SAU Community

The Answer To Melbournes Water Problems?

~R33AzzA~

Argh... seeing how 'easy' something is makes it even more painful that it's not happening. Some crazy rich person should invest in this...

If it was anything other than pie in the sky, someone would have done it.

It's a rubbish idea that fails to take into account a realistic financial cost and the political ramifications of putting our water security into the hands of another.

Is there really any practical solution here in Victoria? It's not as if Tasmania's a different country (even if some might like to think so). Political ramifications will be insignificant once we're out of water.

If it was anything other than pie in the sky, someone would have done it.

It's a rubbish idea that fails to take into account a realistic financial cost and the political ramifications of putting our water security into the hands of another.

Hell why not. The perth/kalgoorlie pipeline was completed in 1903 and that is close to 500km with about 10 pumping stations. Without pumps another 100 year of technological advancement, it should be childs play. Especially because of all the electricity lines etc already.

But hey the pollies only do what they want.

Hell why not. The perth/kalgoorlie pipeline was completed in 1903 and that is close to 500km with about 10 pumping stations. Without pumps another 100 year of technological advancement, it should be childs play. Especially because of all the electricity lines etc already.

But hey the pollies only do what they want.

Agreed, not to mention the north-south pipline is being done. So why not this one..

As much as I would love for this to happen I just dont think it will, there is to great an argument that there will be many future jobs lost now the desal plant is under construction.

Lets just hope it gets around and a pollie makes this one of there election promisses.

Lets just hope it gets around and a pollie makes this one of there election promisses.

Because if there's one thing politicians are known for, it's keeping their promises.

Agreed, not to mention the north-south pipline is being done. So why not this one..

As much as I would love for this to happen I just dont think it will, there is to great an argument that there will be many future jobs lost now the desal plant is under construction.

The north south pipeline cost $700mil and was 70 ks overland. How is a 690k pipe under water going to cost half that?

Pie in the sky.

I used to be a believer in silver bullets. However, having worked in government I have now learnt that rarely, of ever, do sliver bullets exist. Things things are way more complicated than the young liberal dude in the vid would have you believe.

The north south pipeline cost $700mil and was 70 ks overland. How is a 690k pipe under water going to cost half that?

Pie in the sky.

I used to be a believer in silver bullets. However, having worked in government I have now learnt that rarely, of ever, do sliver bullets exist. Things things are way more complicated than the young liberal dude in the vid would have you believe.

Thought it was 360km, and didn't he say 2.3billion dollars..

What on earth are talking about? The state government doesn't tax water. In fact the state government had very little opportunity to raise tax. That generally falls into the domain of the feds.

And I know the state government has looked at piping water from Tas but it not a 100% reliable or a cost effective way of securing water.

Desal is one of our best options as it's reliable and cost effective. Environmental impact will be minimal as they have committee to buying green power for it which will guarantee 500 million a year for the power industry which will be invested in renewable sources. Already a 186 turbine wind farm is underway purely thanks to the Desal plant.

Desal, combined with small scale local harvesting and improvements in residential and industrial water consumption is what will secure our water supply.

The Tas pipe is a half baked idea concocted by some young libs. It's pie in the sky.

I think its a brilliant idea but its also flawed in one large fashion, you cant rely on something like this for the majority of Melbourne's water because if it breaks it will take time to fix, I still think we should build it though it is a bargain to supplement Melbourne's current and future water usage but should be used in conjuction with more catchment areas and dams, no point having all this extra water from Tassie and no damns to store it in because the state government is too short sighted to build more.

you know youtube is actually paying people that get mass views of their videos (i'd assume its like a divend of what they get through advertising). video man is also pretty pushy at the end of the video to show as many people as possible.

good idea or not, old mate's trying to make a quid himsef out of this

Desal is one of our best options as it's reliable and cost effective. Environmental impact will be minimal as they have committee to buying green power for it which will guarantee 500 million a year for the power industry which will be invested in renewable sources. Already a 186 turbine wind farm is underway purely thanks to the Desal plant.

Desal, combined with small scale local harvesting and improvements in residential and industrial water consumption is what will secure our water supply.

The Tas pipe is a half baked idea concocted by some young libs. It's pie in the sky.

I though he comapred the costs of a tassie pipeline to the desal plant which was more? There was never any comparison between the N-S Pipe and the tassie pipe? What makes the tassie pipeline unreliable and non-cost effective? Fair enough they have commited to buying green power for desal but from where, we have both government and company owned suppliers some of which are internationally owned also? Maybe the money they could have saved on a tassie pipeline could have been spent on renewable energy projects?

So you want to restrict water useage more to failitate a more expensive less productive option when there seems to be another fairly vaible option that as yet no real downfalls/issues have been mentioned? If other places can viabily do it between countries I don't see there being too much of an issue with us doing it between states.

There may be reasons why a tassie pipeline wouldn't work, I'm just interested to know what they are as opposed to someone telling me it's pie in the sky.....

Its a great idea and cheap to build because it is so simple. Laying a pipe on the sand, how hard can it be?

Pollies only push what they are told to push unfortunately.

A reliable source of existing clean water with no ongoing energy costs is exactly what we need. None of the other options come close.

The state government does tax water - through all the authorities that send you a bill each quarter for supply of water to homes, and a sewerage and stormwater discharge cost.

Where is the "green power" going to come from? I doubt there is enough available to power all the current domestic consumers who have been sucked in to paying a premium for "green power". So how is there going to be an excess for the desal plant to run? And how can they guarantee that every little electron supplied has actually come from a "green" source?

I figure you could give every house in Melbourne a 2 or 3 thousand litre tank. Might cost the same as the desal plant, but that's where it ends - no ongoing running costs, no ongoing maintenance costs, no ongoing carbon footprint. The average Melbourne house could harvest more than 100k litres each year. Water your garden to your heart's content. Flush the toilet to your heart's content with water harvested from the rain falling on the roof.

Why can't they build a pipeline from N Qld, or even the Ord River in WA? (They built the Snowy Mtns scheme). Did you know that more water than is in Sydney Harbour flows out of the Ord River dam EVERY DAY. Fresh water going to waste! Politicians are forever saying what CAN'T be done, but have very little to say about what CAN be done.