj. for a save tune.