SAU Community

Garage Set Ups

boxheadmr

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh this will be interesting!!!!

we just settled on a house to buy which has a large single garage with big storage, keen to see and get some ideas!

esp with tyre storage! spared rims and semi slicks, gotta work out what to do!

yeah we bought a house recently with a nice large garage with plenty of room, probally fit 4 cars and was a minor factor in the purchase. Got a lot of the renovations done and started to clean the concrete and going to paint with somejet dry soon but looking at building some benches and storage racks etc.

oh this will be interesting!!!!

we just settled on a house to buy which has a large single garage with big storage, keen to see and get some ideas!

esp with tyre storage! spared rims and semi slicks, gotta work out what to do!

Im gonna make up an overhead rack for my wheels and stuff until i get a little shed as may garage is quite small

check out www.garagejournal.com forums for handy things on storage and cheap ass ideas.. also lots of pictures of other peoples modest 2 car garages and such.. the best one to check is Jack Olsens 12 Gauge garage in the garage gallery thread.. such a little space with soo many ideas.. another good one is by Jaysinn Spaceman..

heres a pic of mine.. its 5m wide and 6m long... so you could fit 2 cars in there if you really really wanted to, but you couldnt get them both in anyway due to the driveway... its great as a big one car garage with a good work area. been in there for one year now and am getting it reasonably well setup.. it was a mere tin can when we first moved in.. used for housing a car and nothing else, no lights, benches, anything... hint.. solid doors make great benchtops

front.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

07032010812.jpg

09042010907.jpg

cheers

Linton

my brother has a 25x40' shed we put up ourselves... we lined one whole side with a heap of interior doors - full size door at the bottom, 1/3 of a door at the top to make one giant 'built in robe'. In the middle we had a bench section about 2.5m long with the same 1/3 height doors over the top.

The whole thing is about 900mm deep, so we still have room for 4 cars in the garage, plus room to walk down the side comfortably between the cars and the storage area.

Some sections have no shelves - so that we can store long bits of wood/steel vertically, others have a shelf at bench height and another at the height of the top of the door.

Sadly though I still don't own a good shed myself (submitting plans at the moment), so my CNC mill is at work, and my race car is in a mates shed 30 minutes drive away - makes it very hard to get stuff done.

Edited by samstain

Wow, they really take garages seriously!

if you take you car seriously... why would you not take its home seriously?? a clean and organised workspace thats properly lit can save a lot of hassle in missing bolts, tools, and trip hazards.

you have to remember that its an american forum.. 18 gazillion times the population of here, so theres bound to be a few OCD garage nuts... there are some top garage ideas and handy hints though.

Keeping an eye on this as I'm hopefully going to start sorting mine out in the next few weeks.

So far will do the floor in an epoxy coat, and use a peg board at the back with a bench along the back wall.

I'm actually thinking of getting a mate to do some kind of painting on one of the walls of the Winfield GTR coming over Skyline at bathurst, but just an idea for now :-)

Keeping an eye on this as I'm hopefully going to start sorting mine out in the next few weeks.

So far will do the floor in an epoxy coat, and use a peg board at the back with a bench along the back wall.

I'm actually thinking of getting a mate to do some kind of painting on one of the walls of the Winfield GTR coming over Skyline at bathurst, but just an idea for now :-)

what kind of painting?

my dad made all the benches in our garage from steel, they are pretty neat pity the only thing on them is his junk and a few gtr parts..

i'll try get some photos. its a large garage however.. 2 car

Just a few simple ones (sorry don't have photos):

Get a decent size bench vice, not some pissy little 4 inch jaw thing.

You can never have too much light. I have a small 2 car garage and i have 6 twin fluros in it. It's lighter inside than out on an overcast day. Make sure you position at least one light directly over your main work areas so you aren't casting a shadow on whatever you are working on. You may also want to reposition the light switch to be near a door as it can be a pita crossing the garage in the dark.

too_much_boost has a fairly massive garage and has run an air line through the roof and has a few points through out the garage to hook into, rather than having to unroll a hose and drag it across the garage to reach stuff all the time.

Add power points at your bench so you aren't running extension cables everywhere. I added 4 power points, 2 new ones for the roller doors so they weren't reaching half way around the garage and 2 new ones on the bench, plus i have the original 2 not far from the bench if i ever need to put stuff on charge out of the way while i'm working and to plug in the compressor.

Next step is better storage.

interested in seeing what people have done with there garage set ups' and storge spaces as i am trying to set mine up. Post up some photos of your handy work

I don't have alot of room, and its nothing flash like the links posted, but its functional. Several cars have been built under here.

Decent size work bench made from hardwood left over from building the fence, with a thick marine ply top, capped with steel sheet.

Some old shelving a mate removed from his workshop when he moved in there and set it up the way he wanted it.

An old cupboard for lockable tool storage. And a couple of extra flouro lights from a mate who's a shopfitter removed from old fit-outs.

A little TV so I don't have to miss any motorsport or cricket while I'm tinkering...

you can't see the beer fridge in the other corner

Have been meaning to line the interior walls and do something with the floor for a while now.

post-15659-1272532993_thumb.jpg

post-15659-1272533011_thumb.jpg

post-15659-1272533141_thumb.jpg

I don't have alot of room, and its nothing flash like the links posted, but its functional. Several cars have been built under here.

Decent size work bench made from hardwood left over from building the fence, with a thick marine ply top, capped with steel sheet.

Some old shelving a mate removed from his workshop when he moved in there and set it up the way he wanted it.

An old cupboard for lockable tool storage. And a couple of extra flouro lights from a mate who's a shopfitter removed from old fit-outs.

A little TV so I don't have to miss any motorsport or cricket while I'm tinkering...

you can't see the beer fridge in the other corner

Have been meaning to line the interior walls and do something with the floor for a while now.

Do you have any pics of how you hung the block and tackle....

I trying to figure out if my roof will support it

Do you have any pics of how you hung the block and tackle....

I trying to figure out if my roof will support it

no pic, but it's hung from a chain looped around an exposed hardwood beam.